Retirement Funds

Nords, I'd love to get it done now, but I've got so much going on (same as everybody else, I'm sure) through the end of the year, I just don't see how I can do it until after the holidays. For one thing, the dentist I originally saw, who told me what needed, isnt' a participant in my new insurance, so he won't be the one doing the work. Originally, I thought all I needed was to have the tooth either filled or pulled, so figured a one-time, quick, not-too-expensive office visit. However, now it seems that the particular location of this tooth would cause other problems if it were simply pulled...messing up alignment of other teeth, chewing problems...etc.

Also..this dentist, who actually is an AF Reservist dentist who did my retirement dental physical in 2010, told me he doesn't do root canals on molars (??) but referred me to his buddy who does. Turns out neither of them are on my upcoming new dental plan. So......I'm gonna try & stick it out till after January 8th, when I'll be back in town from visiting family in NC after Christmas. If I'm lucky enough to last that long, the gamble will have paid off in less out of pocket $$ for me via the insurance. If not, then I guess I could find myself digging through the yellow pages looking for somebody to put me out of my dental misery, and paying full price. :(

Last edited:
If I'm lucky enough to last that long, the gamble will have paid off in less out of pocket $$ for me via the insurance. If not, then I guess I could find myself digging through the yellow pages looking for somebody to put me out of my dental misery, and paying full price. :(
A couple of months ago the personal-finance bloggers all seemed to be writing about how they regretted putting off their dental work (impacted wisdom teeth, root canals, anything above a basic cleaning) because prices turned out to be so cheap.

Or because the pain turned out to be so intense... for example,
My Trip to the Dentist without Insurance

$1K per crown.
9 lowers, 4 uppers.
Getting old sucks.
But better than yanking all of them.

Back
Top Bottom