Routeburn Track

finnski1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody hiked the Routeburn Track in NZ? If so can you give a brief review of what you liked and didn't like about it?

Thanks in advance.:)

Will be in NZ in a few days. Not hiking the whole track unfortunately, but will be hiking portions of the Routeburn and Milford tracks. Along with some others like the Abel Tasman track.
Can report back in March upon my return. But I’m pretty sure it’s beautiful.

I hiked the Routeburn Track about 25 years ago. At that time, there were no restrictions. You didn't need any reservations, and you did it in as much or as little time as you wanted. There were a few huts along the track which had sufficient space for the number of hikers at that time. I think I walked the track in 2 days. The Milford Track already required reservations at that time and you had to walk it in a fixed number of days, which seemed too slow to me. That's why I chose the Routeburn Track instead.

I loved it. The hiking wasn't difficult and the scenery was gorgeous. It began in lush temperate rainforest which turned into alpine scenery as I gained altitude. All I needed to carry was a sleeping bag, food, & water. But at that time there was no giardia anywhere in NZ and even government literature said that stream water was safe to drink as long as you weren't downriver from farm animals. I drank stream water in NZ with no problems. I returned to NZ 10 years later, and giardia had arrived in the country by then.

The huts at that time had foam mattresses on the floors and equipped kitchens. Nothing fancy but I slept well. I think there were about a dozen of us in the hut. I had started from the trailhead closest to Queenstown. I was on a bicycle tour and I left my bike in Queenstown and resumed biking a few days later after doing the hike and visiting Milford Sound. I got back to Queenstown by bus.

Milford Sound had lots of biting sandflies which were annoying. I was there in December. I don't recall any issues with sandflies on the Routeburn Track, however.

Will be in NZ in a few days. Not hiking the whole track unfortunately, but will be hiking portions of the Routeburn and Milford tracks. Along with some others like the Abel Tasman track.
Nice. would love to hear a follow up.

We are starting to plan a 2024 visit and are avidly following this thread. How do you do portions of the Routeburn or Milford trail? Do you book through some local agent or are you doing it yourself? Sections of trail would work well for us, especially if we can break it into day-long chunks. We fear we wouldn't sleep well in a shared hut.

Tour group through Road Scholar. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I’m not thrilled with their Covid obsessiveness (imo), but they are good at getting the local permits which are difficult. Hope we enjoy the whole thing including the folks we meet.

Just flew into Auckland today, and boy are my arms tired. Along with the rest of me.

We are starting to plan a 2024 visit and are avidly following this thread. How do you do portions of the Routeburn or Milford trail? Do you book through some local agent or are you doing it yourself? Sections of trail would work well for us, especially if we can break it into day-long chunks. We fear we wouldn't sleep well in a shared hut.

If you prefer to have your own room and bathroom, you can book with an outfitter. We did the Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes and they were top notch, accommodations along the trail were at lodges with delicious meals, private rooms with ensuites and excellent guides. They do several of the great walks including Routeburn. A bit spendier than going on your own with the park huts, though. It was the highlight of our NZ trip.

Mods, please delete if I am not supposed to mention a specific company name…I don’t have any connection to their business so hopefully I haven’t violated any forum rules.

That’s interesting you’ve done it through Ultimate Hikes. They do look first class. I reached out to them, but once again using them requires far advance planning. They book quickly with limited permits I think.

I’d definitely have gone with them if it didn’t require planning a couple years out. I’m not that patient nor organized to make it work. Although I do have myself on a waitlist for the future so you never know.

MuirWannabe - well hopefully the Road Scholar itinerary includes Milford Sound, which is the highlight of the highlight, so to speak. I imagine if they include it, you will hopefully get to do the cruise which is spectacular. Te Anau (which is where you stage for starting the Milford Track) was a fun-looking town although we did not spend much time there; hopefully you will stop off there as well. Enjoy your trip and would love to hear how the RS tour goes!

If you prefer to have your own room and bathroom, you can book with an outfitter. We did the Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes and they were top notch, accommodations along the trail were at lodges with delicious meals, private rooms with ensuites and excellent guides. They do several of the great walks including Routeburn. A bit spendier than going on your own with the park huts, though. It was the highlight of our NZ trip.

Mods, please delete if I am not supposed to mention a specific company name…I don’t have any connection to their business so hopefully I haven’t violated any forum rules.

Thank you! I certainly like to see company recommendations and have contacted them to see if there is anything available in (their) fall 2024.

Back
Top Bottom