RIP John Backus

HFWR said:
I would give Frank, and another unknown named Jimi something, credit for using the wah-pedal as an oscillator, instead of just "wah-wah-wah-wah"...

A bit fuzzy on the electronics, but a wah pedal is basically a bandpass filter, and there's a sweet spot, matching the frequency of the string/note range you're playing, which results in a really kewl sound, particularly when used in conjunction with a distortion pedal, or a Marshall cranked to 11... :p

Yes, it is a bandpass filter. And when they move the pedal up and down, the frequency peak moves up and down. The sweeping of the freq as you play gives that 'wah' burst, or it can be held steady to make some higher harmonic or lower frequency more pronounced. And, if a bandpass filter is set to be very, very peaky (high-Q), it will oscillate on it's own.

And yep, even more fun with those fuzz boxes and Marshalls.

-ERD50

Wow you guys sure do remember a lot of details. Fortran was only part of my computer class. I think its also what convinced me not to go into computers. Although I really didnt want to be tied down to a computer all day. Seems it was my destiny anyway.

Back
Top Bottom