Retired and Just Enrolled in ACA .. $0 Premium. Question.

It is correct. I did not talk about hitting the cliff, because I never reach it. I mentioned it because I just aware of it being around $75 - $77K. I'm aware it's not a cliff until 2024 :)

Yeah well, the subsidy is really that. I pay 0. And after re-checking, the subsidy is $1695 (not $1630), so bigger :)

And that's for just you? I noticed you never mentioned a spouse.

It is correct. I did not talk about hitting the cliff, because I never reach it. I mentioned it because I just aware of it being around $75 - $77K. I'm aware it's not a cliff until 2024 :)

Yeah well, the subsidy is really that. I pay 0. And after re-checking, the subsidy is $1695 (not $1630), so bigger :)

You said
Pretty much aware that if you go over $75K - $77K, there's no subsidy.
Why? There is no subsidy cliff, and at the earliest it will return in 2026 (not 2024). This is the part I was questioning.

He does in the a post a couple above yours. He has a dear wife (DW).
OK, I see he did finally mention that in the middle of that last post. That would explain the a much bigger subsidy for the given income.

62k income minus standard deduction maybe?
ACA uses MAGI, so the standard deduction is not subtracted to get MAGI. In fact, MAGI includes both taxable and non-taxable SS benefits as well.

Yes, it is my zipcode. I guess we're cheap. In my Eligibility document that has been approved, it is clearly written that my estimated salary is $62K for 2023.
And I have a subsidy of $1695 (which I thought was $1630). Premium is $1534. So, I recalculated and even at $68K salary, I still pay $0.00.
By the way, this is for me and DW.

I'm attaching screenshot so you guys can see. I was able to reach Aetna yesterday, and they said I do not have to input my card or pay anything at $0.00.

When I did the ACA years ago the limit to get best subsidy and to not be eligible for medicaid, was about $20000, here in Virginia, for a single person. I'm totally blown away that now the band for 0 subsidy is about 63k for married. Wow! But my question is, on the screenshot of your quote what is the monthly income of $1695 mean? That would be only a ann income of 20340, which, of course would do that max subsidy...So, where did 1695 come from?

When I did the ACA years ago the limit to get best subsidy and to not be eligible for medicaid, was about $20000, here in Virginia, for a single person. I'm totally blown away that now the band for 0 subsidy is about 63k for married. Wow! But my question is, on the screenshot of your quote what is the monthly income of $1695 mean? That would be only a ann income of 20340, which, of course would do that max subsidy...So, where did 1695 come from?
$1695 is his max monthly credit, but he chose to apply only part to his bronze plan (not standard silver plan).

Oh duh... thanks....I still am very surprised the subsidy is so high, that I completely missed where he has said 100 times the subsidy was 1695....and I made that an income! ha!

Are you using Medicaid? And is the coverage good? Providers?

Oh duh... thanks....I still am very surprised the subsidy is so high, that I completely missed where he has said 100 times the subsidy was 1695....and I made that an income! ha!
Subsidy has improved since 2021. But I would probably pick a Silver plan instead to fully utilize the credit and a better coverage if possible.

So do premiums. And age makes a difference. I don't know cyber's age or household size, so I was using some different ages for test purposes. Besides, only a few dollars is close to $0. The reason my premium would be so much higher is due to single person with $100,000 MAGI despite retiring in June with a maxed out 457B. Oh well, COBRA will do for this year, and I should get a better subsidy next year.

Exactly what I did. I retired in January, but final paycheck and unused personal time check plus my monthly withdrawals from the retirement account put me over the limit for ACA. COBRA to the rescue.

Back
Top Bottom