Reducing your cable bill

DirecTV is part of ATT? That's interesting news.

Roy in New Mexico

Considering they paid almost $50 billion a few years ago they may be regretting it. It sure hasnt helped their stock price any.

Cell phone plan for DH/me total at consumer cellular: $45
ATT Uverse: includes 3 TV's 250 channels with local channels and great reception, recording (including movie channels we like for series watching like Billions, Game of Thrones etc. Also includes landline because we like a landline and fast internet. $150
Netflix $10 but niece and nephew share so it's kind of a little gift to them.
Amazon Prime $9 with a bunch of benefits.
So the whole package = $215. Cell phones, cable, landline, movie channels, internet, free shipping on so many things. Is that good?

Considering they paid almost $50 billion a few years ago they may be regretting it. It sure hasnt helped their stock price any.

ATT's Direct TV now is doing pretty well marketsharewise.

These numbers are a tad old (end of 2017), but show DirectTV Now as #2 in their market in total subscribers:

1,700,000 Sling TV (Dish Network)
1,000,000 DirectTV Now
455,000 Sony Playstation Vue
325,000 YouTube TV
150,000 Hulu
100,000 FuboTV

DirectTV Now is also growing faster than DirectTV (satellite service) is shrinking.

ATT's Direct TV now is doing pretty well marketsharewise.

These numbers are a tad old (end of 2017), but show DirectTV Now as #2 in their market in total subscribers:

1,700,000 Sling TV (Dish Network)
1,000,000 DirectTV Now
455,000 Sony Playstation Vue
325,000 YouTube TV
150,000 Hulu
100,000 FuboTV

DirectTV Now is also growing faster than DirectTV (satellite service) is shrinking.

For ATT the growth of DirecTV Now, even though a faster pace than the DirecTV satellite losses is still a big negative as the margins are much smaller than the Satellite plans.

Cell phone plan for DH/me total at consumer cellular: $45
ATT Uverse: includes 3 TV's 250 channels with local channels and great reception, recording (including movie channels we like for series watching like Billions, Game of Thrones etc. Also includes landline because we like a landline and fast internet. $150
Netflix $10 but niece and nephew share so it's kind of a little gift to them.
Amazon Prime $9 with a bunch of benefits.
So the whole package = $215. Cell phones, cable, landline, movie channels, internet, free shipping on so many things. Is that good?

Depends on what you want!

My "whole package" is $109.99..... $79.99 for Cox Cable internet (only), plus $30 for Cricket Wireless cell phone. I get 40-60 or so channels of HDTV using an indoor antenna that Frank made for me with $5 of wood and wire, and really that is more TV than I even want or need these days. I have Amazon Prime and Frank's Netflix, but I don't count these because honestly I never watch either except when he is over here and wants to watch TV together.

I absolutely LOVE not having a landline for the past three years, because I don't get nearly as many spam phone calls now. Besides, why would I want to race across the room to answer the phone (and usually find out that it is spam), when my cell phone is right here by my elbow? :)

Cell phones for DW & I - $70 talk text and data
Centurylink internet - $45
Hulu - $8
OTA HDTV - FREE

$123 all in

For ATT the growth of DirecTV Now, even though a faster pace than the DirecTV satellite losses is still a big negative as the margins are much smaller than the Satellite plans.
The last I read at $35 they admitted losing money on this. They recently bumped price to $40. So they were trying to grow market share. The margins at best are considerably weaker than the traditional Direct packages.

Depends on what you want!

My "whole package" is $109.99..... $79.99 for Cox Cable internet (only), plus $30 for Cricket Wireless cell phone. I get 40-60 or so channels of HDTV using an indoor antenna that Frank made for me with $5 of wood and wire, and really that is more TV than I even want or need these days. I have Amazon Prime and Frank's Netflix, but I don't count these because honestly I never watch either except when he is over here and wants to watch TV together.

I absolutely LOVE not having a landline for the past three years, because I don't get nearly as many spam phone calls now. Besides, why would I want to race across the room to answer the phone (and usually find out that it is spam), when my cell phone is right here by my elbow? :)

You're right, depends what you want. We call out on landline only and ignore all other calls. The caller shows up on TV with U Verse and it is mostly junk calls. IF it is someone important, they leave a message. The 250 channels? We record a lot. DH crazy about tennis channels. We are active people, we sound like indoor hoarders. We just watch at night and sadly binge watch in bad weather. It's hard to let go of some of these things. When I was 32, I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Just stopped one day. I hated my clothes, curtains, hair, skin smelling like a dirty ashtray. I also hated feeling hung over, tired. Never looked back. You'd think I could give up these ridiculously expensive habits.

You're right, depends what you want. We call out on landline only and ignore all other calls. The caller shows up on TV with U Verse and it is mostly junk calls. IF it is someone important, they leave a message. The 250 channels? We record a lot. DH crazy about tennis channels. We are active people, we sound like indoor hoarders. We just watch at night and sadly binge watch in bad weather. It's hard to let go of some of these things. When I was 32, I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Just stopped one day. I hated my clothes, curtains, hair, skin smelling like a dirty ashtray. I also hated feeling hung over, tired. Never looked back. You'd think I could give up these ridiculously expensive habits.

I don't think you sound like indoor hoarders! You sound like people who watch TV just for a few hours each day, but are particular about what you want to watch. Nothing wrong with that! As for giving up TV, if you are enjoying it and can afford it and are active, I don't see anything wrong with it. I just don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy the internet or video games. I am not as active as I might wish, but right now I just happen to dislike most TV and movies so I spend my couch potato time doing other things.

Back
Top Bottom