Question on Vanguard Consolidated 1099s

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those who own Vanguard international mutual funds...

In past years, Vanguard listed the "Foreign Income" for each fund in the "Foreign Tax Paid" page, but ...

For 2021, they've just listed the percentage of the dividend that was foreign income on the "Mutual Fund and UIT Supplemental Information" page.

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Doesn't the numbers get totaled on your tax return any way?

The foreign income portion of the total dividend is needed for form 1116. The 1099 shows the foreign tax paid.

Doesn't the numbers get totaled on your tax return any way?

FSI and FSQDI are needed to complete Form 1116. Also need to know if this number (plus foreign capital gains) is > $20,000 in order to make a (very adverse) adjustment to this income when allocating tax liability to soak up the foreign tax paid eligible for FTC.

Can you use the numbers on the "Detail for Dividends and Distributions" page(s), along with the percentage of the foreign source income on the "Mutual Fund and UIT Supplemental Information" page?

Can you use the numbers on the "Detail for Dividends and Distributions" page(s), along with the percentage of the foreign source income on the "Mutual Fund and UIT Supplemental Information" page?

That's what I did. It seems like Vanguard could be more helpful

That's what I did too. I'm not a fan of the way vanguard provided the information - made it more inconvenient.

FSI and FSQDI are needed to complete Form 1116. Also need to know if this number (plus foreign capital gains) is > $20,000 in order to make a (very adverse) adjustment to this income when allocating tax liability to soak up the foreign tax paid eligible for FTC.

TT never asks me for the FSQDI - just the FSI.

Back
Top Bottom