Renter's rat damage

I am going to throw my opinion in, but am on the other side of most people... especially after the update..

I think it is the tenants responsibility for the damage to the couch... she to PM but then said to do nothing as she was going to get a quote... when it was determined that that was not going to happen she was not available to meet an exterminator... not sure if she should have been involved, but it sounds like she wanted to be... it was only after damage that she is saying it was PM or owners problem...

BTW, have you seen the bill on the new couch? I think you mentioned it but do not remember...

Also, is it clear that it was rat damage instead of something else? IMO a rat would not do much damage that is obvious but would be trying to make a nest... the other possibility is that it has the same material that some cars use for their wires that rats eat...

...it was only after damage that she is saying it was PM or owners problem...

BTW, have you seen the bill on the new couch? I think you mentioned it but do not remember...

Also, is it clear that it was rat damage instead of something else?

True, the tenant did insert herself into the process (she even went out and bought catch/release traps) but showed no sense of urgency until too late.

No I haven't seen the sofa invoice. It's just a verbal estimate. But I did see a tag and sticker still on the sofa, so I know it was new.

Yes, it is clearly rat damage, tucked back in cozy corners and bottoms of cushions.

True, the tenant did insert herself into the process (she even went out and bought catch/release traps) but showed no sense of urgency until too late.

No I haven't seen the sofa invoice. It's just a verbal estimate. But I did see a tag and sticker still on the sofa, so I know it was new.

Yes, it is clearly rat damage, tucked back in cozy corners and bottoms of cushions.

She lost whatever sympathy I had for her when she bought a catch and release rat trap....;)

We free feed our dogs so food is down all the time. Never had rats anywhere we have lived. Replace the sofa. If I was the tenant I would be moving out. Definitely your fault for not totally dealing with the problem in the first place.

+1

I also was a landlord in the past. Pay for the sofa. A tenant should not have to deal with a rodent infestation. You can deduct the cost on your Schedule E.

I need these posts to remind me not to get back into real estate rental.

Rats can be tough!

tumblr_phvqszOVQD1tlb56zo1_500.gif

That's funny! But it could easily have gone the other way.

We had a cat in Florida who went out at night to hunt. One night, we heard a terrible racket just outside the front door. The cat came in when the door was opened, and next morning we found a huge rat in three pieces (nose, tail, and the rest) just outside the door.

Rats can be tough!

tumblr_phvqszOVQD1tlb56zo1_500.gif

Since we have some experts here.... question. I have had voles under my driveway, which is lifting due to tree roots.

This year, the hole got very big. I'm wondering if something bigger like a rat has moved in. I'm afraid to use snap traps because I don't want any domestic animal to get one of those suckers caught on its paw or snout.

Any suggestions? We have a neighborhood cat that cruises around, but I think it is well fed.

Yes, but you won't like it. You need to get your driveway fixed so there are no more holes.

Since we have some experts here.... question. I have had voles under my driveway, which is lifting due to tree roots.

This year, the hole got very big.

Any suggestions? .

Yes, but you won't like it. You need to get your driveway fixed so there are no more holes.

Arghhh! I am in denial. I know that is the correct answer. I have a regular McMansion For Small Mammals with an Open House sign parked in front.

Do we have a home repair thread? I'd like to open up a discussion about this and other stuff.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled renter rat topic. :)

I just skimmed through the posts, but what does the lease say about pest control and/or damage to the premise? If it's not in the lease, then I would recommend coming up with a new lease before you get new tenants.

Your property manager really screwed up. I would try to get the sofa money from them. We have had rentals and I feel your pain but not the tenants fault.

In my view, your real issue is with the property manager, not the tenant. As a tenant, if I notify the property manager regarding the presence of rats, I expect pest control as the first response and the property manager to coordinate things, not just putting out a few traps and expecting the renter to to this.

The property manager, in my view, is playing you and the tenant off of each other, and saying "not my circus, not my monkeys".

My approach would be to pay the tenant's couch, and see if you can withhold/negotiate this from the property manager when the contract is up for renewal, or look for a new property manager.

I agree with this post. Have tenant provide proof of replacement cost and pay for this timely. Try to get PM to accept some responsibility and strongly consider changing PM’s.

OP here. Well this is finally fully resolved so I thought I would post how it turned out.

We decided to offer to split the cost of the damaged sofa three ways...between us, the property manager, and the tenant. Our view was that we as owners did all we could by authorizing use of a professional exterminator as soon as the problem was first identified. It was the back-and-forth between the property manager and tenant that delayed the resolution so long that the damage to the sofa occurred.

This proposed resolution was rejected by the tenant, who sent us a mildly aggressive letter saying that we had concealed the problem from her when she moved in and that she could have moved out while the rats problem persisted and sued us for the cost of the hotel until the problem was resolved.

Well, she was right that she probably could have moved out while the place had rats, and in hindsight I wish she had...then she wouldn't have bought a new sofa to be ruined. But she was wrong that we had concealed the problem from her. In the 7 years that we had owned the place, this was the first time anyone had seen any evidence of rats.

In the end we decided to bite the bullet and pay her back in full for her sofa. She had purchased a warranty on the sofa, and she was able to get a refund for that, so we reimbursed her for the remainder of her invoice. And she paid to have the damaged sofa hauled away. The exterminators had to come back several times to plug additional entry sites after their original work didn't fully exclude the rats. But now all has been silent and clear of rat-evidence for about a month. It ended up costing us about $2600 for the exterminators and about $1800 for the sofa. Rats!

......... It ended up costing us about $2600 for the exterminators and about $1800 for the sofa. Rats!
Thanks for the update. This assures me that I don't ever want to be a landlord. :blush:

OP here. Well this is finally fully resolved so I thought I would post how it turned out.

We decided to offer to split the cost of the damaged sofa three ways...between us, the property manager, and the tenant. Our view was that we as owners did all we could by authorizing use of a professional exterminator as soon as the problem was first identified. It was the back-and-forth between the property manager and tenant that delayed the resolution so long that the damage to the sofa occurred.

This proposed resolution was rejected by the tenant, who sent us a mildly aggressive letter saying that we had concealed the problem from her when she moved in and that she could have moved out while the rats problem persisted and sued us for the cost of the hotel until the problem was resolved.

Well, she was right that she probably could have moved out while the place had rats, and in hindsight I wish she had...then she wouldn't have bought a new sofa to be ruined. But she was wrong that we had concealed the problem from her. In the 7 years that we had owned the place, this was the first time anyone had seen any evidence of rats.

In the end we decided to bite the bullet and pay her back in full for her sofa. She had purchased a warranty on the sofa, and she was able to get a refund for that, so we reimbursed her for the remainder of her invoice. And she paid to have the damaged sofa hauled away. The exterminators had to come back several times to plug additional entry sites after their original work didn't fully exclude the rats. But now all has been silent and clear of rat-evidence for about a month. It ended up costing us about $2600 for the exterminators and about $1800 for the sofa. Rats!

How did you leave it with the property manager?

Thanks for the update. This assures me that I don't ever want to be a landlord. :blush:

+1 Over the holidays DD was talking about buying a rental property and two aunts/uncles who have previously owned rental property tried to disuade her of it. I just said that I have never had my stocks call in the middle of the night about a leaky pipe.

We had to replace a washer (in the garage) and repair air conditioning hoses over rats. We found a hole in the garage they were getting in so that fixed the washer problem. Well, repairing the hole and buying a new washer.

Under the house, in the crawl space, they were always finding a way to follow the utility type hoses no matter how I tried to block them. What finally worked was one of our kids bought spray on insulation that hardens as it dries and put that around the hoses going into vents. The hardened foam has rat size gnaw marks on it, but they never chewed through that completely.

You must be relieved to have this resolved. Maybe the property management acknowledged to the tenant that there was evidence of rats but not to you—the exterminators had a lot of work to do and it doesn’t sound like a new problem:

The exterminators had to come back several times to plug additional entry sites after their original work didn't fully exclude the rats. But now all has been silent and clear of rat-evidence for about a month....

Wow, never would have thought that a landlord would have to pay for furniture owned by a tenant that was destroyed by pests they didn't do anything about in the house. Amazing. If anything I would have thought they'd be paying you for damage caused by the rats to your house because they were slobs/lazy or whatever else.

What happens if they bring bed bugs into the house? Are you responsible for all that cleanup too?

I've considered keeping my current house and renting out when I buy my next house but am learning more and more I should just sell it, take the money and run.

I'm not sure the Property Manager felt enough pain. In my shoes I might nose around for another manager.

And I'd make the renter feel some pain as well. Mandatory renters insurance. Most every apartment manager requires it. And then I would have a rent hike on renewal..."due to market conditions"

Back
Top Bottom