Roth recharacterization still OK for 2017?

Curmudgeon

Recycles dryer sheets
I contributed (not converted) to a Roth already for 2017. I think I will want to recharacterize that to tIRA in order to claim a deduction. My reading of the new tax bill is that this is still allowed for tax year 2017, and I should have until April to do that, right?

(In fact, since the original transaction was a contribution, and not a conversion, I think this type of recharacterization will still be permitted even after the tax bill takes effect. Just trying to be extra careful here.)

I contributed (not converted) to a Roth already for 2017. I think I will want to recharacterize that to tIRA in order to claim a deduction. My reading of the new tax bill is that this is still allowed for tax year 2017, and I should have until April to do that, right?

(In fact, since the original transaction was a contribution, and not a conversion, I think this type of recharacterization will still be permitted even after the tax bill takes effect. Just trying to be extra careful here.)

This.

Even under the new law, contributions will be able to be recharacterized in 2018 and beyond.

Conversions for 2017 should be able to be recharacterized in 2018.

See link in posove for details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom