retired docs-- locums in Australia/NZ?

lightspeed

Recycles dryer sheets
Any retired docs out there with experience doing locum tenems in Australia or NZ? Seriously considering it, and would like to hear first-hand experience. What agency did you use and would you recommend it?

No personal experience with this, but I've seen the ads.

It sounds kind of exciting, but I'm in internal medicine and would wonder about whether you are truly expected to be a jack-of-all-trades in some remote area. Haven't done that since my moonlighting days. What specialty are you in?

Let me know if you get any more information.

I'm in radiation oncology. I know they have at least one center in NZ and multiple centers in Australia. I was actually contacted by a recruiter specifically for rad onc... but I don't think I will be ready to do it for about 3 years, which is when I plan transitioning into early retirement.

I am not a doctor - but am retired in Indonesia where I meet a lot of Aussies and New Zealanders. The one thing you should carefully consider is the exchange rate between countries. Australia took a really big hit on its dollar when during the start of the economic crisis. (about -30% against the US dollar). It has improved a little, but I am guessing the wages are a lot lower when you factor in the exchange rate.

Personally, I really like the people from New Zealand that I have met. the Aussies seem to have a chip on their shoulder against Americans. The whole country (which is huge) only has a bit more than 10 million people. I don't know if they are jealous of the US or what. Many have an accent that is impossible to understand when a few of them get together and start chatting. Australia is an okay place to visit - but I wouldn't want to live there.

I am not a doctor - but am retired in Indonesia where I meet a lot of Aussies and New Zealanders. The one thing you should carefully consider is the exchange rate between countries. Australia took a really big hit on its dollar when during the start of the economic crisis. (about -30% against the US dollar). It has improved a little, but I am guessing the wages are a lot lower when you factor in the exchange rate.

Personally, I really like the people from New Zealand that I have met. the Aussies seem to have a chip on their shoulder against Americans. The whole country (which is huge) only has a bit more than 10 million people. I don't know if they are jealous of the US or what. Many have an accent that is impossible to understand when a few of them get together and start chatting. Australia is an okay place to visit - but I wouldn't want to live there.

Hobo, you seem a bit confused - the population of Australia is actually estimated to be 21 million. Also I think you might be a bit confused about Australians not liking Americans - my experience as an Australian is we like the US and Americans a lot - however previous political decisions made by the US that impacted Australians did create an anti-American sentiment. When I was in Australia recently the whole nation was excited about the election of Obama and what it would mean for the world.

Also you have to remember that the type of people who travel to Indonesia are not representative of Australians as a whole. You are talking surfer dudes who probably indulge in recreational drugs which is part of the reason they are there. They are there because the cost of living is cheap and they can avoid having to get a job.

However, you are spot on about the exchange rate as I doubt anyone could go there and make big money. Also I would suspect most of these locum opportunities are likely to be remote locations which would be outside of the comfort zone of many Australians, let alone a foreigner.

No worries, mate. Seems like I have met a few bad apples, that's all. America needs to keep all the goodwill it can get right now - sorry if I offended.:angel:

I guess a better way to say it is that Australia is not a mirror image of the US. Many Americans, primarily those who do not travel much, think many places like Australia are virtually the same as the US.

Honestly, I was surprised at how much the Australian dialect differ from the US. On a one to one conversation I can understand what is being said. But if three or four Australians are holding a conversation, I have a hard time even understanding the general concept of what is being talked about.

PS, interesting to find out someone from Australia is following this forum.

PS, interesting to find out someone from Australia is following this forum.

.....and here's another one sport! :greetings10:

Yeah, a bunch of Aussies nattering can be a bit disconcerting and hard to follow. But's that's also true for an Aussie trying to follow a Yankee gabfest, or a German gabfest, or an Irish gabfest or (and even the British have a hard time with this one) a Yorkshire 'conversation' :LOL:

But we love's ya's all (even the Kiwi's), we're an easy bunch to get along with really :angel:

Actually, the similarities between the US and Oz are far more prevalent than the differences (I've travelled in the US a number of times), apart from the fact we drive on the correct side of the road and our banknotes are easy to differentiate between denominations ;)

Any retired docs out there with experience doing locum tenems in Australia or NZ? Seriously considering it, and would like to hear first-hand experience. What agency did you use and would you recommend it?

I have done locums in both Australia (including Tasmania) and New Zealand (total of 5 times 6 months). We loved it and are certainly thinking of doing it again.

We went all 5 times with Global Medical Staffing out of Utah. They took care of everything and did it very well. I am sure that you could make all the arrangements yourself and probably safe some money. But the way Global took care of everything, hassle free, was ceratinly worth it. They are VERY competent and very friendly.

Cheers, and Good ON ya

William J. LeMaire OB & GYN

Last edited by a moderator:
We went all 5 times with Global Medical Staffing out of Utah. They took care of everything and did it very well. I am sure that you could make all the arrangements yourself and probably safe some money. But the way Global took care of everything, hassle free, was ceratinly worth it. They are VERY competent and very friendly.

Cheers, and Good ON ya

William J. LeMaire OB & GYN

That's great. How long were your locums? Did you take school aged kids? I'm considering going when my kids are in 8th and 7th grades.... partly because I'm not happy with our school options where we live.

Each time we went for 6 months without school age kids. They were already grown and independent. However we made friends there with outher locums who had school age kids and there seemed to be no problem. Of course I can not vouch for the quality of the schools.

It seems to me that making the choice of going to do locums in Australia or New Zealand based (even if only partly) on school options is not the best motivation for doing it.

Cheers.

Each time we went for 6 months without school age kids. They were already grown and independent. However we made friends there with outher locums who had school age kids and there seemed to be no problem. Of course I can not vouch for the quality of the schools.

It seems to me that making the choice of going to do locums in Australia or New Zealand based (even if only partly) on school options is not the best motivation for doing it.

Cheers.

We would not go because of schools there, but because we don't have good options for our kids here during middle school. The kids might go to school while we are there, but we would plan on pretty much home schooling them to get them ready for high school when we get back. Also, middle school timing works out with my time plan for entering semi-retirement.

Back
Top Bottom