Recommend Wellesley to parents: good advice?

soupcxan said:
It would be nice to slice and dice with individual mutual funds for each asset class but knowing my parents, if one of them has a bad couple of quarters, they will want to sell it, despite my exhortations about asset allocation plans and long-term performance blah blah blah.

Based on these comments, I would say you need to pick one fund and leave it at that. Otherwise they will dump everything that drops and screw things up royally.

Well, for simplicity it would be hard to beat a Target Retirement fund. For my wife's IRA, our initial transfers are into Wellesley but after we have finished the transfers we plan to add some funds into the Star Fund to capture some growth and diversity. But if two funds are too many just go with a Target Retirement fund.

It looks like Vanguard's Target Retirement Income Fund (VTINX) is one of their most conservative:

46% total bond
24% total stock
22% tips
8% other

Hmmm

Had my Mom in the forerunner - Lifestrategy Income for 11 years before she passed last Dec. Had Target Income been availible then - would have been a no brainer.

I INTERCEPTED ALL STATEMENTS FROM VANGUARD - and explained them - so the Depression era mentality wouldn't click in - easy cause she lived with us.

heh heh heh heh heh

Back
Top Bottom