Retiring soon - Cobra VS ACA Bronze

All of our same doctors too.

Being BCBS, I would think the ACA package would be in-Network across the country if we travel as long as it is BCBS or should I just expect coverage only in Arizona? I need to check on this.

Are you sure about any of the above? I'm in a very similar situation but at end of COBRA coverage, and I'm checking the BCBS ACA plans and their doctor network is very different from the COBRA BCBS plan I'm on now.

I'm going to post my situation in a separate thread soon btw.

The answer is - it depends. if you have no health challenges then ACA may be a lot less expensive. But if you are facing a health crisis and are not already on an ACA policy, COBRA may be less expensive. BUT COBRA is only for a limited time.

Are you sure about any of the above? I'm in a very similar situation but at end of COBRA coverage, and I'm checking the BCBS ACA plans and their doctor network is very different from the COBRA BCBS plan I'm on now.

Everyone needs to thoroughly research their own BCBS offerings in their exact area (I.e. zip code/county). BCBS coverages vary widely around the country. Remember, BCBS is a cooperation between multiple BCBS companies nationwide. Each one is free to set its own policies offered.

In my county, the local BCBS company (Highmark) offers a few very limited network ACA Plans, but they also offer more expensive ACA Plans that now offer a near nationwide coverage (their are exceptions where it doesn’t offer coverage). The nationwide option was not available in 2021, but was added for 2022. It is subject to change again in 2023.

Research your options carefully and don’t assume all BCBS plans are the same from place to place.

When I retired at 53 I made the decision to self pay all coverage except for hospitalization. Would negotiate a cash price for doctor visits up front always for much much less than the rate they charge your insurance. Between co pays, deductibles and premium savings it was about a $4000 savings each year over full coverage

But I have access to drugs from overseas and even cheaper doctora there for simple stuff. YMMV

If you are in New York State, check out nystateofhealth.gov

The “Essential Plan” is not an ACA plan, and a great option if your household taxable income is below the threshold.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-07-12 21-42-28.png
    Screenshot at 2022-07-12 21-42-28.png
    264 KB · Views: 31

Similar situation. Looking at pulling the plug soon. Currently have BCBS. Looked into ACA options for when COBRA runs out. Of the 147 plans I could choose from my current doctor took none of them.

I found the HSA plan was actually more cost effective that a Sliver or Bronze even if I had to fully pay my deductible. It’s worth doing the calculation. My Dr wasn’t on many plans but was on the HSA on in Florida.

If you are both healthy and don't expect some large medical expense ACA Bronze with subsidies is going to be WAY cheaper than COBRA which is always very expensive. Guess it depends on your income level to see if its worth it.

If you are both healthy and don't expect some large medical expense ACA Bronze with subsidies is going to be WAY cheaper than COBRA which is always very expensive. Guess it depends on your income level to see if its worth it.

Actually if you have high cost healthcare sometimes an HSA makes a lot of sense. The compound cost of my monthly + deductible are less than a Gold or Platinum, once my deductible is met everything is covered for the rest of the year.

Back
Top Bottom