RV Trip to Outer Banks, sights to see suggestions.

fisherman

Full time employment: Posting here.
We recently sold our 13 year old camper and bought a new one. After a couple of local trips to check it out we are considering a longer trip. We have not been to many places in NC and have always wanted to go to the Outer Banks. Trip would start in TN to NC and then SC to Georgia and back through north AL. Looking for ideas that work in the social distancing world. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:
I live in NC. You may wish to check if the outer banks are allowing non-residents back on the islands. I am not sure if it is still in effect, but at one time they were restricting access to the islands to full-time residents only. There was an article in the Raleigh paper about possibly opening OBX May 16. What is the status of many of the businesses is another unknown since many are closed by choice or on a restricted operating schedule. A lot of campgrounds and parks are still closed state-wide under mandatory lockdown and that may include RV parks. Good luck with your visit. I have been many times and loved it.

I love jockeys ridge and the Wright brothers museum is nearby also I think. I recall buying groceries there prior to taking the ferry over for a week in ocracoke. Oracle groceries are twice the price

Outer Banks and Ocracoke are great places to visit normally but it might not be a good time now. Last year they had a big hurricane and right when they were recovering from that the virus hit. They have until very recently been allowing only homeowners on the Island. Many locals don't want any tourists to come because of the virus. I would guess that most tourist things like Jockeys Ridge, Wright Brothers, the Aquarium and the National Park are still closed. North Carolina is still in phase one reopening and no inside dining allowed right now. The Outer Banks has very few grocery stores and if you go take your own supplies because there may not be much available. I think the best time to go to the Outer Banks is the Fall--less mosquitos and better fishing (but of course then there may be hurricanes).

Kill Devil Hill's Rum Distillery. I don't need to say any more.

However, they make a pecan honey rum with pecans grown on the property. They gave them away the pecans about 5 years ago, after their use. They may sell them now. They were the bestest thing ever to put in cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls, and pecan bread.

Thank you all for the very helpful info. Still evaluating the trip and what areas are open.

Visit New Bern on the Mainland

Original capital of state when British ruled

Like a mini Williamsburg

Visit nearby Aurora's Fossils area they routinely find Mega Shark Teeth

Visit Manteo a cute coastal Town

Visit Beaufort , NC where Blackbeards ship was found right outside the towns anchorage
They have a great Museum dedicated to treasures recovered
Nearby island there are wild horses with Lineage from the Spanish ships that have sunk over 300 years ago

Best to drive down Highway 12 and ferry hop the Outer Banks Island chain

Ferries are free from this direction. Then Ferry over to the Mainland and see the interesting towns there

If camping is your thing there is a inexpensive state park on Ocracoke Island which you'll be a hundred yards from ocean

As mentioned Kitty Hawk is very good

Manteo is also an interesting historical stop as the location of the lost Dare Colony.

When your driving up 17 from SC to N.C. - take a side trip through Southport, NC. It’s on the Cape Fear River and have fabulous restaurants. This is the home of the States 4th of July events.

If you do travel to New Bern and Beaufort, NC go ahead and pencil in two other stops between those cities.

1. Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium - a bit south of Atlantic Beach

2. Fort Macon State Park - a fort from the civil war. It’s free and quite impressive.

Fort Macon State Park - a fort from the civil war. It’s free and quite impressive.

+1 Went there when we stayed at/in Salter Path.

Fort Macon State Park is closed right now, not sure when it will reopen

I liked that area best in spring or fall with fewer tourists. Bike Week gets congested but I think it has been canceled this year.

Back
Top Bottom