Rent owed after death

bmcgonig

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Someone I know died recently after a few months in a nursing home. They owned a mobile home in a trailer park for which they lot rental monthly. They didn't pay rent while in the nursing home as they were incapable. As far as I know they don't have any close next of kin so I'm wondering what happens next to their belongings and how would the mobile home park get paid. Does the state handle it? If so how? The home is in CA.

It depends on what State.

In MN, if it were a rental house, they owe rent for at least the notice period, likely 60 days. They, or their next of kin, have 28 days to get their stuff out.

After that, it is disposed of. Any money from any sale can be used to make the park whole. A mobile home is not real estate, it is personal property, like a vehicle.

I am sure CA is different, but similar.

It depends on what State.

In MN, if it were a rental house, they owe rent for at least the notice period, likely 60 days. They, or their next of kin, have 28 days to get their stuff out.

After that, it is disposed of. Any money from any sale can be used to make the park whole. A mobile home is not real estate, it is personal property, like a vehicle.

I am sure CA is different, but similar.
Who would dispose of the mobile home? Would the park just break the lock and come in, or would they need a probate judge or the state in some capacity to do something?

I assume that the mobile home is worth more than the rent due. What happens in that case?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom