Robo Advisors vs. 60/40 AA with index funds

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to figure out if the Robo Advisors (Schwab, Wealthfront, etc.) would be a better choice than a simple 60/40 or 40/20/60 AA using index funds. This would be for a person who is not a sophisticated investor like those in this group. I am looking for an academic study done by an impartial 3rd party who has nothing to gain one way or the other.

Most of the studies I have seen are just comparisons of the features of the various robo advisors. They do not compare the robos to a simple 60/40 AA re-balanced every year for example.

Old Shooter ran an experiment with Schwab's robo portfolio a couple of years ago. Maybe he will chime in and report how it came out?

It's hard to do a comparison since the robo advisor picks different AA percentages depending on how you answer the questions. I was hoping to find some academic research that might tell me - for example - how a person investing for a balance of growth and income in a Robo might compare with a 60/40 or 50/50 AA.

Last edited:
I was just solicited for this by my brokerage. They didn't provide enough info on exactly how it works and anything with "robo" in it sounds suspicious to me. Sure, relinquish control to a "robo." The idea sounded interesting but I didn't see how I could make any more money with it than without it.

Yes, bring on the additional information

I recall that the amount of cash you're forced to hold with each service varies. And of course you pick from their menu, not every available investment option.

https://www.advisorhub.com/schwab-defends-fully-disclosed-robo-cash-sweeps-targeted-in-class-action/

In this article a range of cash held in sweep accounts is mentioned.
https://www.advisorhub.com/schwab-hit-with-class-action-claim-over-robo-cash-sweeps/

All the more reason for a nuetral party to take a look at these services and compare them to more traditional things like a simple AA that includes index funds for domestic and foreigh stocks as well as bonds.

From the Advisor Hub website:
AdvisorHub aims to be the financial advisors’ advocate and voice, by providing a definitive source for breaking news, relevant products and services, critical compensation data, and a safe forum to share best practices and growth strategies.

I wonder if they are impartial given Schwab's impact on traditional financial advisors:confused:

If you can manage to do it, invest the funds minimum and compare head to head. If you elect to do this, make sure you capture your costs for opening and closing account.

Old Shooter ran an experiment with Schwab's robo portfolio a couple of years ago. Maybe he will chime in and report how it came out?
G'mornin' :)

Bottom line is if you're smart enough to consider a 60/40 or some other reasonable AA for your situation, I'd say go ahead and do it.

Probably they all work pretty much the same, but here's my experience with the initial Schwab freebie advisor looking at equities only:

It started with a questionnaire designed to ferret out your risk tolerance, objectives, age, etc. and after each run it proposed an allocation. The baseline assumption is that the robo is getting 100% of your stash. I wanted as much equity as possible and after several runs I finally got it to 95% equity and 5% cash. At that time (beginning 1/1/2015) it was obviously Schwab's strategy to make money on cash held in the "free" account. I don't think that is/was particularly evil; they have to make money to stay in business.

Long story short, they spread $100K across 11 Schwab index-type funds and one VG REIT. Completely ridiculous. I let it run until the end of September 2017. At that point its performance was fairly close to a 60/40 benchmark that I was running at the same time, but I was totally bored with all those tiny fund positions showing up on my investing reports. Now this was before the big fee wars, so I would expect that with lower fees the robo would have been even closer to being competitive. My overall conclusion was that the robo might be fine for a young and naïve investor -- certainly they could do worse -- but there was no magic there.

Other providers will have different portfolios. I would want to look at competing proposed portfolios before making a choice. I would be particularly wary of Fido possibly wanting to include stock pickers. I remember reading the Abby Johnson is skeptical of index funds and, of course, they make more money with the stock pickers. VG, I don't know; hopefully they would stick with index funds.

Back
Top Bottom