Retire in a "Rari"

I'm not a car person and for me I just need something with wheels on it to get me from A to B. LOL I do enjoy looking at these fat rides but I would never spend that kind of money on a ride.

Umm that would "Phat" rides... LOL.

I agree that it seems pretty outrageous to buy a six-figure car.. Whenever I see one, I tell my wife, "There goes a house"

I am pretty conservative when it comes to most other purchases, but cars are my weakness.

My "Rari" dreams will likely end up with me just renting one for a weekend... but do think I will be able to be drive some cool cars like my Cayman in ER if things maintain.

Umm that would "Phat" rides... LOL.

I agree that it seems pretty outrageous to buy a six-figure car.. Whenever I see one, I tell my wife, "There goes a house"

I am pretty conservative when it comes to most other purchases, but cars are my weakness.

My "Rari" dreams will likely end up with me just renting one for a weekend... but do think I will be able to be drive some cool cars like my Cayman in ER if things maintain.

LOL >>>> I love your goals and owning a beautiful car like the ones you are talking about is fabulous. For me I would spend money on big ticket items if I have a passion for it. I love to buy land that can be way more expensive then a Lamborghini. LOL

Have fun you can because you can.

I should be dead a hundred times over

Sold my 911 last year.

I expected that occasionally I'd be tempted to stretch its legs on country roads. I admit to doing so a few times, which taught me an important lesson. When you're rocking 140 and a deer wanders out of the woods ahead, it's a good idea to be wearing your brown pants.

However, that car's most seductive allure was one I had not anticipated: every successive day I drove it, my average speed everywhere increased by 1 mph. After two weeks, I would be doing 40 in school zones and not noticing it.

I had to remind myself every two or three days to drive the minivan to re-calibrate my sense of speed.

The Porsche would go fast so effortlessly, it never felt as if I were going fast; more like all the other cars around me were plodding along like snails.

Considering some of the reckless things I've done, it's amazing that I managed to live this long.

Last edited:
Have a BMW 318ti California roof down here - manual, hard rubber tires, loud non-stock intake. At just over legal speeds it feels like I'm Johnny Lightning, Speed Racer. Other much faster BMWs haven't given the thrill of speed at 40mph this car does.

Did a couple hours of BMW Mcar track experience at BMW Performance Center West, located a whole 13 miles from us, and came home a very humble and slower driver.

Retire in a "Rari"

A friend of mine bought a 370k Ferrari berlinetta (sp?) 2 years ago and last year purchased a second one in a different color. The guy makes a ton of money, but intentionally never saves. He said his dad always taught him to spend money freely so that he maintains incentive to work!! I about fell over when he told me that as I belong to this forum and our mantra is the exact opposite, but importantly he's happy. It's funny how we all have a different perspective on life and work. My only problem is that with his second purchase he didn't get a lambo or some other exotic.

Last edited:
I got the "Rari" out of my system in my late 40's. I enjoyed it then I think a lot more than I would now. That along with my other 15 - 20 sports rockets I have gone through over the years.

My Rari was actually a 1986 Red Fiero GT. That rear engine V6 was a blast, used it only cost me $2800 at the time and I sold it 3 years later at a profit. It was a very inexpensive midlife crisis!

I know a guy who owns about a half dozen rare Ferraris, along with a great many even more exotic cars, some of which cost him well over a million bucks each.

I honestly admire him (he can well afford the hobby) because he keeps them all street legal and actually drives every one of them occasionally.

I've been in his "garage" and it's truly an awesome experience.

I know a guy who owns about a half dozen rare Ferraris, along with a great many even more exotic cars, some of which cost him well over a million bucks each.

I honestly admire him (he can well afford the hobby) because he keeps them all street legal and actually drives every one of them occasionally.

I've been in his "garage" and it's truly an awesome experience.

If he wouldn't care you should post a pic! That would be something to see.

Sorry, I can't do that. Most definitely something to see, but he guards his privacy very closely and it's easy to understand why. The vehicles in his "garage" are collectively worth several tens of millions.

Loving the replies - Sounds like there are some fellow car enthusiasts in here - of all types!

First and foremost my goals are to get to FIRE with a paid off house - still about $370K* away.... then we'll see how the money plays out and whether or not the "Rari" dreams come true.

While I hope I do reach Fat FIRE, I still have some headwinds - mainly the sustainability of SATISFYING employment at my current salary level over the next 12 years.

That salary level is not likely as high as that of some of you fine folks, but my role is one that allows me to work from home and has minimal stress (from a Megacorp) perspective.

So if I were to lose this role, it would be difficult to replicate with similar working conditions. I would likely take a much lower paying job in order to maintain the same "employment lifestyle" - I don't think I can go back to a 9-5 "in the office" job.

Looking forward to learning from all you over the next decade+

* Equivalent to about 1 - 1.75 "Raris"

Sorry, I can't do that. Most definitely something to see, but he guards his privacy very closely and it's easy to understand why.

There's a nice couple that lives a few houses down from me who are swimming in loot. He has somewhere around half a dozen really nice cars.

A couple of weeks ago, while they were wintering in the south, their housecleaner tipped off her ne'er-do-well son and his friends and they broke in to try to steal them. Neighbors had to come back early and start dealing with the investigation and determine what else in their house had been stolen. :(

So, if you're going to get a Rari, get some truly bitchin' home security to go with it.

Without an autobahn nearby, all those nice cars are a waste of money.

Dunno. There's more to owning a nice car beyond speed. I know car guys who hardly drive their cars at all, if ever. They have a showroom/museum style garages and just like to show them off.

You also reach a point where the 'waste of money' is offset by the investment side of the car appreciating. A neighbor is a Bugatti guy. Always has 3 or 4 of them; buys, holds and eventually sells for a hefty profit...like a hundred grand profit.

Having said that, in my working days, I'd leave early and over time learned where the Staties were/weren't. Rt 95 South, 5:30AM, no cars ahead of me, no one behind me; long downhill view of anyone on the road. I'd bring my big Mercedes up to 100-120 mph for a few miles. I'd turn off the radio just to listen to how effortlessly it'd go. Even at 100, I'd kick it and it would just accelerate soooo smoothly.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming for that gorgeous car. When the time comes, then see if you still want it, still want to spend the money for it, and of course if you can afford it.
But, your DW may have other ideas. I no longer want a sports car, but I do have my eyes on a few higher end bicycles ranging from $3000 to $7500. I can easily afford it, but my other half doesn't agree. So, I mosey along with the current very nice bicycle I have. When the time comes, hopefully your wife will have a different perspective!

The love that was requited only once

Loving the replies - Sounds like there are some fellow car enthusiasts in here - of all types!

I don't want to create a misapprehension. At Casa Mdlerth, that Porsche was a six sigma outlier from an otherwise remarkably unremarkable fleet of rustbuckets.

Our horseless carriage SOP for decades was buy "common stock" (Fords & Toyotas & Chryslers) and hold forever.

Not that I wouldn't have loved owning lots of bada$$ rides, but we weren't budgeted for them. Also, my kids and automotive mayhem enjoyed a mutual attraction. There was no way a nice car was going to stay nice.

I don't want to create a misapprehension. At Casa Mdlerth, that Porsche was a six sigma outlier from an otherwise remarkably unremarkable fleet of rustbuckets.

Our horseless carriage SOP for decades was buy "common stock" (Fords & Toyotas & Chryslers) and hold forever.

Not that I wouldn't have loved owning lots of bada$$ rides, but we weren't budgeted for them. Also, my kids and automotive mayhem enjoyed a mutual attraction. There was no way a nice car was going to stay nice.

Removing a car seat, and seeing what’s been lurking underneath is downright scary!

We do have an Odyssey in the family as well, so my rides are generally spared :)

When I was a "kid" on WS, I had a boss who showed up at the office with a new Ferrari. I was in awe and had to tell him so. I remember him telling me that if I worked hard and had another good year, He might go out and buy another one.

Our family car is a Masarati Ghibli. It is the only vehicle I have ever truly fallen in love with. It has a Ferrari engine (Ferrari manufactured, Maserati spec). And rides like a dream. I am often surprised going down I45 and look down an am pushing 100mph and feel like 55. The dealer told me it would top out at 165mph but I have only had it to 130 until the pucker factor kicked in and I had to get off the accelerator. It aint cheap but it is amazing.

Our family car is a Masarati Ghibli. It is the only vehicle I have ever truly fallen in love with. It has a Ferrari engine (Ferrari manufactured, Maserati spec). And rides like a dream. I am often surprised going down I45 and look down an am pushing 100mph and feel like 55. The dealer told me it would top out at 165mph but I have only had it to 130 until the pucker factor kicked in and I had to get off the accelerator. It aint cheap but it is amazing.
I'm mildly jealous. The beautiful Ghibli is one of my (many) daydream cars. Also the Lambo Espada. But as I said in a previous post, there is so little that one can actually do with driving that class of car that I don't lust to own one. The "museum" argument is maybe one I could buy but I don't have enough space to own a car museum. :(

Re 130mph in the Ghibli, I have found that the bodies of those intuitively styled cars (like my 289 Cobra) generate a lot of lift at high speeds. Above about 120 the Cobra felt like it was just touching a tire to the track every once in a while. I also had a Benz 300SEL 6.3 that got a little weird at about that same speed. I would expect the Ghibli to create a similar pucker factor long before absolute top speed was reached. Be careful out there!

Edit/Update: Just to be clear I am talking about speed experiments on a nice safe race track, not on the street. Not criticizing anyone in particular, but going really fast on the street in uncontrolled circumstances and among untrained drivers is truly moving into Darwin Award territory IMO.

Last edited:
Re 130mph in the Ghibli, I have found that the bodies of those intuitively styled cars (like my 289 Cobra) generate a lot of lift at high speeds. Above about 120 the Cobra felt like it was just touching a tire to the track every once in a while. I also had a Benz 300SEL 6.3 that got a little weird at about that same speed. I would expect the Ghibli to create a similar pucker factor long before absolute top speed was reached. Be careful out there!

Somewhat off topic, but 20+ years ago I got a new mustang. Once I was on a straight-as-an-arrow interstate, and another car zipped past me. I thought that if there was a speed trap ahead, that guy would get the ticket, so decided to see what my new car could do. I got up to about 105, definitely felt the car get "lighter," but also got scared and immediately slowed down. Never mind a ticket, but a blow-out, or just losing control of the car at that speed, would no doubt have been a death sentence. It was an adrenaline rush, but one I never repeated.

Back
Top Bottom