Reddit thread r/hatemyjob

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1000

I would edit the quote to include quite a lot more than just the "crazy" people: "The problem with the internet is that it allows crazy (or stupid, or angry, or lazy, or delusional, or ignorant, or ...) people to easily find each other and convince themselves they are the normal ones."

I guess the flipside is also true to some extent, as evidenced by my happy participation in this forum for many years. :)
Reddit, which I do enjoy. Is a self enforced echo chamber. Each sub has a different personality and the folks who post are generally of the same mindset. The best example is r/conservative and r/politics each leans different political directions and those who dare post something of the "other" viewpoint is downvoted by the regulars and the poster likely banned.

Reddit, which I do enjoy. Is a self enforced echo chamber. Each sub has a different personality and the folks who post are generally of the same mindset. The best example is r/conservative and r/politics each leans different political directions and those who dare post something of the "other" viewpoint is downvoted by the regulars and the poster likely banned.

Agreed. I'm active on several Reddit subs and have seen the fairly strident groupthink you mentioned. It's less prevalent in non-ideological, non-philosophical, non-political subs. I have zero desire to participate in divisive, intolerant, ideological subs, but Reddit is great when I need to get some feedback or advice about things like wine, technology, gadgets, TV shows, board games, etc.

I realize a "job" or "working" is a means to an end. How hard you try, the opportunities you create, the effort you put in, it's all relative to how it will "end". I realize there are probably exceptions as there are anywhere, but what I noticed in my own career is that each experience, each new project, new boss, new team I worked on all added up to a higher annual salary. At one point last year I was working 2 regular IT jobs at once, and I certainly wasn't complaining, especially when the checks cleared my bank account. It was stressful, and difficult, and I also ran a side-hustle. All of this effort is what it will take for me to FIRE, a goal some might aspire for but often fail to plan for and act accordingly. Some of my friends are in the "lay flat" mentality where they don't want to work for megacorp, or corp. america, or the typical 9 to 5 etc. but as I age I begin to wonder what there futures will look like. Some are basically nomad's with next to nothing saved, not a whirly possession to speak of but certainly lots of travel and the costs associated to brag about.

Then there are the legit complaints. Like this guy who hadn't received a raise for the past 2 years working at Titanic MegaCorp on the sinking titanic. He decided he would just start re-arranging the chairs on the ships deck instead of busting butt for no real acknowledgement nor financial gain. IF you are the top performer on the team, and still not receiving a raise or compensation, it's time to move along...but why not display your pride on the way off the boat. This could totally be a satire as we don't really know if he pre-recorded his bosses convo, but its still funny how he simply states "I've decided to become a fair market employee to match my fair market pay".

https://www.tiktok.com/@krisdrinkslemonade/video/7062142035893095727

I don't use reddit at all, I would rather complain about my investments in this forum, then my job in that forum...WAAY more fun and rewarding.

Agreed. I'm active on several Reddit subs and have seen the fairly strident groupthink you mentioned. It's less prevalent in non-ideological, non-philosophical, non-political subs. I have zero desire to participate in divisive, intolerant, ideological subs, but Reddit is great when I need to get some feedback or advice about things like wine, technology, gadgets, TV shows, board games, etc.

I have also found it to be very helpful to get current and relevant experience. An example was a trial of T-Mobile's home internet. We tried it and well...it sucks. I wanted to see the best way to cancel/return the device and Reddit has the most recent experiences about that. I am also currently watching to see if any of the recent Amazon Price increase hacks actually work. A simple Google search comes up with some articles that are a week (or more old) and to me...that is stale information.

As to the echo chambers like any local sub Reddit or one that has ANY political stances to it...yeah, no thanks.

I am also currently watching to see if any of the recent Amazon Price increase hacks actually work.

Which Reddit sub is discussing this? I take it you're referring to the AMZN Prime price increase? And yeah, Reddit is super helpful when it comes to stuff like that.

Which Reddit sub is discussing this? I take it you're referring to the AMZN Prime price increase? And yeah, Reddit is super helpful when it comes to stuff like that.

Nothing too relevant as of yet, but I will keep an eye out. Mine isn't up for renewal until December, so I am not inclined to try the "gift subscription" this early on. I would guess that AMZN will root out most of the hacks by then. :angel:

Sorry...back to the original topic...

Previous generations didn’t have Reddit and chose other ways to express themselves.

+1. The internet is a much bigger water cooler (or in the case of my old company, free coffee machine), that is far more efficient at connecting like-minded people.

+1000
I would edit the quote to include quite a lot more than just the "crazy" people: "The problem with the internet is that it allows crazy (or stupid, or angry, or lazy, or delusional, or ignorant, or ...) people to easily find each other and convince themselves they are the normal ones."

I guess the flipside is also true to some extent, as evidenced by my happy participation in this forum for many years. :)

Birds of a feather, etc etc etc :LOL:

I worked a lot more hours, at times, in my career. But my work was mental, not physical. Hopefully the reddit poster is getting paid overtime for the 10 hours above 40 hours/week.

Many people who have to stand on their feet for their entire shift end up with back pain. Hairdressers, manufacturing line workers, etc... It can be physically rough.

That said - he shouldn't complain too much - he's employed in a field he chose. And the dream of becoming a twitch streamer, youtuber is pretty common (my older son had those dreams) but it's not realistic. The few youtubers I know that do it full time and support themselves work very hard to be interesting, create new content, and not just play video games with the occasional grunt, laugh, or swear word.

Older son has a physical job - but they change it up for him. He works at a grocery store. He's on his feet for the whole time but will do checkout, then get carts in the parking lot, then push the big broom/duster thing... He complains that more than 2 hours straight of checking out (standing in the same position) will result in back pain... I can see that.

Back in the early 90's I went through a somewhat extended period of not working. In April of 1990, I quit a job waiting tables, and didn't work again until August of 1991, when I got a job as a sales associate at a department store.

I was in college at the time, so getting an education took priority over having a job. Anyway, I was only 21 when I went back to work, but after being out of the workforce for that amount of time, it took its toll on me at first, and it took me awhile to get accustomed to it again. I was on my feet constantly when I was a waiter, and as a sales associate had to go back to that.

Even though working at the department store wasn't as fast-paced, being on my feet for that long still wore me out. And this wasn't 50 hours a week, either! It was just 12-20 hours per week. Naturally, I got re-acclimated to it, but it took a few weeks to get into the routine.

So, I guess I can sort of relate to the original poster talking about being worn out. Being out of work for a couple years can do that to you! But, already wanting to quit, after only being back working for a week or so at that young age, that's just crazy!

Now I can understand having an attitude about work, if you don't really need to work. I'll confess I get that, myself, as I struggle with OMY syndrome. But, at 27, this guy has a long ways to go.

Two characteristics of social media reinforce each other in today's society - first, the ability to link up with other like-minded people who will encourage and support negative views of working, and second, people use social media to portray themselves in the most flattering way possible, which makes people think "I'm the only person not taking fabulous vacations and having an abundant social life. That must be because I work too much."

Considering how many times I have used the joke "w*rk is a 4 letter word", I don't think I have the right to dish on the Reddit kid too much.

But since YOLO, I will.

His level of entitlement is pretty breathtaking, but I don't think it is particularly representative of youth. I was actually gratified to see how much **** he took from redditers on Ihatemyjob subforum.

There's good Reddit and bad Reddit. You've done a good analysis. People want to categorize it as bad social media because of some subs, and ignore everything else. That's kinda crazy IMO. I put more time into Reddit now, so I get much more out of it.

Gift yourself a subscription. That will get you through one more year at the current price.

I like reading the reddit boards for homeimprovement and plumbing. My favorite is idiotsincars. Seriously, r/idiotsincars is very educational and entertaining. You learn real quick how you can innocently be involved in an accident with no hope of avoiding it. I got a dashcam based on it, although I hope I never have to upload my idiot-witnessed video.

I also follow TV programs and movies on subs. To me, these are the good subs.

But man, there are some dark places. I mean really dark. r/antiwork got fed to me and I don't consider it dark, it is more educational to me to see what a certain cohort thinks.

Interesting article discussing how Reddit has become the #1 search engine. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when I am looking for recent and relevant information, I usually go to Reddit. Yes, it takes a little work to dig through useless posts, but the results are usually better than what Google serves up.

https://dkb.io/post/google-search-is-dying

If you’ve tried to search for a recipe or product review recently, I don’t need to tell you that Google search results have gone to ****. You would have already noticed that the first few non-ad results are SEO optimized sites filled with affiliate links and ads.

Google still gives decent results for many other categories, especially when it comes to factual information. You might think that Google results are pretty good for you, and you have no idea what I’m talking about.

Interesting article discussing how Reddit has become the #1 search engine. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when I am looking for recent and relevant information, I usually go to Reddit. Yes, it takes a little work to dig through useless posts, but the results are usually better than what Google serves up.

https://dkb.io/post/google-search-is-dying

Thank you for reminding me: I've been searching for a few days for information on a minor but irritating workout (weights) related injury. I get scores of useless hits on Google. I entered the search terms again and then put "site:reddit.com" at the end of the line and half of the hits on the first page were very relevant and the other half less relevant (but still useful).

Heh, heh, I already spend too much time HERE and we're adequately moderated. I may look into Reddit for a better search engine function but don't plan to spend a lot of time sharing ideas there. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom