Quicken Upgrade-I messed up my data file

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
I finally updated my Quicken yesterday. All went well when I checked it.
As part of the installation it asked me about mobile and web access, I don't want or need it so answered no. After upgrade was over, it asked me a bunch of questions to get set up and I'm not sure what I did but suddenly I was updating and downloading data for ALL my accounts. I only do the Quicken download for my checking account and Discover Card and Quicken was trying for all my accounts even though they are not set up for downloading and no passwords were entered. This went for about 20 minutes and I knew I was in trouble. When it finally finished and told me it could not update the account all the balances were as of 2017, any transactions after that were gone except for the the Discover and checking account that had updated properly. I have a feeling I had the same problem in 2017 when I last upgraded. I think it had something to do with the mobile and web access question.
So the question is the best way to fix it? I think I should install the backup file from two days ago and just start over. Once everything is good again make a new backup before I try downloading anything. If all looks good then delete the original corrupted file. I really don't want to call Quicken and be on hold for ever if I can possibly help it.

I think I should install the backup file from two days ago and just start over. Once everything is good again make a new backup before I try downloading anything. If all looks good then delete the original corrupted file. I really don't want to call Quicken and be on hold for ever if I can possibly help it.

When I opened this, I was expecting you to say that you didn’t have a backup. What a relief to read that you have one. Yes, I would just go back to the last backup and start over. Rinse and repeat until you get it right. Maybe you can or should, shut off the update function before you do the update. Not sure how to do it, but thinking that you want to prevent it from doing any of that process until you turn it back on, on the other side of the update.

While we're on this: does Quicken ever abandon data-file formats form previous versions?

I ask because I have Quicken 2017. It does everything I need and more, but as the years go by I wonder if I will eventually be unable to upgrade to some future version of Quicken that can't read my old data files.

Does Quicken have any history of doing this?

I updated my Quicken this weekend too. It was odd....once I was done I did my usual “One Step Update” Out of the blue I had a few old accounts (that had been deactivated) re-appear that it also tried to apply updates to. It also duplicated and messed up my checking account.

I had no idea why it would reactivate these old accounts and wasn’t sure what to do, everything looked messy. So I went back to my backup and started over again.

Everything worked fine second time around. No mysteriously reactivated accounts. Checking account was fine.
**shrug*

Hopefully you get the same results!

I don't know but in my data file, I have 20+ years of transactions and it can still pull up old info with no problems. I just upgraded from Q2017 because I will no longer be able to download my CC and checking account transactions as of the end of this month.

I updated my Quicken this weekend too. It was odd....once I was done I did my usual “One Step Update” Out of the blue I had a few old accounts (that had been deactivated) re-appear that it also tried to apply updates to. It also duplicated and messed up my checking account.

I had no idea why it would reactivate these old accounts and wasn’t sure what to do, everything looked messy. So I went back to my backup and started over again.

Everything worked fine second time around. No mysteriously reactivated accounts. Checking account was fine.
**shrug*

Hopefully you get the same results!
I hope so to, this sounds exactly like what happened to me.

If you still have the old version, do a "Validate & Repair" on your data file before upgrading. This is probably obvious to you, but make a copy of your backup files before allowing Quicken to work on them again.

You'd think that the new version would do a validate & repair before converting the data format, but who know if it does.

While we're on this: does Quicken ever abandon data-file formats form previous versions?

I ask because I have Quicken 2017. It does everything I need and more, but as the years go by I wonder if I will eventually be unable to upgrade to some future version of Quicken that can't read my old data files.

Yes, they do change file formats, but infrequently. But they do a good job of helping people with really old versions still be able to use their data.

The current situation:
People using Quicken 1998 and older - nothing can be done to convert the data.
Quicken 98 up to 2003 - they allow you to download Quicken 2004* which will convert to the 2004 file format (although Q2004 won't run on Windows 10). Then they allow you to download Quicken 2013* which will convert to the current format.
Quicken 2004 up to 2009 - They allow you to download Quicken 2013* which will convert to the current format.
Quicken 2010 and up - no conversion needed.

Bottom line is as of today, people with a 16 year old version of Quicken and running Windows 10 could still use their data.

* When I say they allow you to download older Quicken versions, I'm not assuming they are fully functional - it might include just enough of the program allow you to upgrade your data file.

[I started using Quicken in the Quicken 96 version.]

during previous updates when it was an Intuit product i've seen Q state that my data file was being "converted". since then i've always made a backup after every session.

Back
Top Bottom