Reykjavik airport?

PageTwo

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all,

I'm planning a summer trip to Germany and, researching flights, a good choice (pricewise) seems to be to fly Icelandair through Reykjavic. The only gotcha is that the layover is relatively short - 1h 25m.

Does anyone know how busy that airport is, and whether that is enough time to make a connection when it's the first port of entry into Europe from the US, requiring passport control, going through security again, etc.? I know I wouldn't even dream of booking it if it were Heathrow :cool:

Thanks for any insights!

Transfers between N America and Europe is pretty much what they do there. I've flown through there many times with short layovers with no problem. It's just a matter of walking from one gate to the next, there are people there to guide you, and they are pretty well organized.

Transfers between N America and Europe is pretty much what they do there.

+1
Icelandair has decades of experience doing this. They hope you'll stop off in Iceland for a few days on either your going or returning trip, but you don't have to (and I think most don't). I wouldn't worry about it, but give them a phone call if it will ease your mind.

We flew in and out of there this summer. My impression was that it's a "small regional" international airport. That said, if you wanted to stay around, Reykjavik is a beautiful place. Hotel Borg is a great international hotel.

Do they still have the program where you can fly to iceland, stay a day or two, and then continue on to Europe ?
We did that a few years ago. Took a three day layover on a flight home from Bergen Norway. Rented AirBnBs and a car, drove the south side of the island sightseeing as far East as the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon. We did not have the time to take the full drive that encircles the island, but still saw a lot of nature and had a good time.

I like Iceland very much. My first visit was many years ago, in January on business. Wind chill at times was -55°F but I still enjoyed a couple of weeks there. Half a dozen visits on my own since then, and probably more to come.

If you'll spend more than a day or two, you definitely want to rent a car and explore. It's easy to take one of those "Golden Circle" tours on a bus, but so much nicer to drive around on your own (and very easy to do).

The last couple of visits I've stayed at the Hotel Odinsve which is centrally located and reasonably priced.

Reykjavik airport is small. We had a short transfer time to Europe a few years ago and had no problems making the connecting flight.

On the way back, we did a one night layover. It was a lot of fun, but too short. I look forward to going back for at least a few days.

It is one of my favorite vacation spots. If you have time stay a few days.

Hi all,

I'm planning a summer trip to Germany and, researching flights, a good choice (pricewise) seems to be to fly Icelandair through Reykjavic. The only gotcha is that the layover is relatively short - 1h 25m.

Does anyone know how busy that airport is, and whether that is enough time to make a connection when it's the first port of entry into Europe from the US, requiring passport control, going through security again, etc.? I know I wouldn't even dream of booking it if it were Heathrow :cool:

Thanks for any insights!

I did a short transfer there a few years ago, a 1:30 connection to a flight to Oslo. Had no issues. The airport is very small compared to other international airports, so it's pretty easy to get from one gate to another. You won't have to walk long distance or take a train.

Downside of its small size is that it can get crowded at gates because many people are crammed in a relatively small space waiting for their flights, but the airport is pretty efficient at moving things along.

Thanks for all the comments and reassurances. Staying in Iceland for a day or two is also intriguing - will look into it!

Loved Iceland.

Attachments

• DSC_1318fb.jpg
    DSC_1318fb.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1621fb.jpg
    DSC_1621fb.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1866Seljalandsfossfb.jpg
    DSC_1866Seljalandsfossfb.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 31
Back