Rental Car Insurance Options from Credit Cards

Thanks. That's what they promise.

I carry huge deductibles on my personal insurance, so I know if I had to use them, I'd also have to include the credit cards. It just sounds like a lot of hassle. For weekend jaunts, the $30 or so seems worth it to me. For 2 week trips, well, maybe the hassle would be worth it.

Where I'm renting for 2 weeks, the CDW is $30 a day! So it almost doubles an already substantial rental cost.

For just one or two days - different story. Especially if it's a lot lower than $30 a day.

fosters, thanks for the additional info. I admit to being exhausted just by reading all the T&Cs on these cards and trying to determine what they actually mean! I carry the Sapphire always, but have had the Barclays once before and just picked it up again for the spend bonus.

I carry liability only coverage on my old cars, and lots of it, but always worry just a bit with a rental car and try to rent using the card that has primary coverage for damage to the car itself, not liability. There's that pesky "loss of use" fee that they threaten you with when you decline coverage, but I'll have to cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

DH will be on public transportation (the Marrakesh express, it looks like) during his upcoming trip to Morocco in April/May. But I will probably send him with the Barclays card because of the chip/pin ease and no foreign transaction fees.

This thread made me look up what's covered on some of my cards. I got the PenFed visa for the chip and pin - but it specifically covers that pesky "loss of use".... From the PDF on their website under what *is* covered by the card:
 Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and
substantiated by the auto rental company

Yep, it is that "substantiated" part that is the sticky part, if they won't give the logs to the card company.
I figure like most people that odds are good we won't get hit, and I'll let them wrestle it out if it does happen.

Yep, it is that "substantiated" part that is the sticky part, if they won't give the logs to the card company.
I figure like most people that odds are good we won't get hit, and I'll let them wrestle it out if it does happen.

Exactly - that "substantiated" part can be the sticker and can give the credit car company an out.

But from the stories I have read, some credit card companies have been accommodative on this - maybe if it's not ridiculous.

Exactly - that "substantiated" part can be the sticker and can give the credit car company an out.

But from the stories I have read, some credit card companies have been accommodative on this - maybe if it's not ridiculous.

But if the rental company cannot substantiate that the car was not rented, how can they demand loss of use payment ?

DH will be on public transportation (the Marrakesh express, it looks like) during his upcoming trip to Morocco in April/May. But I will probably send him with the Barclays card because of the chip/pin ease and no foreign transaction fees.
Will you be joining him for the finish line party this time?

Hell no. :)

He's going with Hans and a few of the rally veterans, so in good hands, I think. Though what he really needs is a support vehicle, like a van or something, to follow behind the mini-bikes and carry pretty much everything they can't put on the back of the knee-high machines.

I have seen some very cheap flights....just sayin'...

Back
Top Bottom