R.I.P. - - Ryan O'Neal

I didn’t realize that he was that old. I really liked him too.

I didn’t realize that he was that old. I really liked him too.

Yes, he was 82 and Ali McGraw (who is still alive) is 84 right now. I guess we're the ones growing old. :(

I cried buckets and buckets of tears over the years, watching Love Story. Such a heartbreaker and so perfectly done by all, IMO anyway.

Love means never having to say you’re sorry. A nice thought, but one of the most bogus bits of romance wisdom ever.

RIP

His daughter, Tatum O'Neal, was the youngest person, at age 10, to win an acting Oscar, for their 1973 movie Paper Moon. Her mother was actress Joanna Moore, often remembered as Sheriff Taylor's girlfriend Miss Peggy in four episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.

I didn't know that he was still alive. He was an unbelievably good-looking guy when he was young.

I didn't know that he was still alive. He was an unbelievably good-looking guy when he was young.

He was on an episode of Leave It To Beaver.

RIP Ryan.
I just read his life history and he had a rough family life. That would be putting mildly. Lots of children issues and partner issues to deal with and plenty of sadness. I wouldn't have traded is fame and fortune life and life of luxury for my simple lifestyle and unknown identity.

I loved his portrayal of Constance (Bones) Brennan's father on the TV show BONES. For most of the episodes, he was a fugitive from the FBI and she tried to turn him in - even though she wanted to be reunited. What a great concept that they were able to milk for many years. SPOILER ALERT: His character was guilty, but eventually managed to be beat the rap. Turns out the guy he killed was much worse than he was.

The only time I enjoyed "BONES" was when he was featured.

Also, as Farrah Fawcett was dying of cancer, her ex-husband (Ryan O'Neal) was by her side until the end. I thought that was very special.

My favorite movie with Ryan O'Neal was "The Thief Who Came To Dinner." A close second was "What's Up Doc?"

RIP

I loved his portrayal of Constance (Bones) Brennan's father on the TV show BONES. For most of the episodes, he was a fugitive from the FBI and she tried to turn him in - even though she wanted to be reunited. What a great concept that they were able to milk for many years. SPOILER ALERT: His character was guilty, but eventually managed to be beat the rap. Turns out the guy he killed was much worse than he was.

The only time I enjoyed "BONES" was when he was featured.

Also, as Farrah Fawcett was dying of cancer, her ex-husband (Ryan O'Neal) was by her side until the end. I thought that was very special.

My favorite movie with Ryan O'Neal was "The Thief Who Came To Dinner." A close second was "What's Up Doc?"

RIP

Not here to kick someone after they passed away, but my understanding is when Farrah was dying, Ryan O'Neal wanted to marry her for inheritance reasons. They never married.

RIP Ryan.
I just read his life history and he had a rough family life. That would be putting mildly. Lots of children issues and partner issues to deal with and plenty of sadness. I wouldn't have traded is fame and fortune life and life of luxury for my simple lifestyle and unknown identity.

Yes. You and me too.

I was too young to watch but remember my mother watching Peyton Place and Ryan O'Neal being named in the opening credits in 1964 or so. He was certainly a young man then.

He dealt with much hardship along with his fame but was certainly memorable.

May he rest in peace.

I mainly remember Ryan O'Neal from "Paper Moon". And for some reason, I always get the name mixed up with Patrick O'Neal.

I used to think the two were related, like father and son. But I just looked up their years of birth...Patrick was 1927 and Ryan was 1941. I'm trying to think of what Patrick was most famous for, though. I mostly remember him from a Twilight Zone episode, "A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain," which is one of those episodes that, for some reason, seems to get skipped over in reruns these days. I also caught him the other day on an old "Barnaby Jones" episode.

I was too young to watch but remember my mother watching Peyton Place and Ryan O'Neal being named in the opening credits in 1964 or so. He was certainly a young man then.

He dealt with much hardship along with his fame but was certainly memorable.

May he rest in peace.
My mom watched it too. So did I and I was in my very early teens then. Actually I had forgotten he was in the series but I certainly remember Mia Farrow and Barbara Parkins. :)

Last edited:
I mainly remember Ryan O'Neal from "Paper Moon". And for some reason, I always get the name mixed up with Patrick O'Neal.

I used to think the two were related, like father and son. But I just looked up their years of birth...Patrick was 1927 and Ryan was 1941. I'm trying to think of what Patrick was most famous for, though. I mostly remember him from a Twilight Zone episode, "A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain," which is one of those episodes that, for some reason, seems to get skipped over in reruns these days. I also caught him the other day on an old "Barnaby Jones" episode.

I was nudged to look this up. From the Internet Movie Database, To wit:

Until episodes became available on VHS and DVD, this was one of four "lost" episodes of The Twilight Zone (1959) that were not included with syndication packages during the 1960s through the 1980s. The other three were Miniature (1963), Sounds and Silences (1964), and The Encounter (1964). This episode, "Miniature," and "Sounds and Silences" were excluded from the package because of lawsuits that had been filed claiming those episodes were plagiarized. The Encounter" had drawn complaints of anti-Japanese prejudice and epithets expressed by one of the characters. The episodes were finally re-released for broadcast television in a 1983 special hosted by Patrick O'Neal, the lead actor of "Fountain".

That said, I still never see any of these episodes shown on regular TV re-runs. I have seen them but only as a "Special" kind of Twilight Zone anniversary weekend or something.

Interesting. I knew about "The Encounter" being kept out because of its unintentionally racist connotations. And "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" was kept out, because it was actually a short French film, with some scenes cut out, and other things altered, and an opening and closing narration by Rod Serling slapped on. I think they only had the rights to show that one during its original broadcast, and then once or twice in reruns.

I know I've seen them both, somewhat recently. I think the Sci Fi channel shows them when they do their Independence Day and New Years marathons.

"Miniature" is one of the hour long episodes, so they never show that one, anyway. I'm pretty sure I've seen "Sounds and Silences" somewhat recently, although it's not one of my favorite ones, so I usually skip over it. But I can't remember the last time I saw "Fountain." Kind of a shame, as I thought it was a really good episode.

Back on Ryan O'Neal. I was just thinking...it's kinda wild that "Paper Moon" took place roughly 40 years (the Great Depression) before it was made (1973). Yet now, FIFTY years have passed, since that movie was made!

My mom watched it too. So did I and I was in my very early teens then. Actually I had forgotten he was in the series but I certainly remember Mia Farrow and Barbara Parkins. :)

Only thing I recall about Peyton Place was someone calling Mia Farrow's character "Allison Wonderland." I thought that was pretty clever when I was a teen.

RIP Ryan.

His daughter Tatum O'Neal wrote a memoir, "A Paper Life", about her childhood and her family. And then a follow-up "Found, A Daughter's Journey Home".

I remember reading "A Paper Life" and being shocked over how supposedly successful adults (her parents) could mess up their children so completely. Drugs, alcohol, abandonment, complete lack of responsibility and the chaos dumped on Tatum and her brother is overwhelming.

Tatum has been through the wringer multiple times and is currently recovering from a stroke from a drug overdose.

And if you think her story is sad/tragic/ugly .... read about her half brother, Redmond O'Neal, the son of Ryan O'Neal and Farrah Fawcett.

Last edited:
OK ieentand watched the first two episodes of Peyton Place. I missed all of it growing up.

I've never seen the Peyton Place tv series, but did see the movie, years ago. Just looked it up on Wikipedia though...five seasons, but WOW...514 episodes!!

I guess it was produced more along the lines of those daytime soap operas, where they slapped them together real quick, rather than the more typical, later, prime time ones like "Dallas", "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest"?

82 years old. Didn't realize he had Leukemia. Enjoyed his movies - Love Story and the ones with Barbara Striesand

Back
Top Bottom