Rick Steves Guidebooks $5

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Edited to add: I appear to have been too late. Most of the books are already out of stock.

FWIW, Rick Steves is having a guide book blowout - $5 for any guidebook. Hard copy only. Until 8/9 unless supplies run out earlier.

Note that many of his guidebooks will be updated later this year for 2021. And it's only guide books, not his other books on things like European art and the more general Europe Through the Back Door.

He's still paying much of his staff at least part-time wages through this entire mess. My guess is that many of them are kept busy doing guidebook updates that might have been put off for another year or so.

Last edited:
Cool. Too bad everything is sold out. I'll check back later in the week to see if they restock.

For our last trip we just got the guidebooks at the library. Then for travel we bought the ebook version. Those work well on an iPhone and iPad. Beats lugging around a paperback or cutting up the sections.

I buy mine used from Alibris and then cut them up.
I don't the hotels/restaurants info.
And, I am pretty that most museums are still in the same location.

I've been able to pick up a handful at library book sales, but my usual strategy is to checkout and consult that latest edition from the library for planning. But, for the actual trip, I will checkout an older edition to take with me. I'm pretty careful, so the books are returned in decent shape and I figure that most people only want the current edition anyway. The main advantage to owning a hard copy is being able to use highlighters and make notes directly in the book. I never thought of stripping out the sections that I don't use (lodging & entertainments.) Good idea. Don't forget to consult his website for updates to your guidebooks. They really do a good job of keeping their information current.

Back
Top Bottom