Questions for rich folks

There is a PITA factor in having multiple accounts. They each need to be tracked and monitored, records kept and fees paid. This doesn't sound like much and it may not be an issue for someone good at managing details, but it can be a problem if someone else needs to step and manage the finances in case of illness, accident or worse. We have simplified some since my ER and I continue to look for ways to reduce the number of accounts, and have also included instructions on how to do even more should I leave the scene unexpectedly.
I think for most retired people one investment account and one bank is enough. Working people need to deal with employer provisions that complicate that.

+1 Vanguard and local bank

Rich? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Maybe in another life. I have what is probably slightly below the average size nestegg for those here, although I am EXTREMELY rich in other ways, such as my happiness in being retired, my incredibly good fortune in meeting F., and my lovely daughter.

At any rate, my taxable accounts and Roth IRA are all at Vanguard, but I also have a reasonably substantial TSP account that I'm leaving right there, except for equal monthly withdrawals for living expenses now that I am retired. And then I do have a bank account.

Thank you all for your responses! And thank you, RunningBum for the link! I think I will keep on adding more money to Vanguard and spread the rest to multiple institutions.

Not rich, but I do keep my money split among three different financial institutions.
If you are using your financial institution mostly as a "custodian" of your investments ( eg, you own GE stock kept at Merrill Lynch), then that investment is ultimately yours even if the financial institution goes belly up... although you may get very stressed out until it all gets sorted out, which can take a while. If on the other hand you are investing in that financial institution's funds, then you could really end up with a catastrophic loss... why take the risk when you don't have to?

I maintain a spreadsheet updated monthly to keep track of all my "riches". It is spread across 4 firms. I am thinking of consolidating but never for convenience. And it will never be down to one.

Not rich, but very comfortable financially. :D
Hooray for the results of a lifetime habit of saving and investing. :dance:

All investment assets are with Vanguard, but not all are VG funds.
Fixed annuity is with MetLife, survivor pension is with US govt.
Personal savings and checking accounts are with local credit union.
EE and I bonds are with TreasuryDirect.

Simplicity is good for a person who hates paperw*rk with a passion. :)

Back
Top Bottom