RV Reposition Rental

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There are a few companies that offer this. Me and DW thought it would be a fun way to learn about RVs. One has a reposition from NYC to MIami. Or IAD to Miami. Here is the math for a 10 day trip on the smallest RV available (25 foot): 1) Cost of the vehicle rental $600 - this is net of reposition daily discount of $35, 2) Mileage - 1,300 free 3) Optional Kitchen and Personal Kits $175 3) Taxes and licenses $100 4) Liability and Comp/Coll Insurance $300. Checked with my insurance company. I cannot get this through my insurance company. Total paid to RV agency $1,175.

Fees for RV parks, state parks vary. On my mythical trip I hugged the coast and would pay about $225 for my 10 day trip.

Mileage on those puppies is about 8 so the cost of gas would be about $600.

Total so far $2,000. Lets say I get lucky with airfare and end paying $400. I am leaving out food costs. Theory is that I would have food no matter what.

This would be during the offseason. DW and I sometimes go to the beach in the offseason. I just called a place we have visited before and for the same 10 day period, I can stay there for $1,400. It has a little kitchen area.

So I could see a whole lot of different places at various beaches for $2,400 or stay in the same beach place for $1,400. And food costs in the RV could be a bit lower, even though the hotel suite has a kitchen area. Am I missing something?

Tolls?

Then there is the intangible "how much do you like driving a small bus" for 25+ hours question. If that's not an issue, I say go for it.

Having driven the NY to Miami route many times, I'd say the driving question is quite tangible. :) This looks like a good way to get exposed to RV life. Is is safe to assume all maintenance and repair are the responsibility of the owner?

There is the cost to get home as well, unless you reposition another vehicle.

Easy, quick way to see the country without the aquisition of the RV. Breakdowns, etc would be a drag, but all part of it.

My $400 includes one way airfare for DW and I to NYC and one-way airfare from Miami to home. Also, these are repositioning trips for RV rental agencies. Maintenance and repair is on them.

Last edited:
Ddid you check on the price for just a straight rv rental for 10 days?

My $400 includes one way airfare for DW and I to NYC and one airfare from Miami to home. Also, these are repositioning trips for RV rental agencies. Maintenance and repair is on them.

So you will be leaving DW in Miami?

Typo. "One airfare" should be "One-way airfare". And Padlin00, the reason for the discount is that I am moving it to Miami. A plain old 10 day rental would be $500 to $600 more as there would be no $35 per day discount and no free 1300 miles.

We rented an RV in 2007 (not a reposition) to see how we liked travelling that way. We had a blast and ended up buying a travel trailer as a result. We spend 25 or more nights a year in it and have a great time. A rental was a good way for us to try it out.

We rented an RV in 2007 (not a reposition) to see how we liked travelling that way. We had a blast and ended up buying a travel trailer as a result. We spend 25 or more nights a year in it and have a great time. A rental was a good way for us to try it out.

Several KOA's around the country have Airstream trailers on site you can rent by the night. We stayed in one in Bar Harbor Maine for a few nights and decided we liked it. We then bought a 3 year old lightly used Airstream at a substantial discount from the new price. We figured if after a year we ended up not liking it we could get back most of our purchase price on a selling a recent model used Airstream. That turned out to be a good assumption although we have no plans to sell.

Less than two years of ownership and we've spent 79 nights in our trailer and traveled over 8000 miles. We've made many new friends, RV people tend to be very friendly, and we've seen much more of the USA than we would have staying in motels. We are planning a 2 1/2 month tour of the western states in the fall and will likely spend January and February in Florida in the trailer. We love traveling with our tow behind condo. If you think you might be interested in Airstreams specifically, start reading the Airstream forum at www.airforums.com. It is a very active and opinionated, but fun, group. Much like this one.

A travel trailer or tow behind condo looks like a winner. In researching, I found places that charge $65 a night vs state parks that are virtually free (of course no hook ups). What is your experience with both?

Z3 --- I agree with REWahoo the best source for information on individual parks is the RV Park Reviews website.

