Recall Notification from Grocery Store

Hermit

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just got a phone call from Kroger telling me that some hummus I bought probably a couple of months ago has been recalled! Well the hummus is long gone and I am still alive, so I guess I'll survive. :LOL:

I'm not sure what to think about the grocery store not only knowing everything I buy, but how to contact me. If they ever connect with my Dr., I could be in for a serious chewing out!

Do you use their rewards card? If so, you gave them all that information.... and likely signed you agreement for them to collect it.

I just got a phone call from Kroger telling me that some hummus I bought probably a couple of months ago has been recalled! Well the hummus is long gone and I am still alive, so I guess I'll survive. :LOL:

I'm not sure what to think about the grocery store not only knowing everything I buy, but how to contact me. If they ever connect with my Dr., I could be in for a serious chewing out!
We got the same phone message, and the Sabra that we bought over a month ago. I'm pretty sure DH ate it all up last month.

DH looked it up, and Sabra tests the products on their line for listeria every 2 mins! and didn't find any contaminated final products. So it's very unlikely that you got some contaminated hummus. http://www.sabra.com/recall

So - chances of illness super slim.

I believe Kroger has our phone number because we gave it when we signed up for their rewards card many years ago. And because we wand that rewards card to get the grocery discounts and discount credits for fuel every time we shop there, they could easily get the information from our recent purchase history.

So yes - Kroger has a history of everything I buy, and it is associated with a phone number. I'm pretty sure that's the only info I gave them besides name.

Last edited:
I was sick in bed out of the blue last Sunday when DH saw on the news that the hummus I'd been eating that morning had been recalled.

Last edited:
I was sick in bed out of the blue last Sunday when DH saw on the news that the hummus I'd been eating that morning had had been recalled.

See my note about chances being super slim as the finished Sabra products themselves were not found to be contaminated - they are tested every two minutes. http://www.sabra.com/recall

Last edited:
Yesterday my Kroger receipt had a notification that some cheese i had bought had been recalled. I never got sick.

Yes, I'm sure this tracking is done through the loyalty/discount cards. Since I gave them a (slightly) bogus name and (very) bogus contact info, there's no way I could have gotten a call/email. But, given the tardiness of these notifications, it doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

See my note about chances being super slim as the finished Sabra products themselves were not found to be contaminated - they are tested every two minutes. Sabra Hummus Recall

Perhaps not "super slim" - there were no instances found of products that were tested, but what does their testing entail? Even if the product is tested every 2 minutes - what does that mean? Is it 1 cup of product out of 5 gallons that is tested? I'm not a microbiologist, but a bacteria isn't necessarily going to spread homogeneously throughout a product, is it? It depends on how long the manufactured product has existed in the manufacturing process, what temperature it is at, any acids/bases that were added which may kill/slow down the organism, etc. Lots of variables.

I got a call from Costco about it. DH was amazed Costco had the information but I reminded him we can return anything we ever bought there because of records like that. Ghe hummus had been eaten several weeks ago so I guess it wasn't contaminated.

I was going to post this on the weight loss thread, but I ate a burger from Wendy's yesterday and ended up with terrible cramps and diarrhea. I weighed myself this morning and I had lost 4 lbs! Newest diet fad book should be released in a month or so. The Single with Cheese Cleanse.

Perhaps not "super slim" - there were no instances found of products that were tested, but what does their testing entail? Even if the product is tested every 2 minutes - what does that mean? Is it 1 cup of product out of 5 gallons that is tested? I'm not a microbiologist, but a bacteria isn't necessarily going to spread homogeneously throughout a product, is it? It depends on how long the manufactured product has existed in the manufacturing process, what temperature it is at, any acids/bases that were added which may kill/slow down the organism, etc. Lots of variables.
OK - thanks.

I wasn't planning on buying anymore right away.

We had Sabra hummus, unopened in the refrigerator when I read about the recall. Yup, it was one of the ones listed so I tossed it and filled out a form on the Sabra site. They said they will issue a coupon for a replacement.

DH bought it at a store that does not use a loyalty/shopper card so they did not have identifying info on who bought the hummus. But that's nice that stores notified customers who bought the item.

Back
Top Bottom