Question for fellow runners (and any orthopedists)

What a coincidence! SIL and I were talking this morning about doing (trying) one more marathon. She suggested the Flying Pig. It looks like a hoot!

It definitely is. Not this year; it's going to be virtual. But normally it's a riot. Crowds of cheering supporters along the entire route and lots of bands and other entertainment to keep your spirits up.

I've done the full once and the half a few times, and it's one of my favorites too.

Another one I really love (and also nearby) is the Air Force marathon near Dayton. That one is without a doubt the best organized race anywhere. And they always have a very impressive aircraft do a flyover at the start. It's also fun to see the looks on finishers' faces when a uniformed full Colonel or Chief Master Sergeant puts the ribbon around their neck at the finish line.

If running caused me too much pain or medical problems, I would stick with just walking. The important thing is moving. Getting out there.
I think it's worth trying for an easy fix to a problem, if one wants to keep running. I'm much more motivated to run, and enjoy it more. If I had to cut back to walking, I'd do it, but I'd try things like different shoes first.

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard really good things about Flying Pig.

I don’t have anything to add to OP’s question really. FWIW, I use Mizuno WaveRiders for my running. For years they’ve served me well, even though they feel compelled to constantly change the versions of them.

But, on a different running topic. I recently watched a documentary/show called the Barkley Marathons. It was either Netflix or Amazon Prime, I don’t remember. I highly recommend it. I’d never heard of this event, but it was entertaining, inspirational, and exhausting. I enjoyed it a lot.

But, on a different running topic. I recently watched a documentary/show called the Barkley Marathons. It was either Netflix or Amazon Prime, I don’t remember. I highly recommend it. I’d never heard of this event, but it was entertaining, inspirational, and exhausting. I enjoyed it a lot.
That's a legendary race in the trail running community. I know one of the few finishers of it pretty well. He said it was the hardest thing he's ever done. And he once held the AT anc PCT speed records, and has run across the US on pavement. It is a good documentary too.

That's a legendary race in the trail running community. I know one of the few finishers of it pretty well. He said it was the hardest thing he's ever done. And he once held the AT anc PCT speed records, and has run across the US on pavement. It is a good documentary too.

Wow. Something like only 15 people have ever finished it. So, your friend is a stellar athlete along with a mental master. I’d like to ask your friends name, but don’t want you to share anything you’re uncomfortable with. I’m an avid fan of the PCT, having sectioned hiked 1500 miles of it so far. Covid has unfortunately put that on hold for me this year. I’m aware of many of the folks who have set speed records on it, including the current record holder. A woman name Anish, who also has a book about her experience called Thirst.

Anyway, yes the documentary was great. I love how the entry fee involves bringing an old license plate.

Interesting! I had never heard of that one.
I know a guy who did the Marathon des Sables which is sometimes called the hardest race on earth. He didn't finish, but he made it more than half the distance.

Personally, I think the toughest one has got to be the Badwater Ultramarathon which starts in Death Valley and finishes on Mount Whitney.

Those are all tough races. I still go with Barkley being the toughest since it's mostly scrambling in rough eastern Tennessee mountains avoiding nearly anything resembling a trail, except for a power line covered with briars. Throw in the 60 hours to finish it and it's almost unfathomable. You have almost no margin for error and it's very easy to get lost. No GPS allowed, just a hand drawn map you made in the few days before the race. The low finish rate is also very indicative, though many of the best ultra runners skip it as just being a foolish race. I had met the Belgian guy who set the AT speed record and he looked far better at ~800 miles in near my house than either of the elite ultrarunners who I have also seen on their now former speed records. And Karel did not finish Barkley last year.

I know less of Marathon des Sables, though my understanding is that it's a staged race so you have lots of recovering and pampering. 4 times a Barkley finisher will get back to camp, and if they have any time for sleep at all it is less than an hour.

Badwater is also very tough. But you have a crew vehicle accessible the whole way, and many have an ice chest to soak in when it gets bad. They also moved the start in Death Valley to sundown to avoid the early meltdown in the hottest part of the day in the hottest part of the US. I have a friend of mine who won that twice, and set the record until it was beat last year. There is a * for both of them because of the new start time but they both smashed old times. My friend also holds the fastest time on foot across the US (SF to NY), on roads.

Now of course I could hold the "lap around my house" race with a time limit of 5 seconds, and that would be the toughest race in the world if you are solely talking about finish rates, but that's silly. Barkley is possible. Just not easy. The only "easy" thing about it is that most people time out in the first loop or two, so they aren't put in the danger zone like someone slogging through Badwater, where you can see it's possible to finish, but it's just hot misery. I wouldn't run any of them because I hate heat. If I had to pick one, I'd have to do more research but I'd lean towards MdS.

David H. is my friend who finished Barkley. He's a legend, a character, and a good guy. Pete K is my friend who does Badwater. If you can't figure that out, PM me. No special reason not to name them, but I guess I maybe don't like worlds to collide.

Oh yeah, it's easy to get me talking about running, and especially different races. The tough part is to get me to shut up. And not that it was a requirement, but my GF loves to talk about these too. She says she would love a shot at Barkley, and she would likely finish more loops than me (probably 1-0 or 2-1). We are going to try to get her in the Barkley Fall Classic (basically one loop of the course) instead.

Oh yeah, it's easy to get me talking about running, and especially different races. The tough part is to get me to shut up.

Fascinating stuff; thanks for sharing.

Being just a casual "jogger", I don't have any personal experience with serious running, but I take a little pride in still being able to do half marathons in my 70s. Last two were in 2018, and depending on lockdowns I may have another one later this year. Purely for fun and I think it's good to push yourself at least a little for as long as you can.

Fascinating stuff; thanks for sharing.

Being just a casual "jogger", I don't have any personal experience with serious running, but I take a little pride in still being able to do half marathons in my 70s. Last two were in 2018, and depending on lockdowns I may have another one later this year. Purely for fun and I think it's good to push yourself at least a little for as long as you can.

I’ve always thought half’s were the best race distance. Far enough to let you know you just ran a good race, but not so far as to leave your body destroyed for a while. Hope I can still do them in my 70’s. Nice work!
Right now I can’t run 3 feet, until I figure out what’s happening to my knee. Never had so much pain. Giving it rest, which is why I stumbled on The Barkley Marathons documentary.

OP here: DW, who is not a runner, but also has an annoying tendency to always be right, pointed out to me that since I've been a runner (age 47) I've always used multiple pairs of the same model. Since I have 4E foot, and beyond-not-agile, once I find a good fitting shoe I just stay with it. So I'll go back and buy a few more 880's. 3 runs now done, and I love them.
Re: Half Marathons, before I had to cut back on my distances, I did a bunch of them, including every state east of the Mississippi. My favorite was probably Indianapolis. At the time, anyway, it was the largest Half in the country and sold out quickly. It included a lap around the Speedway, and a Neil Diamond impersonator serenading the entrance to that Speedway.
I still run 3-5 times a week, but like others I have to do a run-walk. Doing so means zero knee problem. Whenever I try to push it, I regret it later, so I've lived and learned.

Last edited:
Right now I can’t run 3 feet, until I figure out what’s happening to my knee.

Knees can be tough to figure out, and there can be many causes for the pain.

Many years ago I found myself running shorter and shorter distances as my knee pain began sooner every day. It felt like the knee was tearing itself apart from the inside out. Saw 4 or 5 doctors who did nothing more than tell me to stop running. Finally found a good podiatrist who knew what he was doing and he explained that my knee pain came from my feet. He made me a pair of custom orthotics and when I put them in my shoes and tried to run, the pain was instantly gone. It honestly seemed like magic.

Your situation might be different, but I became a firm believer in seeing a good podiatrist first before trying any other sort of medical help.

Back
Top Bottom