Rome Airport Transfer to Central Rome

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Planning last details of our upcoming trip to Italy and considering the transfer from Fiumincino Airport to central Rome. We don't have a problem waiting for an official taxi but some seem quite small. Between the two of us, we will have a total of two checked suitcases, one carry-on suitcase and two medium sized backpacks. Even for some pre-book transfers, unless I'm doing it wrong in the luggage calculation, some are suggesting we need a mini-van! Thought I'd ask about others' experience - good or bad - in getting to central Rome from the airport.

Both times we did it, the driver had BMWs, a 7 series and a 5 series. Plenty of room.

Thought I'd ask about others' experience - good or bad - in getting to central Rome from the airport.

My last experience there was 15+ years ago, and, IIRC, my travel buddy and I waited for about 30 minutes outside the airport before a taxi became available. I remember starting to get pretty antsy about it and contemplating various backup plans for getting to our hotel.

You've probably already looked into it, but I wonder if Uber or Lyft (or other ride sharing service) operates in Rome. Even if it were somewhat more expensive than taxi, I would go that route just for the additional certainty of a ride reservation.

I have used limousine services many times for airport transfers. It is important to get a quote up front but I have found them to be competitive with taxis for airport transfers. We used Blacklane (they have an app) in Paris in 2019 and transfer from Orly to around the Arc de Triomphe was about 60 EUR while a taxis is about 40 EUR. So you pay more but much lower stress. It's not a stretch limo, just a nice luxury car. I've looked into Blacklane recently for some US cities and they seem to have raised their prices significantly but it may be worth a check.

In Rome there is a fixed price for taxis from the airport to anywhere within the Aurelian walls which covers much of the central part of the city.

Someone mentioned Uber. At least in 2019 the basic Uber was illegal in Rome. The luxury service Uber has was legal but cost about twice what taxis charge AND we had a very high rate of drivers canceling on us in tourist areas when there were police around. It became obvious what was happening after a couple of days so we stopped using Uber and stuck with taxis instead. Things may have changed.

I have been to Rome several times and each time have used https://www.romecabs.com/

I have always been happy with them. Some trips we used them multiple times combing Rom hotel with cruise and airport transfer

Thanks for the comments. We opted to go with SUNTRANSFERS. They operate in a number of airports. They had very clear descriptions of luggage capacities and instead of asking me to give a time for pickup (how do I know how long it takes to go through Rome customs?) they go by your flight number and adjust if there are any delays. If we have special problems in customs, we let them know. Also, no surcharges for pickup times late in the day like we require. Will let folks know how it works out. If they are good, we'll likely use them for returning to the airport.

Uber website says it's available in Rome.

I just had good experiences with Uber in Spain.

In Madrid, taxis have a flat 30 Euro rate to the airport or vice versa.

I was south of Plaza Mayor, further from the airport. But it consistently showed around €20 and that is what I ended up paying, €19.01 plus €3 tip.

No surcharges for late hours or things like luggage loading.

It wasn't available in a smaller city like Toledo but I used it in Seville.

Definitely a couple Euro cheaper in Spain than taxis, even before luggage surcharges.

It's been about 10 years since I flew in or out of Rome. I was more budget conscious back then and I used shared shuttle rides, which you could book on Viator and it ran $15-20 each way.

Other option is Leonardo Express which takes you by train to Termini, the train station which is east of Piazza Navona and other popular areas. From there you can get a taxi or a bus to your hotel. So that might be a little cheaper than a taxi or Uber.

However, Termini is notorious for pickpockets so maybe worth paying more to skip it and adding time to your travel.

But there are some other ride share apps and a lot of them will call taxis for you with the ability to pay in app the predetermined price.

Last edited:
In all honesty, you're bringing way to many bags and it'll only hamper your trip assuming your going to more places than just Rome. Even with just one city you don't need that amount of clothes.

As a yearly Europe traveler, I see this all the time and I simply shake my head as I watch people struggle with it all. Lot's of people actually do Europe with just a single carry-on bag and a backpack. Personally, my wife and I take one large soft sided suitcase each plus a backpack as a carry-on and do just fine for 2 weeks.

Unless you really have a reason for it all, tell your wife/partner to downsize a bit. You'll thank me later.

In all honesty, you're bringing way to many bags and it'll only hamper your trip assuming your going to more places than just Rome. Even with just one city you don't need that amount of clothes.

As a yearly Europe traveler, I see this all the time and I simply shake my head as I watch people struggle with it all. Lot's of people actually do Europe with just a single carry-on bag and a backpack. Personally, my wife and I take one large soft sided suitcase each plus a backpack as a carry-on and do just fine for 2 weeks.

Unless you really have a reason for it all, tell your wife/partner to downsize a bit. You'll thank me later.
If I understand what you are saying, the only difference between what you and your wife take for two weeks and what we are taking for 18 days is one carry-on? Personally, I get by with one checked suitcase (not even the largest in our collection) and a backpack. A backpack is all I care to be bothered with in the cabin when there is one or more plane changes. Furthermore, it's not just clothes: for example, I require a large wedge pillow for my achalasia. I use an inflatable travel one but, even deflated, it takes about the same space and is more than the weight of a pair of jeans. DH likes to buy stuff to bring back to family members and that's where the carry-on comes in. FWIW, we are spending 10 nights in Rome and 6 in London so we aren't moving around much.

It's in Rome but there's a catch: only the expensive Uber Black is available apparently.

Thats what I meant by the luxury service. It cost more than taxis and the drivers avoided tourist areas where there was a police presence.

If I understand what you are saying, the only difference between what you and your wife take for two weeks and what we are taking for 18 days is one carry-on? Personally, I get by with one checked suitcase (not even the largest in our collection) and a backpack. A backpack is all I care to be bothered with in the cabin when there is one or more plane changes. Furthermore, it's not just clothes: for example, I require a large wedge pillow for my achalasia. I use an inflatable travel one but, even deflated, it takes about the same space and is more than the weight of a pair of jeans. DH likes to buy stuff to bring back to family members and that's where the carry-on comes in. FWIW, we are spending 10 nights in Rome and 6 in London so we aren't moving around much.

My partner likes to get gifts for those back home but we generally ship rather than take bigger suitcases

Taxi fee is apparently fixed to the centro storico, like €48.

So one option is to take the Lenardo Express which is €15-20 one way and then from the Termini, pay for a taxi by meter.

Look for white taxis with the city seals.

There may also be local taxi apps but there are accounts of people being short changed by taxis when paying fares by cash.

So one option is to take the Lenardo Express which is €15-20 one way and then from the Termini, pay for a taxi by meter.
I took the Leonardo Express into the city on my first trip to Rome. I think it's a reasonable option if you're staying near Termini station. But given the price for two train tickets, taking a taxi makes the most sense for two or more people. I use a "black" taxi driver that I met on my first trip to Rome courtesy of a taxi strike. My AirBnB host quickly arranged a ride for us back to the airport and I've used him on two subsequent trips.

Yeah for 2 or more people in a party, a taxi is better, though I don't know if the larger taxis, which are like big station wagons or SUVs with room for all the luggage would carry a premium.

Also there are often luggage surcharges so if you have 2 or more large suitcases as well as carryon rollers, I don't know if they'd charge more. Some cities charge per suitcase IIRC.

Last edited:

Wow some of you pack A LOT! Planning on taking my big suitcase (22") as I'm going for 3 weeks in November.

The fixed fare from Fiumicino Airport (FCO) to/from city center of Rome is now: € 50,00. Important to note that this only applies to taxis licensed by the City of Rome with "SPQR") painted on the side.

https://www.comune.roma.it/web-resources/cms/documents/Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf

As noted by Romer, you can also reserve a car service in advance. Here are a 2 others - all of which I have used and can recommend:

https://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/
https://www.rome-chauffeur.com/

Last edited:
Planning last details of our upcoming trip to Italy and considering the transfer from Fiumincino Airport to central Rome. We don't have a problem waiting for an official taxi but some seem quite small. Between the two of us, we will have a total of two checked suitcases, one carry-on suitcase and two medium sized backpacks. Even for some pre-book transfers, unless I'm doing it wrong in the luggage calculation, some are suggesting we need a mini-van! Thought I'd ask about others' experience - good or bad - in getting to central Rome from the airport.

There are a variety of taxis within the ranks at FCO that have larger capacity for luggage and up to 4-6 people.

So SUNTRANSFERS worked out fine for the trip in from the Rome airport. There was a walk to get to his parked car. To get back to the airport, we opted for a Rome taxi which was much cheaper and easy since we had the hotel call for it when we were ready to go. In London, I'd looked at the options and decided on a traditional black cab. Even in the late afternoon rush hour the price was comparable to other car services and there was no booking hassle and you get one just outside the arrivals terminal. Going back to the airport, we tried UberXL and that worked fine early on a Sunday morning.

The fixed fare from Fiumicino Airport (FCO) to/from city center of Rome is now: € 50,00. Important to note that this only applies to taxis licensed by the City of Rome with "SPQR") painted on the side.

https://www.comune.roma.it/web-resources/cms/documents/Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf

As noted by Romer, you can also reserve a car service in advance. Here are a 2 others - all of which I have used and can recommend:

https://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/
https://www.rome-chauffeur.com/

So nicer cleaner cars than taxis for more money, it seems.

First one says €55 for a car seating up to 3 people.

Back
Top Bottom