Retailers strong-arming customer to support charities

Regardless the pic makes me go..."Awwwwww". :)
Yeah, her eyes got us, too, as soon as we saw her. She's probably about 7 years old now or close to it. We adopted her late in 2005 as a Katrina rescue when we were in Houston. To this day she is terrified of hard, stormy weather, especially with thunder and lightning.

I do realize the poor cashiers are doing the management's bidding. I talked with a few few local sore managers. Usually it is a corporate decision.

It is a management problem. AKA how to pi$$ off customers.

Yeah, her eyes got us, too, as soon as we saw her. She's probably about 7 years old now or close to it. We adopted her late in 2005 as a Katrina rescue when we were in Houston. To this day she is terrified of hard, stormy weather, especially with thunder and lightning.
Bless her little heart.

Thank goodness y'all found each other. :)

We adopted our dog (see avatar) from one of their locations when they were having an adoption event there one day.
Yep. we got a pooch from a Petsmart "adoption day" with folks from a local animal rescue about 8 years ago. She was an older poodle and had obviously seen some rough times. DW is allergic to many types of dogs, but not to poodles, and she wanted to adopt this sad case.
So, not wanting to bring a lot of grief into our lives, I got her to agree that we would take the dog to a local vet and have her checked out before we adopted her.
Vet: "As you can probably tell, her irises are damaged, and she's blind. I'm not sure about her hearing, but she appears to be deaf. I think after you give her a bath, a lot of this dermatitis will likely clear up. She's just 11 years old, but I think she's the product of some irresponsible breeding and has a lot of issues. I haven't done an X-ray, but you can see that her back has some fairly advanced arthritis. Her hips are okay, but she's got some popping in her knees and I think one is unstable. I can't tell if she's got heartworms right now, but I hear some valve damage and a murmor, so she's definitely got some heart problems.
DW: "So, other than these things, is there anything seriously wrong with her?"

I couldn't stop laughing, and we still get a chuckle over it. We adopted the pooch and had her for 5 years. The meter at the vet's office was running the whole time. Worth every penny.

Rarely do I make checkout counter donations, however a few months ago when buying a Sunday paper at Plaid Pantry I agreed to donate $1 to the Salvation Army. When I looked at my receipt later it was listed as Salvation Army so I'm sure I could use the receipt and take it as a tax donation.

I'm kind of wondering if some businesses are setting up quotas that their checkout clerks must meet as that could explain some of the aggressiveness people have experienced in pushing donations.

When I get asked for a contribution from a cashier or even on the phone, I simply ask them if they would like to contribute to my favorite charity, the Autism Society of America (my adult son is autistic).

They usually don't know how to respond to that one, and just continues the checkout process without comment, or end the telephone call immediately...

Ahhh...damn Sam. Your post made me laugh and cry at the same time. :flowers:

I'm kind of wondering if some businesses are setting up quotas that their checkout clerks must meet as that could explain some of the aggressiveness people have experienced in pushing donations.

Might they be getting a commission on the $$ they gather?

Ha

Back
Top Bottom