Real estate agents in this market...

retire202052

Recycles dryer sheets
A friend and I were talking today about the economy, interest rates, etc. We questioned how in the world real estate agents and people in the real estate industry are making a living. People are not buying houses at these rates and these rates might be around for awhile.

Any real estate agents here or have friends or relatives in the industry have any insight?

Live off the savings you made over the last few fat years?

R.E. has always been boom-bust. This bust will clear out a few agents.

I haven't asked my R.E. neighbor exactly, I just know he is home a lot more than last year.

The last agent I hired had 47 million in transactions the prior year.

I'm sure she's fine.

The last agent I hired had 47 million in transactions the prior year.

I'm sure she's fine.

As my boss used to say, "What have you done for me lately?"

Yes, if she saved a large part of those fat commission checks, she likely is very fine.

A big part of my being able to FIRE in 2009 was that I saved a large portion of every commission check I earned while working those 9+ years in a job that had a commission component.

I think 1.5%.

Okay. So it sounds like an even split between sellers/buyers/agent/broker.

I've been talking to several builders lately about the spec homes they currently have available and have asked what consideration they would offer because I'm not bringing a buyers' agent to the table.

Some have said it doesn't matter, some have said they'd take 2.5% off the asking price, some have said it's the same price but they would add 2.5% if a buyer's agent was involved.

I'm also seeing varying degrees of market acceptance right now. Probably half of the agents/builders that I'm talking to agree that prices will be forced to come down over the next six months while the other half is in a state of denial and insist that they will continue to go up.

I think about all those real estate agents that researched the multiple listings for past sales, and spent time coming up with ways to merchandise their clients' homes. Then they'd have to work with the owners in getting the homes decluttered and even getting subcontractors in to paint and recondition the property. Often, they'd have to work closely with mortgage originators to get their mortgages approved and fully documented. They sure earned their sales commissions.

Spring forward to 2021, and they're advertising their listings online and taking the highest bid in 48 hours. And they've never sold more homes on such short notice.

And I wonder how many of them actually earned their commissions? Maybe they'll have to go back to the old way of doing business in the future.

I'm just glad we bought 3 years ago--before the house went up 55% in price. I just feel for the 20 somethings that may be unable to afford a house--or even a nice apartment to live in.

Live off the savings you made over the last few fat years?

R.E. has always been boom-bust. This bust will clear out a few agents.

I haven't asked my R.E. neighbor exactly, I just know he is home a lot more than last year.

We sold a 2nd house last year and the agents weren’t doing well at all. There were hardly any listings. Things got better this year, but by the time inventory started to come back, interest rates started shooting up and buyers started pulling back. And then sellers pulled listings because they had a 3% mortgage that weren’t going to trade for a 7% mortgage. I don’t think agents have done as well as people think.

I agree that they didn’t have to work as hard last year. My son bought a house and the agent didn’t do a thing. He paid over asking price and would not have used an agent if the seller would have reduced the price by the buyer’s agent fee, but it was a bidding war. No room for negotiation.

Depending on the area, demand is still strong in many places but dominated by all cash buyers. The bidding wars are gone. We have had numerous unsolicited offers to buy our condo in South East Florida where inventories are still low and demand is high for condos built after 2005. Most of the inventory in our area are older condos from the late 60's to late 70's that many people are completely avoiding. We bought our condo directly from the bank after the developer defaulted. So we avoided using an agent. It was an all cash transaction so closing costs were next to nothing. Goldman Sachs is in the process of establishing their head office just a short walk from our building. Many Goldman Sachs employees have already purchased units in our building. I really don't see the point of using an agent given that comps of similar properties are readily available online and with so many unsolicited offers coming in, we would prefer to sell direct.

My realtor friends are still quite busy. We are in rural suburban area, and there are still enough folks wanting to move away from the heavy urban/inner suburban areas in and around Baltimore and D.C. to keep them busy. No bidding wars, but still steady activity.

Neighbor lady is a realtor (2nd) . And a teacher (1st). She'll be fine. This is Illinois with a big teacher's union.

Given that we live in Illinois, sales really weren't brisk in the recent boom anyway.

I would go out the limb and say there will be homes bought without a loan. I would see RE go down in price fairly fast with high interest rates. Which would be a great opportunity to buy and pay cash. It would also be a very good negotiating tool to have cash in this down downturn in ER. IMO

The market has definitely slowed down, here in Mpls, and a lot of the agents that started two or three years ago are finding it's a whole new ball game. The industry goes through these cycles and the newer agents leave and the older agents chug along.
The young agents that have car payments, mortgages and young kids to feed are the ones scrambling and looking for new career opportunities.
I have enjoyed selling RE has a retirement "Job" and I never needed the money to live on so downturns don't bother me. (Who knows but I may actually retire if the market stays in the doldrums).:D

I've been watching mostly condos/townhouses in our area and recently prices are starting to decline some. Also rental prices are coming down a $100/month on some units that aren't being rented.
We're still hoping to sell our house in our retirement community and rent for a year or 2. The last few years every house that has been listed has sold within a month or so. Now there are only 2 houses listed. Both have had pending and now back on the market. Haven't figured out the reason. But we'll try for 6 months anyway. In our situation if we can't sell for our price we won't. Don't need to sell just want to do something different.

I've been watching mostly condos/townhouses in our area and recently prices are starting to decline some. Also rental prices are coming down a $100/month on some units that aren't being rented.
We're still hoping to sell our house in our retirement community and rent for a year or 2. The last few years every house that has been listed has sold within a month or so. Now there are only 2 houses listed. Both have had pending and now back on the market. Haven't figured out the reason. But we'll try for 6 months anyway. In our situation if we can't sell for our price we won't. Don't need to sell just want to do something different.

Homes in retirement communities are often shielded from rate increases because most are bought with cash as retirees downsize. At least that was our experience with a Sun City home that we sold last year. We enjoyed the price appreciation due to low inventory but almost every offer was cash. It will be interesting to see if the prices hold up, though. After more than a decade of very affordable price points, those Sun City properties increased by 30% in a single year.

80/20 rule.

Twenty percent of the agents make 80 percent of the commission. The pros, the industry veterans know all about the ups and downs of the business.

The posers will get culled....just like any other commission based sale environment.

Just look at how many travel agents and brick and mortar travel agencies left the business over the past ten year, and over the past two or three years.

One of our local car dealerships says that 53 percent of their new car sales is now internet based. They expect it to increase.

Last edited:
80/20 rule.

Twenty percent of the agents make 80 percent of the commission. The pros, the industry veterans know all about the ups and downs of the business.

The posers will get culled....just like any other commission based sale environment.

This. It culls the herd. DW has been in RE since 2005 and has seen a few busts and booms. She is currently in the institutional investor side of the house and it's still pretty busy. She has been getting a lot of calls from newer agents looking to "help out" in the rental world. 6 months ago, they wouldn't touch 'em with a 10 foot pole. Like so many other things in the world...it's either feast or famine.

DW was in real estate for decades and it istrue that the best realtors will always do well. The one who we used for our last buy/sell is still too busy to even take a breath.

In our resort town, the top 5 or so agents get the majority of the listings. RE has always been a story of superstars and pretenders.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if they make that much in a boom anyway. You need them more in a bust.

When houses are selling super easily, many more folks try By Owner, or haggle the rates down. Realtors have to compete, hard, for listings. While the prices of homes skyrocketed last year, inventory dropped. Super hard to get each listing.

Now that things are slower, perhaps smart sellers realize they need an agent more. Gonna take many more showings, much more negotiating, complications - good agents are very helpful for hard sales.

Although I spent 50 years in real estate, finance, and appraisal, I retired 4 years ago. When I needed to sell my mother’s home in southern California I hired a great real estate team to do it. They helped get rid of all of mom’s stuff, had the home deep cleaned, acted a a general contractor for all of the repairs and got me great deals, professionally staged the home with their furniture, took truly awesome professional photos, held it open the first weekend, and marketed the home worldwide. 6 days after it went on the market it was sold with multiple offers, for top dollar, in what the naysayers claim is a “crashing” market. The entire process took less than sixty days and I didn’t have to leave Montana once. They handled it all. The total commission (5% of $780,000) was more than earned and I took more to the bank for mom that I could have by trying to do it myself, even with 5 decades of experience. Commissions are normally split between listing agent and selling agent and their respective offices and franchisors. The franchises take a cut off the top before the commissions are split between the office and the agents. In “by owner” sales, the commission that would normally be paid to pros is normally just subtracted by the buyer when they know there isn’t one. And you get to do everything yourself.

I vetted the team I hired well by analyzing all of their sales from the first of the year. It totaled over 60 million in sales. So I’d say they are doing fine even though it is split more ways than most can probably imagine. Although Chicken Little told me the market was “crashing”, the Realtors didn’t think so, and that sure wasn’t my experience. Maybe the market being down meant I got three offers in the first week instead of 30. Really, if you’ve ever sold a home before, who wants to have to deal with 30 offers?

I've always wondered if they make that much in a boom anyway. You need them more in a bust.

My neighbor has done better last year than any other year. Thankfully, he and his wife have saved some, and used others to improve their own home. Always nice when a neighbor cares for their house. He's got a good head on his shoulders as things slow down.

A friend who's DW is in R.E. is buying toys. They'll be OK though as they are near ER anyway and this was their mad money year plan.

If/as the real estate market continues to decline, I am feeling unreasonably lucky that I don't have to move (or want to move) right now. And sad for those who do, and have been backed into a corner by their local real estate situation. :'(

Although Chicken Little told me the market was “crashing”, the Realtors didn’t think so, and that sure wasn’t my experience. Maybe the market being down meant I got three offers in the first week instead of 30. Really, if you’ve ever sold a home before, who wants to have to deal with 30 offers?
I hope you are right, and this is not really a big crash after all! That would be super. :D

The one group that really isn’t doing well, at least in our area, is mortgage brokers. I have two friends in the business and they’ve said that their business has evaporated. In our resort town cash is king now and the finances buyers are missing.

In “by owner” sales, the commission that would normally be paid to pros is normally just subtracted by the buyer when they know there isn’t one. And you get to do everything yourself.

In some cases yes, with a true FSBO without MLS this is true. When you list with a fee only MLS service you have access to the same pool of buyers and they won’t notice until you are in the contract stages.
With everything listed automatically your realtor won’t have the time nor take the time to steer away from a FSBO on the MLS. They look to close the transaction, and as long as you are paying a buyers realtor fee they could care less.
Being on the MLS is key IMO.

If you expect to list remotely and get staging etc, you are much better off with a full device organization.

Back
Top Bottom