Ross Perot

I voted for him as well. I liked the charts/graphs and his common sense explanation of things.

I also saw him once at a Dickey's BBQ on Forest Lane in Dallas. It's close to the old EDS campus and across the street from Perot Systems. My old Megacorp had an office in the same general area and we would go to lunch there occasionally. Apparently, Perot had been eating lunch at that location a couple times per week since the early days of EDS.

It was fun watching him interact with the staff. He knew all their names. Lots of joking and laughing. He hugged the cashier. She tried to not take his money but he would have nothing of that.

This was shortly after his presidential runs in the 90s and he had 3 or 4 security guys with him. I remember how small he looked next to these 6'-7", 300 lb goons... although they were incredibly well dressed.

When I think of Ross Perot I think of "Big Ears", "Giant Sucking Sound", and "No Pass, No Play" in Texas public education.

I remember during one of his presidential debates, one of the candidates said something like I know how to solve that problem, and Perot immediately quipped "I'm all ears!" That retort brought the house down.

I remember during one of his presidential debates, one of the candidates said something like I know how to solve that problem, and Perot immediately quipped "I'm all ears!" That retort brought the house down.

Lol

I watched too. Which character was Ross Perot in early days? That's interesting.
Lee Pace played Joe Macmillan who worked for EDS in the early days of the show, wearing his white shirt and tie with the blue suit that Perot had insisted on at EDS. The interaction with whoever played Perot was incidental.

I recall, perhaps the first time he ran fro President, a news article reviewing his financial disclosures and noting that the vast amount of his money was invested in U.S. Treasuries. I forget what they were paying at the time, but I thought it interesting. It was as if he were saying "I've made enough, don't need to risk it in the stock market".

He had a lot good quotes.

Debt is like a crazy aunt we keep down in the basement. All the neighbors know she’s there, but nobody wants to talk about her.

And many others.....

Ross Perot Quotes

While he seemed unlikely to win, I do recall that at the time, I thought the debates were much more productive than if he hadn't run. He pretty much forced the other candidates to talk about substantive issues, rather than all the stuff they like to talk about that doesn't mean one wit to the future of our country.
I agree about having Perot offering shunned topics and allowing for a more meaningful debate. Seems to me that the two bigs were quite surprised with his poll numbers and later changed the debate rules they'd need in order to participate. I might have made that up, but I'd like to think that Perot had a positive impact on the country, even without getting even close to winning.

I remember one of his quotes very well. He would tell his employees how to handle a problem when one arises at work.

"If you see a rat, kill the rat. Don't call a management meeting to discuss what you're going to do about rats. Just kill the rat and get back to work."

Back in 2001 I was an Aide-de-camp for a General Officer at the Air Force Academy. Mr. Perot was coming for the dedication of the BG Robbie Rysner statue and the reunion of the Hanoi Hilton survivors.

Old thread, my apologies, but...

I worked for Risner briefly at the Texans' War on Drugs organization back in the early-mid-80's. I think Perot came through once or twice, but I never met him there. Later, after his 1992 Presidential campaign he spoke in Dallas to the Temerlin McClain ad agency employees in the main building lobby. He thanked us for our work and afterward shook every single person's hand, even mine.

I can't say I fully appreciated either person's significance at the time, being young and rather oblivious.

I voted for him. And that chapter is what led me to eventually finding the Libertarian ideals, and have voted Libertarian ever since.

A true patriot.

I don't think he really believed he could win the presidency, but made the tremendous effort to get his message out.

He absolutely left his mark on the 92 election. If he had not been such a fierce 3rd party candidate , the first in memory to actually split the vote enough to affect the 2 party result.

Lee Pace played Joe Macmillan who worked for EDS in the early days of the show, wearing his white shirt and tie with the blue suit that Perot had insisted on at EDS. The interaction with whoever played Perot was incidental.
So they cast him as Ross Perot :LOL:, I just saw this response

Halt-and-catch-fire-season-4_Portrait_Lee_pace-joe-macmillan-700x1000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom