Relocating to Oregon

Our friends just got back from a visit to Portland. They said, "Gosh I'm glad we don't live there. It was hot and crowded."

Our friends just got back from a visit to Portland. They said, "Gosh I'm glad we don't live there. It was hot and crowded."
It was hot because we just finished a visit up there, and Mother Nature is determined to see me remain miserably hot wherever I go.

Reactions: W2R
Yeh, summer arrived about 10 days ago, maybe last another 10 days. :dance: Temps in the high 70s-mid 80s. For us that is HOT!

Articles such as that in the NY Times travel section today brings lots of visitors in August. I hope they don't get the wrong impression about our weather. ;)

Last edited:
They never go to Shakespeare in Ashland! We love it, though. We could live in Ashland happily.

T-Al is right about Medford. Too hot.

My parents retired to Rogue River, 15 miles north of Medford (50 miles north of the OR/CA border) 30 years ago. Comparatively speaking I'd characterize the climate as mild. A 3-10 100+ days and about the same number of 20- days a year. In the Rogue Valley, I think Ashland has by far the most charm, between the wonderful Shakespeare festival and the University of Southern Oregon campus. Grants Pass Oregon is also very liveable little city, with slightly cooler days, and much less foggy winters than Medford. The only thing Medford has going for it is shopping.

I only spent a week there but Eugune OR. impressed the heck out of me as place to retire, sort of likely Berkeley, without the smell and the crazies.

I retired to SW Oregon near Grants Pass about 12 years ago from the Bay Area (California) and I have been extremely pleased with this move. The housing cost differential enabled us to buy outright a little 7 acre place that we turned into a mini goat farm and quite frankly If I'd known this sort of thing is actually doable I would have done it much earlier. I love music and to me it's quite amusing that I actually go the symphony and Jazz festivals far more frequently that I ever did while living in the big metropolis.

Back
Top Bottom