Ready to Jump!

Tdoug58

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi! Pretty new to this forum and finding a ton of great info, looking for more guidance. DW and I in very similar circumstance; 56 YO teachers with 34 years in. I am planning to retire this June, DW teaching at least another year possibly longer. I've run numbers thru multiple calcs and esp. FIREcalc and I almost can't believe the results, 100% positive! That is with both $80 or $100k in expenses. I consider myself average or less when it comes to financial knowledge so I'm considering seeing a FA but wanted to get more info here first. 2 kids already thru college, 3rd going in fall (mostly covered by 529 and scholarships) Mortgage PYMT - $1400 (8 more yrs)
Current annual household income - $142K
Details:2 pensions totaling - $72800
$150K in TSA, other accounts
SS@66.8 (10 years out) = $52300

We will both receive $192K from DROP when we retire which I will roll over to a IRA of some sort and that is where I need some guidance. I am OK with moderate risk and would consider our pensions as the "safe/bond" position in our mix. Any ideas, questions or comments are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:
Tdoug58, both with 80-100K in expenses? You mean total expenses for you and the DW @ 100K right? Sounds like you have the $ worked out. How about the what are you going to do all day part? That seems to be a big issue for many ER's.

Good luck.

Bigdawg

Sounds good. I retired 5 years ago. DH just retired Tuesday. Had to stay home this weekend because we have been too busy this past week. Good luck and welcome!

Big Dawg, thanks for the reply, yes $112k would actually be 80% of our current salary and still comes out 100% in FIREcalc, unless I'm figuring something wrong. As far as what to do with my time, that's not a problem. As a teacher I've looked at my weeks off during summer as a test drive and I never have enough time. And hope to get caught up with the myriad numbers of home and self improvements that have been on back burner!

Is pension cola'd ?
What's your home equity today ?

You might want to discount SS. Eg. Better to count on about 75% of what ever the SS calculators say... Builds in a margin of safety buffer

Great job. Enviable position and thanks for 32 years of educating our future !

Yes, pension is COLA'ed and about 100K home equity.

I don't agree with discounted SS, i see no reason for that. And 35 years teaching! :) Thanks!

...I consider myself average or less when it comes to financial knowledge so I'm considering seeing a FA but wanted to get more info here first. ... We will both receive $192K from DROP when we retire which I will roll over to a IRA of some sort and that is where I need some guidance....Any ideas, questions or comments are welcome! Thanks!
Hi Doug,
If you want to save yourself $5000 or more per year in FA fees, then just replicate a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund for your IRAs. These are "funds of funds", ie an LS funds holds 4-5 other Vanguard funds. There are several LS funds: pick one that fits your risk level then check the "Holdings & Management" tab to see the specific funds. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/lifestrategy/#/mini/overview/0914
People with "average" financial knowledge can do this!

If you do decide to get a financial adviser, then pick a fee-only one (not paid by commission on what they sell you).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Racy,

Good info and that's hat I think and what I was looking for.

$400K to invest

As I mentioned in my earlier post DW and I will receive about $400k in the next 1.5 year and I'd love input/ideas to rollover/invest. We both will receive pensions with COLA (see above). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom