RIP - Maury Wills

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maury Wills dead at 89.

Wills put up excellent numbers in 12 seasons with the Dodgers. His finest season came in 1962, when Wills hit .299/.343/.373, with 104 stolen bases. That performance earned Wills the MVP award. Wills' 104 steals ranks 15th on the all-time single-season list. Lou Brock, Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson are the only players since Wills to exceed 100 stolen bases in a single season.

https://www.aol.com/news/maury-wills-dodgers-star-1962-174338796.html

Once upon a time, he and Lou Brock made the game exciting swiping over 100 bases in a single season. In today's baseball, I'm waiting for when stolen bases are not allowed to speed up the game :(.

RIP - Maury Wills

Base running is an under appreciated part of the game. A run per game can give you some wins over the season.

Mr. Wills was arguably the best baserunner of them all. If someone may be better, they'll compare him to Maury Wills.

He contributed to a terrific Dodgers team in the 60's.

Most of his best years were past when I started watching baseball, and heplayed for the hated (as a New York fan) Dodgers, but I was still a fan of his.

As for the best baserunner of them all, Rickey Henderson might want to have a word :). Since he is my age, I remember Rickey Henderson's career much more vividly.

Now there's a name I haven't thought of in many years (decades). May he RIP.

RIP.
New rules next year should increase the stolen base numbers.

Stealing home. Who would think of it....

I do have to agree that Ricky Henderson deserves the nod for the best base stealer of all time.

There was something about Maury Wills stealing 100 bases back before statistics were a big deal. I'll bet he didn't get a bonus in his contract for reaching that number either. He just did his job to help his team win. And, they did. Koufax and Drysdale didn't hurt either. But, Maury certainly pulled his weight on the team.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom