Recommend an Oximeter

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to buy an oximeter mostly for the pulse/heart rate function. I want to compare the results from my smartwatch heart rate monitor vs. the results from the oximeter.

The reason I want to do this is the last time I did my rowing machine exercise, at about 11 minutes into my session, my smartwatch said my heart rate had was at 205 beats per minute. While I felt a little flush I didn't sense my heartbeat racing. I have other reasons to question the accuracy of my smartwatch heart rate monitor.

So I'm looking for recommendations for an oximeter. But first of all, are oximeter heart rate monitors known to be accurate? Is buying an oximeter for the heart rate function a good idea?

If the answer to those questions is 'yes', then:

What oximeter do you recommend and why?

Can oximeters be worn during exercising, like using a rowing machine, bicycling, jogging, weightlifting, etc.?

Most likely will be purchasing on Amazon so availability of the product there would be a plus.

I purchased 2 for $6.99 and they are exactly the same as the one Walmart sells for $38! My doc said they are both as accurate as his.

I think most oximeters are designed to take your pulse once not continuously. You might be better to bite the bullet and get a chest strap type heart rate monitor as my understanding is these are the most accurate. Wrist type monitors seem to go awry when I'm sweating the most but that's just an impression I have.

The simple ones are clipped to your finger for a few seconds to a minute to check pulse and oxygen levels, so not good for continuous use while exercising.

I really like the Innova Plus on Amazon. About $30. My wife and I had three good chances to test it against the fancy bedside monitors in the emergency room recently when she was trampled by her horse. It ran neck and neck against the hospital equipment. Of course even the hospital equipment takes periodic samples so its not really instant readings.

As retired volunteer EMTs we think every household should have one. But false readings can cause unnecessary grief. Here’s a few of my personal tips:

1. Don’t take the first offer. Readings take a while to stabilize and the first numbers you see are likely wrong.
2. Don’t use it in the cold or with cold fingers. I thought I was dying one cold day on a walk when it said 75. But I felt great and was probably really 96.
3. Remove any nail polish before using or you could get weird readings.
4. Most people use these on the same index finger each time. But its fun to see how different readings can be on different fingers or hands.
5. Make sure you have good batteries or someone might pronounce you dead.
6. Expect readings to decrease as you go higher in altitude where less oxygen is present.
7. My readings usually average 95-96 and I have emphysema and live at 4250’. When I go skiing at 7500 I might see 93-94.
8. Hardly anyone our age gets 100 on this test but most people will probably be in a range of 95-100 in normal circumstances and altitudes.Less than about 88 starts concerning me unless I can identify a good reason.
9. Treat the patient, not the machine. If it says 75 but the wearer is upright, smiling, breathing, talking, and has normal color, the problem is probably Chinese electronics.

The movements you do with exercise and tension in the muscles can make a pulse oximeter reading inaccurate and can also interfere with HR measurements. You need to be still for 30-60 seconds to begin to get an accurate assessment of pulse ox, in most cases.

I have often been asked to evaluate newborns with low O2 readings. Relaxing a clenched, extending a wrist, stopping a newborn’s cries all result in accurate readings, raising the pulse ox as much as ten percentage points.

My Apple Watch gives accurate pulse readings. It has a pulse oximeter, and I have a $30 one I bought in the grocery store. Neither work well during exercise. The technology is simple, but one need to be still and relaxed to get an accurate pulse ox reading during exercise, requiring a pause. Home units aren’t designed for accuracy during exercise.

While you're at it, go ahead and buy one of those small wrist monitors that checks your blood pressure and pulse.

They now are remarkably accurate.

My cardiologist says people really need to watch their blood pressure more in their retirement years. Very few people, especially those with potential heart problems, take their blood pressure enough.

Back
Top Bottom