With respect to the cost of overnights we've experienced the following:

1) No cost - parking lots at Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Cabella's, churches. Plus some national forests, state forests, and BLM locations. Some RV owners allow "courtesy parking" on their property and there are published directories (usually by RV clubs such as the WBCCI) who list these courtesy parking sites. We use the parking lots when we need to stay overnight going long distances between stop and stay locations. Not all Wal-Marts or Cracker Barrels allow overnights due to local ordinances and some are in high crime areas you wouldn't want to stay in. We always call the store manager and ask for permission. Allstays has a camping app that tells which Wal-Marts allow overnights as well as information about campgrounds in any part of the US. Most trailers and motorhomes are self contained (water, sewer and waste water tanks, 12 volt electricity, propane powered refrigerator and furnace) so it is easy to pull into a parking lot and stay overnight without sacrificing a hot shower, heat in the winter, and electricity for lights.

2) Low cost - state parks, local county or city parks with campgrounds, national parks, Army Corps of Engineers parks, Airstream only parks run by clubs or private groups. The overnight fees range from $5 to roughly $25 depending on amenities and pricing policies as well as whether or not you use the reservation service which sometimes tacks on a fee. Many military bases have low cost campgrounds for active service people and sometimes veterans. Many state parks have electricity and water hookups and some have full hookups including sewer, cable TV, and wifi. Almost all have a dump station. Potable water is usually available at a dump station or restroom if not at the campsite.

3) Moderate cost - primarily private campgrounds. Range in cost from $25 to $45 per night. We find unaffiliated, individually owned campgrounds average about $32 per night. Members of AAA, Good Sam, Passport, and other organizations can receive discounts of 10% and sometimes more. Many private campgrounds also have lower weekly and monthly rates for people planning longer visits. National chains (KOA, Jellystone) typically cost $5 to $10 more than the mom and pop campgrounds in a specific location.

4) High cost - RV resorts, with many luxury amenities, catering to large class A motorhomes often cost more than $50 per night. Other private campgrounds in popular resort areas in season (i.e. Florida in winter) or near urban areas where land costs are high often charge rates from $50 to $100.

We've developed a strong preference for campgrounds in state parks which we find are better cared for than national parks. Plus the natural beauty of many state parks is as breathtaking as any national park. By staying in state parks, occasionally at private campgrounds and "free" locations as well as once in a while splurging on a higher priced campground close to an urban area, we average about $20 per night in camping fees. Plus we save significantly on food by eating in most of the time. Many state parks have discounts for seniors as well as annual pass programs that offer camping discounts. Many federal government run campsites are discounted to holders of the America the Beautiful Senior passes.

Last edited:
NC 57 your info is dead on. We spent 70 nights in our RV last year, 75% of that in commercial "mom & pop" RV parks, 25% in State and National Parks. Our average cost was $24/night.

I also understand that members of Passport America receive discounts of up to 50% at many independent privately owned campgrounds who participate in PA. There is an annual fee to join Passport America. I've heard there are sometimes restrictions imposed by the campgrounds (limited number of PA sites, limitations on stay days) but I've not used the program so I can't speak with authority.

For those who are so inclined, work camping can result in free full hookup sites at public and private parks, sometimes with additional compensation. State parks, national parks, COE parks, and other public campgrounds often have camp hosts who are volunteers. These volunteers receive a free site in exchange for performing administrative duties and cleanup work. Duration of these assignments can range from a month to a season. I've also talked to individuals and couples working at private campgrounds who are performing the work in exchange for a free site and possibly a small hourly stipend. These work camping assignments allow sufficient time off for to explore the area.

Last edited:
I also understand that members of Passport America receive discounts of up to 50% at many independent privately owned campgrounds who participate in PA. There is an annual fee to join Passport America. I've heard there are sometimes restrictions imposed by the campgrounds (limited number of PA sites, limitations on stay days) but I've not used the program so I can't speak with authority.
We are Passport America members and have found it to be cost-effective.

Participating RV parks offer 50% off nightly stays, often restricted to weeknights or one night only, but some parks are more generous. Membership is just under $50 per year and in our case has more than paid for itself, but the savings will vary depending on where you travel.

We spent 365 nights in our RV last year and the year before as we are full timers in ours, sold the house and all the belongings except what is in our motorhome and like others here we stay about 75% of of our nights in "mom & pop" RV parks and 25% in State/COE/Fairgrounds and National Parks. Our average cost for the last two years was $25/night. We have never camped in a parking lot yet (walmart, cabelas, cracker barrell etc) and are Passport America members (well worth the annual fee). we keep our average down by staying for a week of month in places we like. Longer stays get a discount in nightly fees...

Back
Top Bottom