Quicken Upgrade Question

Regarding Quicken for Mac, I don't think it's available without the subscription. Compared to Windows it's still missing some features. Here's a recent article comparing the two. https://investorjunkie.com/reviews/quicken-mac/

The article lists the following features missing in the OS-X version:

Debt Reduction Planner
Loan Amortization
Customizable Portfolio View
Investment Reports, IRR, ROI
Investment Allocation View
Profit & Loss / Balance Sheet Report
Automatically Link Online Bills to Display Due Date and Amount Due
Free Credit Report
Portfolio X-Ray
Multiple Currency Support
Automatic Backup (though you should be using Time Machine for backups anyway)
Automatic Reconciliation
No Paystub tracking

I'm a bit puzzled by this list as I track DW's retirement check and SS checks just fine with the Mac version. It also automatically makes a backup each time the app is closed (I use Time Machine as well), and it automatically links online bills to track future payments and due dates. It is indeed missing some of the more advanced investment tracking features, as well as things l remember from Windows like the Retirement Planner.

Overall, I don't miss any of these features, and I like having a native Mac app.

I see you can still buy the 2019 version on eBay for $12.95. Is there any difference between 2019 and 2020? Is this a legitimate copy of the software?

I see you can still buy the 2019 version on eBay for $12.95. Is there any difference between 2019 and 2020? Is this a legitimate copy of the software?

I'd hold off buying until the poster above who ordered it similarly posts his results. Quicken has been a SUBSCRIPTION product now for a couple years. You install it and sign up for 1 year or 2 year subscriptions to get its full functionality. Some vendors have special subscription plans for it. I bought 14 months of subscription from Amazon, for example. So I'm not sure what you will actually get if you buy software from eBay for $12.95. If that truly gives you one full year of subscription, then it's a good deal compared to current prices elsewhere. But if it doesn't give you the codes that are required to be entered in order to activate a subscription, I'm not sure what good it will be. Effectively, there is no longer a new "version" of the software each year. They update it almost monthly with new features/fixes and just keep rolling them out to you if you keep paying your subscription.

I'm (OP) not planning on updating till March now since my current version is good till April according to ShokwaveRider. AmigaDude reported that he also purchased the 14 month subscription from EBAY and had no problems

thanks - this looks like a great deal. Presumably there is no difference between purchasing the 2019 version and the 2020 since you get enrolled into the subscription programs and the latest updates (2020) get applied to it upon activation?

thanks - this looks like a great deal. Presumably there is no difference between purchasing the 2019 version and the 2020 since you get enrolled into the subscription programs and the latest updates (2020) get applied to it upon activation?

Correct. For example, I purchased the 2019 cd via eBay and the seller clearly identified that it was:
  1. 14 Month subscription
  2. Activation codes are good till 12-31-2020
In truth all I needed was the Activation code, since I downloaded the s/w from Quicken.com directly, instead of loading the CD.

Anyway, if you could see About screen, you would see that Quicken now shows the Year (2020), and valid until April 2021.

Yes, I received an actual CD with intact case, insert, etc.. and registered just fine.

Last edited:
I've used Quicken since the early 90s (maybe even the late 80s, I've lost track). Through the years, I've had a few files that just go so messed up with bad data that I started new files. Quicken wasn't (isn't?) always so good at working when the data gets corrupted by whatever means corrupts it. My general rule is to keep using the same file as long as I want. Every couple years, I will save off a copy as an archive and/or save and rename the file to match my current year. If you move to a completely new file, you lose a lot of the history. But sometimes, I just really wanted to start a new file. My current file has about 5 years of data in it.

+1 I had some file corruption issues in early 2017 and created a new file. IIRC I imported about a year of history and every investment purchase lot and things have worked fine since. I find that I rarely need to refer to the older file.

Correct. For example, I purchased the 2019 cd via eBay and the seller clearly identified that it was:
  1. 14 Month subscription
  2. Activation codes are good till 12-31-2020
In truth all I needed was the Activation code, since I downloaded the s/w from Quicken.com directly, instead of loading the CD.

Anyway, if you could see About screen, you would see that Quicken now shows the Year (2020), and valid until April 2021.

Thanks ! I am going to give this a try.

I'm not sure why, but I've been tracking all accounts and credit cards starting in 1992 (starting with the original MS Money--I really miss that program), and my file is only 32 Mb. I manually input every transaction since Quicken 2011 'expired' the online access.

Maybe if you have a large file size and its bogging down the system, try validation and repair tool inside Quicken.

I'm never going to upgrade as long as Quicken 2011 keeps working on my operating system.

EDIT: I also keep a slew of backup files that I can restore back to in case something gets corrupted. So far so good.

Last edited:
Regarding Quicken for Mac, I don't think it's available without the subscription. Compared to Windows it's still missing some features. Here's a recent article comparing the two. https://investorjunkie.com/reviews/quicken-mac/

The article lists the following features missing in the OS-X version:

I'm a bit puzzled by this list as I track DW's retirement check and SS checks just fine with the Mac version. It also automatically makes a backup each time the app is closed (I use Time Machine as well), and it automatically links online bills to track future payments and due dates. It is indeed missing some of the more advanced investment tracking features, as well as things l remember from Windows like the Retirement Planner.

Overall, I don't miss any of these features, and I like having a native Mac app.

I'm guessing I would have to find a boxed version for sale on ebay from the latest version sold before it became subscription. What version was that?

I would not miss any of the things listed as missing. We mostly enter transactions and run reports. Not using downloaded info.

Agree with backing up to time machine.

Let my Quicken Mac expire...too gimped compared to earlier versions & the Windows version (would probably keep the latter if I used a Windows PC)

We just started a new file. The old one need a bunch of work to reflect our current situation that we just felt it was a good time to start fresh. We also wanted to start using Quicken for budgeting instead of a spreadsheet. DW was having to do too much work to enter the monthly data from Quicken into the spreadsheet. Now, using Quicken, there is no more of the effort to transfer. We just started on 1/1/2020 so we'll see how it goes, but no doubt that our chart of accounts is a lot more streamlined than it was before.

Let my Quicken Mac expire...too gimped compared to earlier versions & the Windows version (would probably keep the latter if I used a Windows PC)

Was this a subscription version of Quicken Mac?

Appears that Quicken 2015 for Mac was the last standalone (non-subscription) version.

Is anyone here still using that one?

I'm guessing it won't download transactions anymore but you could still use most other features...?

Appears that Quicken 2015 for Mac was the last standalone (non-subscription) version.

Is anyone here still using that one?

I'm guessing it won't download transactions anymore but you could still use most other features...?

Any version of Quicken will continue to work after the subscription ends. You just won’t be able to download new transactions, but you could always enter them manually.

Any version of Quicken will continue to work after the subscription ends. You just won’t be able to download new transactions, but you could always enter them manually.

I did not know that.....

Thx!

Isn't the difference between the old versions of Quicken and the current subscription versions that you now pay per year starting from the date of purchase, instead of every three years starting from the date the version was released? With the current subscription model you get major program updates as they are released, instead of waiting for the next version to come out. Oh, and it's pricier, too.

Doing a bit of research on "The Google" it appears you can still buy Quicken disks and use them without a subscription (except maybe the most basic versions), but you won't be able to download transactions nor receive program updates. Please correct me if I messed that up.

To Ready

But if you're saying the latest subscription version of Quicken for Mac is sub-par (gimped) - then I might as well stay with the Windows version running on a Mac with Crossover from Codeweavers. Fortunately they had phone support and chat support setting it up and it's been fine ever since. Here's their overview.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac

To GalaxyBoy

I believe you are right.

We're satisfied not having a subscription and doing without downloading because we don't want to pay more.

Have probably purchased three versions of Quicken since 1995.

We are using Quicken 2006 and our rental file starts 12/31/1995. We download nothing, opting to go to each bank account and enter and reconcile every transaction. Our categories and classes are very granular, which makes tax time a PITA as the categories get blended together into the IRS form expense groups. Just counted, and we have 81 active accounts shown on the left hand column of the Quicken page. Multiples of that hidden. Probably pretty clunky, but does answer the question "what do you do all day"?

Started using Quicken in 1996. My data file is 70MB. We use for Investments only, and not for everyday expenses.

Purchased 2019 version from Walmart last year for
$22

But if you're saying the latest subscription version of Quicken for Mac is sub-par (gimped) - then I might as well stay with the Windows version running on a Mac with Crossover from Codeweavers. Fortunately they had phone support and chat support setting it up and it's been fine ever since. Here's their overview.

That was me complaining about Quicken for Mac.

I've got Crossover on my Mac...does it support the latest version of Quicken for Windows?

That was me complaining about Quicken for Mac.

I've got Crossover on my Mac...does it support the latest version of Quicken for Windows?

I'm running Windows Quicken 2014 on a Mac Mini with Crossover that we bought in April of 2014.

The Codeweavers people should be glad to answer your question though. They were very helpful to me.

And I got the BIGGEST applause for getting DH's fav - 1990s Taipei - going with it.

Back
Top Bottom