Recommendations and when to exceed them

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

The past day or two I've been pondering.

To me, there are three broad categories of recommendations for COVID-19:

1. Things that are based in science and recommended by preeminent experts. This would include, for example, washing your hands with soap and water for a certain amount of time.

2. Things that are being suggested by ordinary folks that seem like they would probably help but probably won't hurt. These things may be somewhat wasteful but may help from a peace-of-mind maintaining-control-over-one's-fate point of view. An example here might be changing shoes after going on an errand.

3. Things that are being suggested that are slightly more odd and may be actively dangerous to health. For example, I believe I saw a report of a couple who was sickened by ingesting a fish tank cleaner which had a chemical similar to one which is a potentially therapeutic for the virus.

My two sets of questions for y'all:

1. I think most people are doing everything in category 1, and most probably do some things in category 2. For category 2 items, how do you decide how much you're going to do - i.e., what makes you decide you'll do X recommendation but not Y? Also, do you take into consideration whether something is a category 1 item vs. a category 2 item?

2. For people who are doing a lot of category 2 items, how do you decide that it is a category 2 item and not a category 3 item?

No judgments, just curious. Thanks.

Of course we all have our own definitions of what's a 1, 2 or 3 so answers will be all over the place. The couple who ingested fish tank cleaner obviously thought it was a 1 or 2 idea. There are other factors that influence choices, Darwin had a theory.

We do everything we think is worthwhile whether it comes from a scientific source or reasonable layperson. We don't do anything based on one source, we triple check (at least) any suggestion no matter who it comes from. If it comes from an unfamiliar source on the internet, I wouldn't even bother reading it, much less trying it. If it's valid, it will be widely communicated by other sources soon enough. No reason to go on a wild goose chase before then IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom