Road trip to New England

World Traveler

Recycles dryer sheets
The DW and I want to plan a RV trip in Sep from TX. We want to know any suggestions for stops along the way. I’ve been a lot of places around the world hence the name but there are are a lot of places I haven’t seen in our great country. We want to visit Vermont,NH,Maine.

Best foliage in the north country (0-50 miles south of the Canadian border) is typically around Columbus Day.

We went as far as the roads would go through New.England and up to Nova.Scotia. Our favorite place was Camden, Maine, a port city and home to a bunch of large sailboats.

Google “TripAdvisor.com NH attractions” and look for the 15 best things to do result. You can also look for attractions at the town level. You definitely want to go to the white mountains in NH and Acadia in ME.

We liked the Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park area (but that's been 45 years ago.) YMMV

I had Arcadia NP on the list. Canada might be a possibility too. RV made by Canadians so cold nights no problem.

We live near the center of Maine, everywhere around here is nice.

We have over 3,000 miles of coast line and tons of islands that you can enjoy.

Are you into hiking? Kayaking? Museums?

I really enjoy the Common Ground Fair every September, Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair

It was this fair that really hooked my wife on living in Maine. ;)

Fun town right on the NH, ME border: Portsmouth. Good restaurants, brew pubs. Good walkability. We enjoyed a couple nights there. Would go back.

There's a very similar thread around here somewhere from about a week ago.

+1 to Rt. 100 -> Rt. 302 -> Kancamagus Highway.

+1 to Portsmouth

Historic, beautiful, and wealthy: Woodstock, VT

Incredible views: White Mountains National Forest, Green Mountain National Forest, Maine coast

Several mountains you can drive up - Okemo (Ludlow, VT), Mt. Mansfield (Stowe, VT), Mt. Washington (White Mtns), but it's better to take a ride up Mt. Washington - your car will take a beating in wear on the brakes and possible overheating on the way down. I expect there are other mountains you can drive down.

Vermont is Craft Beer Heaven - there are dozens of breweries to visit.

Northern New England has it all, IMHO. I love it!

OP, did you mean stops along the way between TX to New England?

DW had a college friend stop by here (SW Va) a few years ago in her RV. They were from CA, and had timed their trip so they would follow peak leaf season south from New England to Georgia.

OP, did you mean stops along the way between TX to New England?

DW had a college friend stop by here (SW Va) a few years ago in her RV. They were from CA, and had timed their trip so they would follow peak leaf season south from New England to Georgia.

Mainly New England but we have to go back and would probably go South.I've never been to VT or NH and we are looking forward to it. rt 100 and 302 looks pretty good. DW inherited land in VA (Laurel Fork)close to the Blue Ridge Parkway so we might head that way.

I should have put this on the Travel thread and I would have found the same topic imoldernu pointed out.

We liked the Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park area (but that's been 45 years ago.) YMMV

+1. (At least it was still great 10 years ago. :) ) We did whale watching there, that was super cool.

We took a fall cruise from New York to Halifax 6 or 7 years ago. One of the ports which we stopped at was Bar Harbor. We picked up a trolley in town and toured Acadia. Very nice area and an enjoyable day. Our 2nd favorite port was Halifax which was a very nice coastal town where we did some whale watching. Didn't see any whales but we enjoyed walking the local parks.

I

Add Portland to your list. A beautiful city on Casco Bay, home to great restaurants, craft breweries and beautiful views. If you travel up the coast of Maine on your way to Bar Harbor, stop at Kennebunkport/Ogunquit, then on to Portland, then Boothbay Harbor, then Camden Rockport, then Bar Harbor. Peak foliage is usually Columbus Day weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We live near the center of Maine, everywhere around here is nice.

We have over 3,000 miles of coast line and tons of islands that you can enjoy.

Are you into hiking? Kayaking? Museums?

I really enjoy the Common Ground Fair every September, Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair

It was this fair that really hooked my wife on living in Maine. ;)

A little off topic (as usual): We loved Maine but that was in Summer (which we calculated to be about June 15 to August 15. :LOL: But seriously, what is it like to live there in winter? I've heard horror stories about fuel oil costs, but would personally worry more about getting around in the snow. Thanks!

Hi,

DH, our kids and I have taken at least ten road trips to ME (from AR) to visit DH's family in Maine and Massachusetts. Tonight, I see several ideas of places to visit we never tried.

En route to Maine, we have spent time in Williamsburg/Jamestown, Washington, DC, Vermont & Boston. We have also gone the Ohio route and spent time in Cincinnati to sight see.

DH and I met in Portland, ME (1979) so that is always a stop. St John's Inn on Congress Street is a favorite place to stay. It is a very cool inn in a seedy area - great pizza across the street at the Villa.

We like to visit Bar Harbor, Camden, Freeport, Wiscasset, etc. while visiting ME.

Have fun and report back. I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Last edited:
If you are up for a bit of a thrill, drive to the top of Mt Washington in NH. Its an exciting ride and great view from the summit which has recorded the highest wind speed in north america.

If you are up for a bit of a thrill, drive to the top of Mt Washington in NH. Its an exciting ride and great view from the summit which has recorded the highest wind speed in north america.

Thanks for providing the flashback. DH's parents drove us up there a few times. It was a wonderful drive. MIL liked to tell us about seeing a bear eating blueberries by the Highway.

Sitting on the front porch at the Mount Washington Inn/Resort is memorable.

[Wear a jacket. Not so long ago, I ran across photos of us taking that jaunt. DH, kids and I all in summer clothes and looking quite chilled.]

Walking through parts of the hotel, including the wine cellar, was fun. Hope DH and I stay a couple nights there in the future.....

Fun memories. Thanks again.

Better than driving, take a ride in their specially-geared vehicle and spare your brakes and [whatever might be strained when the car overheats]. It's a punishing ride for a car, not to mention harrowing.

But it's fabulous! The view is incomparable. Be prepared for crazy weather. Mt. Washington has its own weather system, and although it might be a beautiful fall day in the mid-70s down below, it could easily be snowing and windy on top. Really.

Back
Top Bottom