Rezum Treatment.

Spokane2303

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm scheduled to have a Rezum treatment on 4/15/2022.

66 yrs old, 80 gram prostate.

Lots of tests completed over last 13 months. No CA, just an older guy's BPH! No median lobe enlargement.

Flomax (tamsulosin) worked for 15 yrs, then stopped about a year ago and was doubled. That helped! Finasteride, last 7 months, improved condition; but, side effects, including ED, unacceptable.

Given choice of TURP or Rezum.

After 6 months of research and review, chose Rezum as the best, least potential side effects, option..

Will post my procedure and post procedure experience..

Are your symptoms worse during the day or night? Or the same?

Interested to hear how this procedure works out for you. I have tried over the counter remedies with little effect, but over concern for side effects have stayed away from the traditional Rx treatments. Really considering Rezum or one of the other options but need to see what the urologist thinks. These BPM procedures do make me nervous.

Are your symptoms worse during the day or night? Or the same?

The reason I ask my question is, I'm up twice a night. I had a knee problem and was given a diuretic. I found if I take that diuretic when I get up, I don't have to get up at night at all! If I waited until noon, it didn't work. I told my doc just as a point of information, maybe a short term treatment if someone need to sleep well for a meeting or whatever. He ask if I wanted another prescription? His thinking is sleep is important and the diuretic has few side effects. I told him no, because I wasn't sure about side effects. He said, maybe just take it 2 or 3 times a week. I found it interesting and did enjoy the full nights sleep. I still have some and a second refill

I'm sure this is not for everyone, I'm on Fineseride and don't have any trouble urinating, but if you do, you may not want to be filling your bladder because you are taking Lasix.

My symptoms are always worse at nite! As the tamsulosin started to fail I found myself having to get up more and more at nite. It also took longer to start my stream and the stream was weak. I never felt that I was totally able to empty my bladder. It reached the point I was getting up 4-5x's per nite and was always hunting for a bathroom when away from home. When my MD doubled my tamsulosin, I went back to 2-3x's per nite with slow starts and weak stream. After a prostate biopsy, retrograde urethrogram and Cystocopy, I was offered finasteride, TURP or Rezum. I tried the finasteride first hoping meds alone would work.

The finasteride started to improve my flow at 12 weeks and I only had to get up 1-2x per nite. A follow up ultrasound of my bladder, post void, showed that I was finally emptying my bladder fully and no longer having 60 +/-mls or residual urine left..

However, the higher dose of tamsulosin made me tired, lightheaded, blurred my vision some, gave me lower back and side pain, reduce my semen volume and gave me occasional retrograde ejaculations. The finasteride gave me slight headaches, weight gain, 100% ED and a tender right breast with hardening under my nipple.

So, while the drug combo provided decent relief, the side effects are too unpleasant and I have decided to step up to the next level of treatment.. especially while my prostate size was still within the treatment size limits of the "minimally invasive" options.

I chose the Rezum treatment based upon extensive research. Just last December (2021), the 5-year long-term efficacy study on Rezum was published and that report solidified my selection.

I didn't find as many actual patient experiences as I'd hoped for of any of the minimally invasive options that weren't linked to urologist's and/or the surgical instrument manufacturers websites. So while I read these, I'm always a little cautious of these being cherry picked (screened) by the sources.

I'll be happy to have it over with; but, I'm not looking forward to the first 4-6 weeks, post procedure, as this is reported to be an uncomfortable period when you start second guessing your selection of the Rezum procedure. My urologist bluntly told me that the first 2-4 weeks will be worse then when my BPH was the most troublesome. Sometime between 2-6 weeks I should start to see increasing relief; and, that from 4+weeks on, I should experience constant improvement up to 6 months out as my body fully absorbs the destroyed prostate tissue from the procedure. Then it should provide at least 4-5 yrs or more of relief (they are not sure yet as the procedure was only approved in 2015). Then, if needed, I can have the procedure repeated or move on to a "new" or existing more invasive option as the Rezum treatment doesn't extensively damage the prostate and prevent future options.

So, I'll provide weekly firsthand updates of my journey down the rabbit hole!

I'm curious if you researched Prostate Artery Embolization as one of your alternatives?

Yes, it is one of the procedures I looked into.

It requires a skilled interventional radiologist and there is a slight risk of blocking a blood vessel that leads to the bladder or bowel; but, a skilled radiologist should be able to avoid these. Similar to Rezum, it takes up to 6 months for the full effect to take place.

The procedure is longer then the simple Rezum procedure (a few hours vs a few minutes); but, the recovery sounds less painful and bothersome.

Urologists seem to be a little biased against it (takes $$$$ out of their pockets) and finding the "skilled" provider along with insurer to cover it is more difficult.

Durability is quoted at 2-4 yrs; but, as with the Rezum treatment, they are both newer procedures and time will tell!

All said and done, I didn't have access to a PAE from the VA or my Medicare provider, so I only looked at it as a potential "minimally invasive" option. I chose to have my Rezum treatment done at the VA's Rezum clinic as they have two highly experienced, high volume, providers and I wanted to go with their experience.

I (69 years old) have been on doxazosin for several years for urinary problems, but my issues continue to gradually worsen. PCP just switched me to tamsulosin and finasteride. Waiting to see if these help.

He mentioned the UroLift procedure as a possible surgical option if medication is unable to resolve the problem. I haven’t looked much into other surgical options yet, but Rezum looks like a another potentially acceptable solution.

Procedure day!

Prostate nerve blocked with 4-5 shots. Urethra numbed with lidocaine gel.

12 ea - 9 sec steam injections. I have a long prostate!

Nerve block shots caused little pain.
Rezum treatment shots caused some "shot" pain. The steam injection part (9 secs ea) caused a burning/stinging sensation and made it feel like I had to pee. Not too bad, just uncomfortable! I was given two "stress balls" to squeeze during the procedure and they did divert some of my concentration away from the pain!

Sent home with Foley catheter that I can remove in 9 days.

Total procedure, in-and-out, 55 minutes. Actual procedure time 5 +/- mins.

Today I feel a little tender and will stay quiet to recover. Tomorrow I'll take a few 15 min walks.

Hoping for the best!

Last edited:
Best of luck. Keep us updated. Sounds like it would be more painful than you suggest.

What’s it like sleeping with a Foley catheter? You don’t have to get up to pee I guess [emoji16]

I think the pain experienced is related to the skill of the surgeon in placing the prostate nerve block.

I've had two prostate biopsy's in the past (both with nerve blocks) and one was almost painless, the other was excruciating! Same procedure, same nerve block, different surgeons!

My surgeon does Rezum full time and has for over 3 yrs. She mentioned they've come a long way in modifying and upgrading the placement of the prostate nerve block to minimize pain.

I think the pain experienced is related to the skill of the surgeon in placing the prostate nerve block.

I've had two prostate biopsies in the past (both with nerve blocks) and one was almost painless, the other was excruciating!

Interesting, and certainly true. Never heard of a prostate nerve block before. I've had four prostate biopsies. First two with nothing, and both extremely uncomfortable but not actually what I would call painful. Two others were done under light anesthesia so of course I felt nothing.

I also had a traditional TURP which was very interesting. Under light anesthesia, but I had to stay in the hospital overnight. Next morning when the catheter was removed and I urinated for the first time, the pain was extreme. My fault, as I had declined all the painkillers they offered me beforehand, which would have made it much better. I just didn't realize what that part would be like.

No side effects from the TURP, and I'm very glad I did it.

No need for adult diapers after these procedures in case of accident?

I believe all the "minimally invasive" procedure have minimal to no incontinence problems.

As a quick follow up to my first nite after the procedure (21 hrs ago)

Slept well! The mild-moderate burning pain from procedure disappeared overnight. My body is tolerating the catheter well and I have a large "overnight" collection bag and a smaller "daytime" collection bag that straps around my calf.

Cleaned up a little crusty blood around the exit point of the catheter, dressed and enjoying a light breakfast sitting in my favorite chair.

May I ask what antibiotics you are on, if any, and how long you will be on them?

No antibiotics unless I develop a UTI. No pain medication other then Advil.

I just flush and wash the catheter bags daily, clean the exit point of my catheter 2x's a day with mild soap and warm water, drink at least 8 ozs of water every 2 hours, eat foods to keep everything soft and easy, and take it easy for the next few days.

I can walk 15-30 mins at a time starting today. No heavy lifting (1 gallon milk container considered heavy!) and I can take a daily shower starting tomorrow.

No alcohol, coffee, tea with caffeine, sodas or highly spiced food for a week!

Life is good!

Last edited:
Day 2 - Post Procedure

No pain, just the inconvenience of the Foley catheter. It limits quick movements to some degree. No issues with my body rejecting the catheter. No bladder spasms, etc...

No problem sleeping at nite using the large Foley bag. Still seeing a lot of blood and small clots in the collected urine. Looks worse then it feels.

Today I get to take my first shower, yea!

Still no coffee, wine or tea! I miss my morning coffee most of all!

Day 2 - Post Procedure

No pain, just the inconvenience of the Foley catheter. It limits quick movements to some degree. No issues with my body rejecting the catheter. No bladder spasms, etc...

No problem sleeping at nite using the large Foley bag. Still seeing a lot of blood and small clots in the collected urine. Looks worse then it feels.

Today I get to take my first shower, yea!

Still no coffee, wine or tea! I miss my morning coffee most of all!

Why the coffee and alcohol restrictions?

I had the procedure a year ago in April. I had just turned 60 at the time. I saw slow improvement and now ten months out I am much improved. My hesitancy or difficulty starting a stream is pretty much gone. My strength of stream is better but I’m not writing my name in the snow. If you know what I mean. I still have to get up and use the bathroom about every 3-4 hours but it used to be every couple of hours. I can drive my kids to school (a 45 minute drive) and not have to find a bathroom before driving home. It has significantly improved my lifestyle and am happy I had it done.

Nice hearing a positive outcome!

Thanks so much....

So much of what you find on the internet is negative; but, my guess is that those are the people who are most likely to post.

Two of my friends, who also need to take the next step in dealing with their BPH, are waiting to see how the Rezum treatment turns out for me.

The main thing is to be patient. You most likely will get worse before you get better. It took several months before I saw much improvement. It can be a long process. At ten months post procedure I’m significantly better and glad to have done it.

Day 4 - Post procedure

Nothing much new to comment on.

Getting tired of the Foley catheter. Still having varying levels of cloudy (blood) urine with occasional small blood clots.

Otherwise, just waiting to remove the catheter in 5 more days!

Day 4 - Post procedure

Nothing much new to comment on.

Getting tired of the Foley catheter. Still having varying levels of cloudy (blood) urine with occasional small blood clots.

Otherwise, just waiting to remove the catheter in 5 more days!

The catheter definitely seems like the least fun part of it

Back
Top Bottom