Retirement Budget -- Poll only for those currently retired.

How much is your retirement budget?

• <$15,000/year

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • $15,000 - 30,000/year

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • $30,001 - 45,000/year

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • $45,001 - 60,000/year

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • $60,001 - 75,000/year

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • $75,001 - 90,000/year

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • greater than $90,001

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
I didn't vote since I am not retired.
My 2006 retirement budget computation based on current spending is I need $40k to $65k depending on where I would live (TN to NJ, median $44k) including all taxes, capital expenses and house maintenance.
PN

My Dream said:
I can't seem to add myself to the poll, does that mean it's over?

Yes, I ended it so it wouldn't drag out forever.

HaHa said:
Two public school teachers with 25 years or so in at a fairly good district would easily hit this figure, even without any SWR from savings!

Where I live decidedly ordinary people are buying million dollar house with a mortgage, and having plenty spendable left over to drive nice cars, eat $20/# steaks, etc.

If you can possibly stand it, get onto the public teat!

ha

Aha! So that explains it :D I struggle to understand when I see large suburban areas where every single home is in the $500k to $1MM range...Maybe a lot of these people are house poor but you would never guess it based on appearences. There seems to be a lot of prosperity out there. I used to work with a fairly successful bunch of professional types yet very few lived at that level, so who the heck are all these big spenders?

Back on topic, we're not retired yet but I anticipate we'll fall in the upper end of the most popular range. It's hard to imagine spending much less given our projected health insurance costs.

My wife and I are one of those over $90k expenses. We quit working (not retired), in 2005 at 50 and 49 yo, so we pay our own health care ($20,000 deductible policy) and will have to foot the bill until medicare (hopefully) kicks in at 65. We enjoy a nice comfortable lifestyle, maintain a home base and find that traveling during the winter months in a motorhome is quite pleasant.

For those who dream about retiring early, the secret to save enough $$$$ to do so. Either LBYM or earn a lot of money. WE DID BOTH!!!

P.S.
No monthly payments as all assets paid for!
Pensions will begin at age 62!
For those of you that have your health care, provided for in retirement, you are very fortunate.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom