Retirement, according to Leacock

mark500

Recycles dryer sheets
Why are we such fools - such tragic fools? How strange it is, our little procession of life. The child says, 'when I am a big boy'. But what is that? the big boy says, 'when I grow up'. And then, grown up, he says, 'when I get married'. But to be married, what is that after all? The thought changes to, 'when I retire'. And then when retirement comes, he looks back over the landscape traversed; a cold wind seems to sweep over it; somehow he has missed it all, and it is gone. Life, we learn too late, is in the living, in the tissue of every day and hour.

-Stephen Leacock

I believe he was referring to non-early retirement.

Explain

Depressing? Explain.

I think Leacock was saying that, throughout his life, he was always looking forward to being something or somewhere else in the future. When when he got there, he found himself looking forward to the next event or place.
Then one day, he found himself retired, looked back, and realized that he should have had the insight or taken the time to enjoy the present, and not persistently looking forward to some future event/place.

Depressing? Explain.

I think Leacock was saying that, throughout his life, he was always looking forward to being something or somewhere else in the future. When when he got there, he found himself looking forward to the next event or place.
Then one day, he found himself retired, looked back, and realized that he should have had the insight or taken the time to enjoy the present, and not persistently looking forward to some future event/place.

I agree with your thoughts here. It seems our culture is one future thinking; that is, we are taught to believe that a future event will somehow be a reward for current tribulations. For example, retirement. We are taught that working for 40 years in a dead end job where we squander our time doing meanlingless things for someone else's benefit will be rewarded by living the live of lesure in our Golden Years.

We are a goal driven society. Our fixation on sports, the Market, w*rk, and the phases of our lives all are focused on meeting goals. Schools drum into us the need to make good grades so you can get into college. College drives us to graduation and perhaps higher or more specialized degrees with the "goal" of making more money so we can live a good life (goal) and retire in comfort (goal). Business, especially public ones, are very goal driven. The Market drives short term goals that frequently conflict with the long term needs of the business.

We are taught that our rewards will happen at a future date; graduation, a good job, marriage, children, promotions, kid's graduation, and retirement. We are so busy "doing it" we forget to stop and smell the roses along the way.

I believe the message is live each day to the fullest; you don't know if it will be your last.

Depressing? Explain.

I gathered that he had not enjoyed the present (aka the journey itself) - not appreciating the "here and now"...well, I just don't get it. I plan/save for the future, work towards promotions, but, good heavens, I am having a blast now - and would have it no other way. I know plenty of people who are dissatisfied with the present (despite the fact they are really ok), and I find this depressing (pathetic, maybe?) Life is a roller coaster of a journey...hang on & enjoy the ride! Not each day is fabulous, but if you learn from the lousy/sad/horrific/bad ones, the mediocre/ok/nice/great/wonderful ones are even better!

I agree with your interpretation. While some people can enjoy the present and plan/look forward to their future, those are not the people he's talking to/about. I certainly know people who live almost only for the future and in the present they try to buy happiness with possessions without living much of a life (true friends, family, life experiences, contributions to society, etc.). Those are the people, there are millions of them, Leacock is talking to IMO...

Back
Top Bottom