Safe deposit boxes

You are corrrct and thanks for the note. Our adult son knows the box number and has access to it.

Have your own

Buy a safe for your home or apartment. Cost is low and you have 24x7 access to important documents. Why be inconvenienced using a bank SD box?

I like having everything at home in a solid safe that we can access whenever we want..

I like having everything at home in a solid safe that we can access whenever we want..

Until there's a fire.

I still use a bank box, keep a hard drive and flash drive there, rotate them from time to time. Sometimes I think it would be better to store them at a trusted friend/relative, but that seems to double the chance of them being stolen.

The $30/year or whatever seems worth it for piece of mind.

-ERD50

Good point about theft. I need to put encryption on my backup drives so that the fire proof safe gets taken, someone won't have access to all of my data.

I used to use Truecrypt, but it was deprecated

I still use TrueCrypt. I tried VeraCrypt but found it to be way too slow.

I'm not trying to keep out government agencies, I just want some protection against the casual thief, hacker, or simply someone snooping around on my computer.

I don't bother encrypting the entire drive. I just create TrueCrypt volumes to store my financial accounts, health records, etc. I don't care if someone gets access to my programs, music files, etc.

Back
Top Bottom