Has anyone Claimed Travel Insurance from Chase Credit Card

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a chase credit card that covers any car rental accidents and Chase says they will cover it.
I'm renting a car for 2 weeks in Italy. Some here says it's better to just get the collision protection from the car agency. This will cost me $165.
Or should I rely on my Chase Credit card that says 'don't get collision protection from the car rental company, we will cover it."

I would call Chase and confirm. At the same time, $165 for two weeks doesn't seem too bad to me.

I had rental coverage through my credit card, but it was secondary, meaning it covered what the primary wouldn’t. Weird set up, but we ended up using it when a utility truck hit us in Hawaii.

I made three claims with Chase. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Two were in the US for flat tires replacements and one in Europe for a broken window.

The reimbursement process was easy. I submitted the paperwork on their website and received a credit after a couple weeks (don’t remember the exact timeline).

I filed a claim with Southwest Rapid Rewards after thieves broke a window and stole my backpack in California a few years back. Cost us $20 deductible to get window fixed, they billed us 2 months after we got home. Chase runs this credit card, also.

I have a chase credit card that covers any car rental accidents and Chase says they will cover it.

I'm renting a car for 2 weeks in Italy. Some here says it's better to just get the collision protection from the car agency. This will cost me $165.

Or should I rely on my Chase Credit card that says 'don't get collision protection from the car rental company, we will cover it."
I ALWAYS get it from the rental company. My concern is that I'll have to lay out the cash then wait (and wait) for the reimbursement. $165 is cheap for peace if mind IMHO

I ALWAYS get it from the rental company. My concern is that I'll have to lay out the cash then wait (and wait) for the reimbursement. $165 is cheap for peace if mind IMHO

That's also what I was thinking too (peace of mind). If I was in the US, it would be easier to skip it, but don't want the hassle while being in Europe.
I'm getting the car rental and that car insurance thru Travelocity but I think the $165 goes to the rental company.

IMO, for domestic rentals those collision damage charges are outrageously expensive and I never pay them. I will fund any damage out of my own pocket if necessary until the insurance can reimburse me. Between my credit card that gives primary coverage and my own insurance, I am well covered. Car rental is expensive enough these days without adding another 25 to 30% in fees for coverage I’ve already got.

I am talking domestic rentals. Overseas, I would spring for an insurance package that also includes general liability. The legal systems in other countries can be a maze.

The only reason I keep my Chase Sapphire Preferred card is the primary car rental insurance. It’s cheap at $45 a year ($95 yearly fee minus $50 a year travel credit). The modest trip insurance is a minor benefit also. Combined they are well worth the $45.

Last edited:
My understanding is that most credit card issuers insure with a third party insurance company. That has been our experience.

Our credit card rental insurance (on three different cards) specifically state that we should decline all rental company insurance.

One friend was involved in an accident in Italy. His Avis car was clipped by a truck that did not stop. He returned the car to Avis, never heard anything more about it. No police report or anything like that

We have been fortunate. Rented calls all over the world, many in Italy, Greece, and Turkey, etc. Never a problem except when the agency tries to upsell insurance. If the car has an antenna we always unscrew it and place it in the trunk until we return the car. Ex rental agent in Portugal gave us this tip.

Back
Top Bottom