Quicken Upgrade Question

Wow, people keeping data going back almost 30 years!

Well, back then, the financial institutions didn't have to keep track of your cost base (and thus, none of them did), so if you reinvested dividends, unless you were hanging on to the paper statements, you HAD to keep the files around until selling the entire holding. In my case, this is the main reason I ever started with Quicken (in 1992) and I do still go back when calculating taxes on partial sales.

Started on Halloween 1991 in my early 20s.

I don't mine paying them yearly, Quicken is one of the reasons i got here.

Same file from 1993.
I back up a file to local and external drives almost every month or after a lot of work (moving brokers).
Runs great.

Our first transaction is November 8, 1992. We've never started a new file and I was just considering doing it. We have so many hidden accounts and categories, it will be nice to start with a clean slate. We'll keep the other file for records and posterity!

How did you all learn Quicken. I just started with it a year ago and have no idea what I am doing. Using it as a backup for now.

Depends what you want to use it for? As a bank register is an easy way to start. Create accounts for your bank accounts and credit cards.

How did you all learn Quicken. I just started with it a year ago and have no idea what I am doing. Using it as a backup for now.
I use it as a bank register and to track all my CD renewal dates but it does so much more. There are tons of reports and I can track my purchases all the way back to when the file was created. There are a ton of videos out there and the Quicken community is very helpful if you have any problems or questions. Here is a helpful place to start.
https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-video-university#windows

Like most programs... just play around, look at every menu option, see if I want to use it, search hard questions when they arise.

I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge available to help or this site.

Debating the switch to MoneyDance or not. Need to do something, my 2007 version is 32 bit and will die when I update the OS.

My file is only 23 M, considering it has everything back to 1972 and passbook savings accounts... I scanned and entered all my physical records in the mid 90's with my first computer, quicken first purchased software. Missing the gasoline credit cards, my first AMEX, and 3 brief bank accounts before graduation. I wanted to document and shred my records that soggy winter. Paperport roll fed scanner and quicken did the trick to empty me of paper. I've had about 5 versions over the years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom