Retirement Budgeting... how did it go for you?

More curious as to how your initial plan adjusted with reality. Did you spend more/less in these areas then planned and how it trended over time in RE.

Ok, based on the above, We were spending about $48,000 before we retired. After we are spending about $52,000. However, that is 12 years later, and includes $10-$15 k a year on travel.

Interestingly I keep hearing the word “tracking” as opposed to budgeting. I suppose that is lose budgeting?? For you trackers, do you have a little alarm that goes off when your overall expenses start approaching/passing your projected annual spend? Eg. If say your a 4% withdrawal guy and that is $40K/yr, do you just adjust as you go? I suppose my anal nature likes to see/compare how my plan played out in reality so I can make/track adjustments needed. OTOH, if your history of spending never/rarely triggers an alarm on your annual planned spend, then flying by the seat of your pants may work just fine.

When we were doing retirement planning, we projected our expenses to make sure we feel comfortable retiring.

Once we retired, we just spend. We track our expenses twice a year. DH have used Quicken for many years so he just runs a expense report that we look at.

To us, budgeting seems to imply limits which we don't have. We don't have little alarms. But at our 6 month "check up", we check if we need to make any adjustments. So far, we don't. We have spent more than we projected. But our portfolio has grown much much more.

To us, tracking means stay flexible, see if anything needs to be done.

We still have two teens at home (age 17 and 13). We don't budget per se, but have been loosely tracking in Mint for almost a year now. We are at about 70k in annual spending, including property taxes. That also includes some large one-off expenses like braces for DD (not covered by insurance) and some furnishings for the house we bought last year. And two new touring bikes for me and DH. We only spent around $1600/year on clothing for all of us -- mostly shoes and outerwear. We get a lot of stuff at thrift stores and lower-cost places like Old Navy. Total food spending was about 10k, including groceries and household stuff like TP and shampoo, and eating out. I try to be mindful of buying stuff on sale but we don't really scrimp and save on our food budget -- eat a lot of high quality meats, fresh fruit and veg, and have a couple bottles of wine a week (we like the cheap stuff...). \

I can't fathom spending 10k/year on clothing for one person. Where do you put it all?

We’ve only been retired for about 20 months, but in 2017 and through June of 2018, our total spending was about as expected, slightly more than when we were w*rking. Categories are quite different though. Higher spend on travel ($40K) and healthcare because we have to pay for our own insurance now. Lower spend on car maintenance and commuting. Slightly higher spend on entertainment since we have more time to do fun things. Overall it is pretty close to expected/budgeted spending. I just look at it a couple of times per year. So far we haven’t needed to adjust anything.

You're not going to reign in a SAHM clothing budget and 10k per person travel is too light IMHO

That said I no longer budget unless you count putting 1k a month into travel account budgeting. Pension check hits, bills autodraft out, I just spend until it's gone. Eventually I'll hit SSA & RMD :)

Last edited:
In the early years after my retirement, my budget was virtually identical to my working years. I just wanted to maintain my standard of living. As time went on (9 yrs) and I realized my plan was working, my travel budget and been increasing.

Planned Budget (this is my preferred budget which has plenty of fat, but is equal to or less than my current working budget)

My Clothing: $4K/yr (honestly, I could cut this sucker back... T-shirt and jeans are fine by me)
DW Clothing: $6K/yr (she is spending around $10K now, SAHM. 1 area I need to reign in)
Entertainment: $12,000/yr (this is dinners out, movies)
Groceries: $13,200/yr (food for the house inc entertainment at home, no liquor)
Liquor: $6K/yr (what can I say, we enjoy good wine and a good cocktail!)
My mad $ $2600/yr (may not be enough as I may want to pursue golf more regularly)
DW mad $: $7K/yr (tennis/haircuts/beauty stuff/friend lunches)
Other Misc: $5K/yr (cleaning supplies/misc home goods)
Travel: $20K/yr

So how did you start out in some of these spending areas and how did it play out over a number of years in RE?

Here is our experience from year one to year seven, of our joint FIRE:

Clothing: Prior to FIRE we spent @$4,000 a year, primarily me, due to, I now realize, my non-stop need for the mental pick-me-up that wearing new clothes into the office delivered. All those compliments from my co-workers apparently helped me slog through yet another week of cr#p. Since we FIRE'd, we dropped it to $2,000 and have no problems whatsoever staying within budget. I now loath shopping, much preferring to be outside doing something active, and thus do it only when I absolutely have to.

Entertainment /Restaurants: $7,000 a year, about the same pre vs post FIRE. The difference between before-FIRE and now is that instead of purchasing infrequent but expensive theater tickets, plus weekly fine dining meals prior to FIRE, in FIRE we now either wait for Goldstar to announce a show has been discounted (because we've been to so many shows over the years, we don't really have any 'must sees' left on our list), or we attend nearby university productions which are generally terrific while also being ridiculously inexpensive at between $10-$15 a ticket. Plus, we thoroughly enjoy the new 'fine fast casual' restaurants popping up everywhere. In exchange for being willing to line up and order our meal at the counter, we can experience fab food for a pittance of what a formal sit down restaurant would charge. Literally can't get enough of this growing new dining category, which almost always includes a great list of wines and craft beers as well.

Groceries: About $8,000 a year prior to FIRE, now just $5,000 a year for the entire seven year run in FIRE. We relied on crappy, yet expensive, convenience foods prior to FIRE, but now cook almost entirely from scratch in FIRE. So we now spend less and eat better, a win win. (As just one small example, last night I made my own pizza here at home - marinara sauce with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts and mozzarella. It was great!)

We place wine under 'Entertainment' above, with about $1,000 per year of our Entertainment budget going toward wine. We try to limit our consumption to just the weekends, averaging between $15 and $35 per bottle, depending.

Hobbies: Virtually nothing prior to FIRE in that we didn't have time to do much more than get to the gym or run around our local trails. In FIRE we started off with a budget of $3600 a year, but recently lowered it to $3000 because we've now settled into a pattern of relatively inexpensive hobbies: running, hiking, biking, backpacking,and kayaking, plus groups for photography and language study. Hours and hours of weekly enjoyment cumulatively, but a relatively small outlay of $ now that we are geared-up.

Travel: This is the biggest change in FIRE. We went from a spend of about $10,000 a year prior to FIRE, to our currently outlay of around $25,000, which we expect to rise yet again once pensions and SS start rolling in in a few years. During our first few years in FIRE we traveled extensively, but not necessarily in the most luxurious of manners. What is starting to change is that we're spending slightly less time away from home, particularly now that we've realized our dream of living within view of the ocean, but we want to be more comfortable when we do travel. Not sure if that's a normal progression, or a reflection of our being seven years older that when we first FIRE'd?

Last edited:
So how did you start out in some of these spending areas and how did it play out over a number of years in RE?

I never cared much for budgeting, either prior to, or during retirement. We spend what is necessary to live a fun-filled life and stash the rest away in the PMMF for future fun.

If I have enough to live a happy life, I have no need to budget at all.

Planned Budget (this is my preferred budget which has plenty of fat, but is equal to or less than my current working budget)

My Clothing: $4K/yr (honestly, I could cut this sucker back... T-shirt and jeans are fine by me)
DW Clothing: $6K/yr (she is spending around $10K now, SAHM. 1 area I need to reign in)
My mad $ $2600/yr (may not be enough as I may want to pursue golf more regularly)

Clothing: We usually wear shorts or jeans and a top from Costco for $10 -$15 per piece. Evening wear for me would be black jeans and maybe a $20 top with jewelry. $10K would clothe us both for the rest of this lifetime and part of the next one.

Groceries - I stockpile loss leaders and closeouts plus shop at Costco, ethnic markets, outlet stores, etc. so we can eat pretty healthy for about $120 a month per person.

Entertainment: I spend $500 - $1000 a year on an assortment of memberships in parks, gardens, museums, senior clubs, theater groups, winery passports and seat filler subscriptions. Those combined with library passes, free concerts and festivals, Entertainment book dining coupons, Goldstar, etc. make most of what we do during the year free or cheap.

Liquor: We usually buy a case of beer at Costco and a couple of bottles of wine at Grocery outlet for around $32 total.

Household: I make my own cleaning supplies and get a lot of stuff for free / discounted with store reward programs, product reviews, gift cards from credit card churning, etc.

Travel - I put one international trip in the budget for the year to visit family. Then we usually do day trips or inexpensive trips like drive to Lake Tahoe and stay in a friend's timeshare, camp at Yosemite or take an Expedia package trip to Hawaii so travel isn't a big budget item for us.

Last edited:
how did it go for you?

We don't keep records any more, but I have a link on my desktop to this old ramble:

:LOL:

STUFF WE DON'T SPEND MONEY ON

Life Insurance
New Clothing
Haircuts
Hair styling
Pedicures/manicures
Beauty products
Movies
Concerts
Sporting events
Restaurants (more than $8 meal)
Books
Music
"New" Computers (since 2002)... all refurb or reclaim
Software... (Twice in lifetime.. total $30) all other "free"
Car maintenance labor... all DIY except 3 times for major repairs
Brand vs. Generic foods
Premium meat or fish
Financial Advisor
Lawyer
Chiro/Massage/Tan etc.
Tatoos...
New Home Decor.. (all resale)
Cars.. since 1998...
Car Wash and wax... since 1989
Premium TV channels
New Bikes or Exercise equipment
Sporting goods
Cruises (so far)
Group trips
Flying (Airlines)
Lodging (more than 3 star)
Premium Gasoline
Tools (already have more than I'll ever use, including welders etc.)
Housekeeper
Carpet Cleaning
Window/Gutter/Furnace etc. Cleaning... all DIY
Premium booze/wine...
Jewelry
Organic foods
Brand sodas
Painting, remodeling
Weapons
Subscriptions (AARP only)
Gambling
Banking or Credit Card Fees
Appliance or Electonics insurance
Eye Glasses... except for $1readers (since 2000... maybe eye test this year.)
Pets... (except bird feed)
Healthcare maintenance... exercise equipment, pool, advisor etc... (all included in our senior community membership. (no fees)
Pest control... DIY
Only "fee for" is Activities Association (FL).. $6/year

.... for starters...

I have never budgeted (either in retirement or beforehand) but I do keep close track of my spending, by category. If my spending gets to be too much, I instinctively cut back and delay purchases wherever I can and that takes care of it for me.

Here are my spending averages over the 5 years from 2012-2017. I was retired all of those years and lived alone.

DW Clothing: $6K/yr (she is spending around $10K now, SAHM. 1 area I need to reign in) Average $496/year; not married

Entertainment: $12,000/yr (this is dinners out, movies) Average $3154/year, eating every lunch out and some dinners occasionally. No fast food, movies, concerts, or shows.

Groceries: $13,200/yr (food for the house inc entertainment at home, no liquor) Average $2,716/year.

Liquor: $6K/yr (what can I say, we enjoy good wine and a good cocktail!) I don't drink, so $0/year.

Not sure what to include in "mad money". Fitness average $1000/yr. Video games average $477/year. Miscellaneous average $3172/year. Cleaning supplies included in groceries, see above.

Travel: $20K/yr Don't like to travel! Average $183/year due to one hurricane evacuation in 2012.

Basically I determined my expected retirement spending by starting with how much I spent before. From that I subtracted expenses that would be less (like clothing for formal work meetings), and added new expenses that would be more (like entertainment). The resulting estimate was just about exactly right for the first few years from 2010-2014, within $200/year on average. Then I started spending more since I had some good fortune and also SS kicked in, so I therefore had more to spend.

...I have been fortunate to make a good income over the years that allowed me to sock away a good bit of dough, but also allow the budget to basically slide over the last 4 - 5 yrs, particularly with my DW's discretionary expenditures...

Dawgman, I hear you about your lovely DW’s tastes and habits. I manage our expenses and could live happily on about 1/3 of what we spend. She, however, isn’t built that way. Some things are more important than money, like I give her stability and she makes my life more exciting. Since we want to keep each other, we came up with a system 10 years ago that we agree is fair and simple. Here it is in case helpful:

1. All income goes into a shared Joint checking account. All Joint bills are paid through it. I keep one month’s expenses in it as a cash flow buffer.

2. The key: We each have our OWN checking and savings accounts. Every other week, we each get an EQUAL amount of Mad Money automatically transferred to our respective checking accounts, which we call our Personal Allocations. Neither of us is accountable to the other for spending this money. We also agree that, when it’s gone, it’s gone. Since we get the same amounts to blow, regardless of who earns what, it is entirely fair.

If one of us wants something big for Personal use that we haven’t saved up for, we take a loan from Joint funds and set up enough automatic monthly fixed amount payments back to Joint to pay it off over time. That’s really rare though.

If there is some expense that is charged to Joint but that seems more Personal, if it’s small I usually decide to not argue and just leave it in Joint. If it’s bigger and was obviously for her own consumption, I slide money over from her personal account to reimburse it and then wait to see if she wants to confront me about it, which is rare, because it’s usually obviously for her consumption.

Over time, we’ve come to respect the system and we hardly ever argue about money. We also spend less money over all, because, God love her, her tendency to damage to our budget is contained this way, and we are sort of forced to talk through bigger Joint wants and needs together. Unlike you, we include our clothing in our Personal Allocations/Mad Money.

There’s no need to budget for the Personal Mad Money accounts. Me being me, and her being her, I park 50% of mine in my savings account while she hardly ever has anything in her savings account. That’s ok, though she’s lately become envious I have enough there to buy myself a new car if I wanted to, which I don’t, but which is small bug in the system I didn’t anticipate. I bought us a new TV this year to show her I’m not totally hogging my own stash, which seemed to help.

I budget the Joint Account using YNAB, which is a friendly to use program connected to that account. I actually enjoy using it every few days to see how the month is going.

Good luck and YMMV!

Last edited:
I bought us a new TV this year to show her I’m not totally hogging my own stash, which seemed to help.

I can't believe you let her watch YOUR TV!!;)

I am toying with a system that has some of your approach, taking baby steps to not overwhelm the Princess all at once! :cool: I let the horse run wild outside the barn for a number of years so I take some responsibility here. She/we have agreed to do some personal assessment of what is both important to each of us separately and jointly in terms of "stuff" and activities which cost $$. I think we will get there. I have 18 months to turn the ship around!

We had tracked our expenses for well over a decade before retiring, so I had a very good idea of what our base expenses would be, and was able to create a reasonable estimate of what we might spend. Savings and some taxes went away, insurance expenses changed, and we added a bunch of extra for travel, dining and hobbies.

At retirement, we were able to spend about as much as I had as pre-tax income, so I wasn’t worried about any tight budget to stick to. I just continued tracking to see whether anything was out of whack compared to expectations. It wasn’t, so we just kept going as we were.

I still track because it’s easy with Quicken and I like to know where our money is going. I simply have a target amount I think it’s reasonable to spend. I have fine expenses detail, but in general all I look at is the very broad categories what we are spending on basic living expenses, travel, gifting, and special expenses like buying computers, camera gear, etc.

Over the years I’ve increased our planned budget to meet what we want. Much of it is discretionary. We also naturally tend to find more cost effective ways to pay for routine things and get rid of expenses we perceive as unnecessary.

We don’t match our withdrawals to our budget or vice versa. Over the past several years we have had higher after-tax income than expenses, so there is extra to splurge if we so choose.

Last edited:
Interestingly I keep hearing the word “tracking” as opposed to budgeting. I suppose that is lose budgeting?? For you trackers, do you have a little alarm that goes off when your overall expenses start approaching/passing your projected annual spend? Eg. If say your a 4% withdrawal guy and that is $40K/yr, do you just adjust as you go? I suppose my anal nature likes to see/compare how my plan played out in reality so I can make/track adjustments needed. OTOH, if your history of spending never/rarely triggers an alarm on your annual planned spend, then flying by the seat of your pants may work just fine.

Basically yes.

Tracking has me sometimes concluding that the “budget” should be increased as we are clearly spending more on X.

A target budget in our case is strictly for planning purposes. I can look at our retirement assets and see that the annual income available is more than what we’ll likely spend and conclude we’re good, carry on.

If our income drops below the target budget, then we’ll have to decide what action to take: cut back on travel? delay a major purchase!

Let me explain in more granular detail.
We don't fund the "Large item" expense category on a monthly basis (unlike the Short Term expense). Our goal is to fund the LI category with excess monies we don't spend yearly vs. the budget and any other "unexpected" monies which come our way.
Thus conceptually, we DO/WILL withdraw the monies yearly and fund this account.
This concept goes back to a non majority concept in this forum.
Keeping a separate account outside the portfolio for unused monies leftover.

Does my response make it clearer?

Yep same here. I prefer to accumulate funds that we might use to buy a new car outside of the retirement portfolio so that we can buy a new car when we want to no matter if the markets take a sudden dive.

For us really large expenses like a new car are extra-budget. If we have the extra funds set aside to spend we do, otherwise we wait. If we have a large amount set aside we might even splurge on something fancy.

Last edited:
We've never been able to budget, more like I, as DW has no interest in finances at all, something that will have to change eventually.

One of my first posts here probably was which budgeting software was best, I even purchased a copy of Quicken, but to no avail, it never stuck. I am envious of the posters who can pull up what they spent on groceries, gasoline and utilities for the past 5 years.:D

We're still w*rking with a planned ESR for me in 5 years and total retirement for DW. I only have a rough outline for our retirement spend that I put together 4 years ago and looking at it now it is definitely a work in progress :LOL:

I had estimated the following monthly expenses:

Cable/Cell phone $200 This should tighten up as kids move out

Power bill 350 We're on equal pay and it is 245 now, I expect/hope to downsize saving on this and also less when kids move out

Nat Gas 160 Equal pay right now at 84 should decrease with downsize

Water/Sewer 130 This has already increased to $155 and will probably go higher with the growth in the area, more for water and sewer.

Property taxes 335 this is already $150 a year under budget, would/should decrease with a downsize.

Home/Car ins 325 just above what we're paying now, should drop when kids get their own insurance.

Car payment/expense/gas 750 This would be an accrual for vehicle replacement, repairs and gasoline use.

Grocery/out to eat 1000 Just a guess, we are eating out now, way too much and with paying for the kids, it is probably higher than this.

Misc travel,clothes,fitness, medical 1000 Definitely underfunded, don't spend a lot on clothes, even working, but would like to add more to travel and medical shouldn't be too bad as long as I can stay part time at current job with full bene's :angel:

Home maint 350 Accrual for home items needing replacement

Fudge factor 450 To make up for going over budget on the above

Taxes 750 Estimating 15% in taxes State/Federal

This was also under the assumption that either the house would be paid off or there would be enough over the saving goal to pay in full.

Looks like we need to hammer out some more details since we are looking at 5 years out.
Good thing is current saving is almost to the goal we had for the end of 2021 with the FIRE goal of 2023 :dance:

Yep same here. I prefer to accumulate funds that we might use to buy a new car outside of the retirement portfolio so that we can buy a new car when we want to no matter if the markets take a sudden dive.

For us really large expenses like a new car are extra-budget. If we have the extra funds set aside to spend we do, otherwise we wait. If we have a large amount set aside we might even splurge on something fancy.

Yes I know your concept. I got my idea from you.:greetings10:

Additionally my side (non market) reason is that since the monies (however fungible) are not in the markets anymore, if I use it, I would not count it as part of my WR% for that year. It works for me psychologically, or at least I hope it will.

While I have estimated budgets for both pre- and post-retirement, they're more for informational purposes. I track, annually, what I spend, and what I save. Every paycheck, I calculate my anticipated expenses for the next two weeks, and before the paycheck hits, submit a scheduled transfer to my savings account of the excess funds. That way, I'm not tempted to spend the 'extra'. I retirement, I'll track spending a bit more closely, as I'm trying to keep spending to a level that more or less insures that we wont' run out of money, keeping a 95% FIRECalc success rate intact.

While I have estimated budgets for both pre- and post-retirement, they're more for informational purposes. I track, annually, what I spend, and what I save. Every paycheck, I calculate my anticipated expenses for the next two weeks, and before the paycheck hits, submit a scheduled transfer to my savings account of the excess funds. That way, I'm not tempted to spend the 'extra'. I retirement, I'll track spending a bit more closely, as I'm trying to keep spending to a level that more or less insures that we wont' run out of money, keeping a 95% FIRECalc success rate intact.

This is how I planned things out back in my working days. It was more of a back-of-the-envelope budget. I usually extended it out to the next 2 paychecks to make sure I covered any lumpy expense I might need to carry forward any surplus into. When I still had a mortgage I had most of my bills at the turn of the month, what I called my "big 3" of mortgage, co-op maintenance, and monthly train pass. After I paid off the mortgage, and my pay was at its peak, one paycheck covered the "big 2" and all the rest of my monthly expenses, enabling me to basically invest the second biweekly paycheck.

Since I retired, I get paid only once a month, so I have to more carefully plan out the old back-of-the-envelope calculation. I now do an entire spreadsheet because I sometimes have to carry forward 2 months of surpluses to cover the lumpier expenses. I still manage to reinvest some of the monthly (and quarterly) dividends, though.

I do an annual net worth calculation, that's good enough for me. I don't care how much I've spent, just how much I have left.

We built a budget the first year of retirement and continue to update it annually. We retired at 58 and the biggest budget item, as well as the biggest surprise has been health care at $30,000 per year. Our budget is detailed and most expense are overestimated by about 5% to be conservative. We add a $12,000 contingency to the annual budget and we have a separate time phased 25 year budget for those big lumpy expenses (autos, roof replacement, daughter’s wedding).

We will not draw pensions until 65 (2 more years). DW will take SS at 67, I will take at 70. We both draw corporate pensions at 65 which will cover 55% of our current spending. This year we will spend about 2.5% of our financial portfolio. The dividend and interest income from the portfolio generates more than enough cash to fund the spending so our portfolio has continued to grow. Our total spending is about 80% of our pre retirement spending level. The major savings was selling our second home (Florida condo). We replaced the condo with a travel trailer and motor home which allows us choices of warm locations during the winter.

This year I constructed a 30 year revenue projection for the budget. The primary purpose was to look at required minimum distributions from tax deferred accounts in our portfolio and the future tax implications. Even with conservative return projections for the tax deferred accounts, the projection showed we needed to begin drawing down tax deferred accounts now in order to lower the projected taxes on large forced distributions after age 70. I’ll take advantage of today’s lower tax rates figuring the federal government will be raising rates in the 2020’s when we are forced to take RMD’s.

We don’t agonize if we go over budget in a month. The budget is a guideline and does make us think about some exceptional spending items, which is good. Fortunately our total spending over the past 5 years has run about 4-5% under budget each year even with the obscene medical insurance and pharmaceutical cost increases. Budgeting for us has been a worthwhile exercise in that it has made us comfortable with our retirement lifestyle and spending supporting it.

We've never really budgeted nor tracked (except one year.) Our yearly WDR is less than our permissible FireCalc 99% portfolio-survival. At the end of the year, we always have some money left, so we figure we're good.

We live rather frugally on most things (clothes, utilities, personal care, "toys", etc.) but splurge on living in Paradise - paradise "tax" is typically estimated at one third over average US living. I think we do better than that, but it is expensive. We also keep a place on the mainland.

If OP needs to make any cutbacks in order to RE, it will be most important to be "equally yoked" with SO. We have been blessed by being frugal by nature. We would each much rather cut back on any extravagances than go back to w*rk. The key is that we both look at ER the same way. YMMV

You know, most people here are more likely than not, LBYM types. That will hold over into retirement. On a bad expense year, you will adjust your spending-then loosen up a bit when things are good. Having the time to seriously shop expenses saves money each month, IMO.

I had two very PT side jobs lined up, just in case, when I semi retired. Have let them both go over the past 5 years because the extra $ was not worth the time and hassle factor. And we continue to coast along nicely without that $.

Seems to me the biggest influence in your items will be how you choose to fill your time in retirement.
- If you're going to spend a lot going to black-tie charity events, then you're likely going to be spending quite a bit on clothing; however, if you're spending your time volunteering then you're likely not going to be wearing expensive clothes.

Some people fill their time shopping, going out with friends, traveling, picking up expensive hobbies and some don't.

I spend my time volunteering and hiking, so my expenses went way way down. My buddy took up flying and bought a plane.. his expenses skyrocketed.

Back
Top Bottom