Rating Health Care

uncleharley

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am getting ready to retire and have chosen a few area's I might move to that would hopefully enhance my lifestyle during retirement. One item I am having a problem with is trying to gauge the quality of health care in a strange locality. Does anyone know of a website or method or agency that rates the quality of health care by geographical area or any other method?

Thanks
uh

Are you making reference to cities in the United States or areas throughout the world?

Best care in the world, if money not an object, or if you have good insurance or medicare is probably USA. That's why rich Saudis come here.

Also Medicare only works in the USA.

Best heart surgery is the Cleveland Clinic. Cancer care and research is renowned at M.D. Anderson in Houston.

All the large cities with great medical schools are pretty good if you have big problems. It helps to have insurance that you can use anywhere in the country, so if you are really sick you can go to wherever the cutting edge for that particular area of research and care is.

That is why I will go for "old Medicare" when I get there, even though it might cost a bit more.

Ha

uncleharley said:
One item I am having a problem with is trying to gauge the quality of health care in a strange locality.  Does anyone know of a website or method or agency that rates the quality of health care by geographical area or any other method?
America, right? Unless you're expecting continuing struggles with chronic conditions, I'm not sure it's much of an issue.

It seems that routine care is available just about anywhere, even if it involves an hour's drive to the dialysis center. If you need cataract surgery or cancer therapy, I doubt you're going to try it at the local community hospital no matter how good their reputation is. You're probably going to go to a facility in a major city, perhaps even Johns Hopkins or Mayo.

Am I missing the point of the question?

I don't think you can beat London ON.

World class in every respect.

Spanky said:
This article debunks the truth of health care in America.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-healthcare.htm

Much of this is undoubtedly true, but skew to the question asked by the OP- where to get good health care. Presumably he is talking about the sort of acute care that one needs if he or she has a severe illness, not what % of the population gets their Pap smears or other preventive actions.

Ha

Consumer reports does a regular thing on health care around the US, mostly by survey. Based on personal experience in my area, their results have been accurate. Two PPO's i've used in the last ten years both sucked and they were low rated. An HMO I used for 4 years was highly rated and I had very positive experiences with them.

Back
Top Bottom