RVing expected to boom as lockdowns are eased

Status
Not open for further replies.

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Travel experts predict a surge in RV sales among families looking for more private ways to vacation in the aftermath of COVID-19.

Airlines, cruises and other forms of group travel have taken quite the hit since personal anxieties or legal restrictions stunned the industry in March. CBS News Travel Editor Peter Greenberg spoke to the Yahoo Finance team during a recent “On the Move” broadcast to discuss the RV industry’s potential recovery.

Greenberg said a combination of personal choice and feasibility could lead to a big year for RV dealers as the pandemic subsides.

“You’re going to see RV sales go through the roof,” Greenberg said. “You’re going to see national parks get crowded, campsites get crowded. Families travelling together as one unit in their ‘quarantine mobile,’ otherwise known as an RV, so that they don’t have to stop and go to a hotel or even go to a restaurant.”

And fuel is cheap, too.

https://www.rvnews.com/rv-sales-to-...BJ561eOLM-ed1ExH81L0bqkrouseVd4FdWO-oWkxzaFlY

Really? It will be interesting to see if it actually pans out that way.

Yay - family travel. Stop at a KOA. All the kids go to the pool. Mixing with other campers. Oooops!

I think it will be virtually impossible to keep the family isolated to the one campsite.

Really? It will be interesting to see if it actually pans out that way.

Yay - family travel. Stop at a KOA. All the kids go to the pool. Mixing with other campers. Oooops!

I think it will be virtually impossible to keep the family isolated to the one campsite.

That may be true for families with kids, but for the rest of us it won't be a problem.

My preference would be to see far less of a boom than this guy predicts. More available campsites for us would be nice.

.....with grannie's corpse wrapped in a tarpaulin and strapped to the top of the vehicle.

Right, because sales of $50-250k vehicles that are completely discretionary purchases should be expected to boom with double digit unemployment and a brown out economy.

I’ve actually thought the opposite with unemployment and loss of net worth fueling the sale of toys. Although I suppose if you’re out of work you may as well travel and enjoy yourself.

Right, because sales of $50-250k vehicles that are completely discretionary purchases should be expected to boom with double digit unemployment and a brown out econnomy.

I am hoping to find a deal on a used Sprinter Class B for a future trip to Alaska.

Right, because sales of $50-250k vehicles that are completely discretionary purchases should be expected to boom with double digit unemployment and a brown out economy.

Hey, a lot of used RVs priced well under those numbers are going to be available in estate sales when us old geezers succumb to CV19.

That may be true for families with kids, but for the rest of us it won't be a problem.

My preference would be to see far less of a boom than this guy predicts. More available campsites for us would be nice.

I think it will be perfect time for retirees with rv's already in hand. Cheap fuel and probably lot's of wide open parks.

There is that, but at the other end of the spectrum a used popup trailer from Craigslist won't be quite that much. Some are surprising in the furnishings and amenities they offer and compared to the "tent on bare ground" that I remember from camping are downright luxurious.

Given that we hate crowds there is about a zero chance of us joining in the pandemonium anyway.

I've read a number of pieces recently about RVers being stuck at whatever campground they were at when the lockdowns started. Many places absolutely will not let anyone make a reservation so if you're in a less desirable location you just have to grit your teeth and make the best of it.

I would think that many folks in that situation will be looking to sell their machines and take up a fixed but less restrictive lifestyle. So there could be some bargains to be had.

But since stories like this have been widespread, new prospective buyers will probably think twice before jumping in on a new purchase. So the cited article sounds much too optimistic to me.

I still have campground reservations at 3 national and state parks for this summer in our travel trailer for DH, me, and a cat. No KOA for me. The nature trails should be okay if I wear a mask. Refunds on reservations are automatic if the parks remain closed. I would prefer my travel trailer over a hotel room at this point.

I have wondered what we would do, if we had to evacuate for a hurricane this summer. Usually we just drive far enough to be out of danger, and then continue to drive in the same direction (north-ish) until we can find a motel room. But that doesn't sound like such a great idea this summer; motel rooms don't sound like a great place to be during a pandemic. Also I would imagine it might be pretty tough for New Orleanians to even rent a motel room. Some states are requiring us to be quarantined for 14 days upon entering the state.

But then, it would be dumb for us to buy an RV just to give us a place to sleep in case of an evacuation, since we have no desire to travel in a normal year. Pardon the rambling post; just thinking out loud.

The same discussions apply to cruising boaters, too.

My sense is that these lifestyles will be popular as other travel options are unavailable or less desirable. What's not to like about bringing your own "home" along and doing the social distancing thing while traveling? The word I'm hearing now around the marina industry is that people in the Northeast are either already getting their boats ready, or chomping at the bit to start. Lots of states have never closed, have re-opened, or plan to re-open marinas.

The biggest problem now is the day boaters who think it's OK to all raft up for a Florida-spring-break style gathering. If one video of something like that hits the news, the states will shut down boating for everyone.

I am hoping lots of people stay home so we can go on a few camping trips this summer. That would be nice. Although, we do like camping because we meet so many new people. Not so much this summer.

Norwegians have been told to stay in our own country this summer. RV and boat sales are booming. And RV rentals are fully booked.

Hotels are running campaigns and dumping prices but I'm not tempted this summer.

While we can drive across the border into Sweden we have to stay in quarantine for 14 days in Sweden when we get there and then another 14 days in Norway when we come back.

I'd think dipping the kids in a chlorine solution would be a pretty effective treatment.

Just curious - can you travel freely across state lines in the US or are there restrictions or quarantine rules in place?

I think it depends on the state. We're still in FL, but thinking about heading back north in a month or so. At our MD house we're about 3 miles from the DE line, and from what I understand DE is stopping cars with out of state plates (like our FL plates) and fining them and threatening jail time. I think the exception is people who can prove they've quarantined for 14 days. And how can you possibly prove that?

I think it depends on the state. We're still in FL, but thinking about heading back north in a month or so. At our MD house we're about 3 miles from the DE line, and from what I understand DE is stopping cars with out of state plates (like our FL plates) and fining them and threatening jail time. I think the exception is people who can prove they've quarantined for 14 days. And how can you possibly prove that?

I could prove it by my gray roots .

So not unlike the situation for Scandinavians who have been snowbirding in southern Europe and wanted to return home recently. Driving across most countries were OK for people just heading home.

But some people in Greece and Portugal had to quarantine on camp sites for weeks before they could return home.

And RVs coming from Morocco wasn't allowed into Spain so they had to wait until EU organized a special ferry from Morocco to France.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom