Reactions to ER

Everyone said/says "Wonderful! How I envy you!" and/or, "So, which contractor are you going with?"

They just can't believe I'd leave that "easy" contractor money on the table. And it certainly wasn't a lightly-made decision. But time > $$.

Edit: The people I like most are the ones who say, "But you're too YOUNG to retire!" They know I'm retirement age. They are just being sweet.

Amethyst

When I gave my notice that I was retiring the chairman of the board said, "How can you retire; aren't you too young for social security?" I guess he didn't think I had investments, like he did. To forestall the jealousy i tell most people, that my wife and I are going to give it (ER) a try but we will definitely be "scraping by". That seems to satisfy them. If they only knew!

-BB

I'm surprised by the number of people who have said "what will you do all day?" As if that changes if you retire older vs younger? I could well argue that the longer you stay the harder it is to find something to do all day; 1 because you are older and may be able to do less; 2 because all you know is work.

While I haven't retired yet the plan is in place and I've told several friends but no one at work yet. Here I expect 3 reactions, people that are happy (or jealous) that you can make the plunge, people that have no clue how you can retire sooner (these ones are the ones that don't know anything about LBYM) and some of the engineers who work for me who will be happy but upset since I have been the buffer between them and upper management and that will be gone

Back
Top Bottom