sanity check on my numbers

Yes, it's easier, but it doesn't give you estimates other than taking SS at 62 if you stop working early. You can, of course, calculate for other ages, but you have to know SSA's percentages.

Not sure what you mean by knowing SSA's percentages? By putting in zeroes, I have run the calculator for any age between 62 and 70.

Not sure what you mean by knowing SSA's percentages? By putting in zeroes, I have run the calculator for any age between 62 and 70.

If you put in a value other than $0 in for future year's earnings, it shows the Age 62 benefit based on the wage earned up until the retirement year input (in my case, age 53, and I'm 52 now), but the Age 67 and 70 benefits shown both assume that the earnings continue to those ages.

In your case, since you put $0, it may not matter. In my case, since it's assuming that my earnings continue to 67 or 70, it's over-stating the benefits at those ages if I stop working next year (e.g., at age 70, benefit is showing $3691/mo, rather than $3039 if I stop working next year based on the PIA calculator).

If you put in a value other than $0 in for future year's earnings, it shows the Age 62 benefit based on the wage earned up until the retirement year input (in my case, age 53, and I'm 52 now), but the Age 67 and 70 benefits shown both assume that the earnings continue to those ages.

In your case, since you put $0, it may not matter. In my case, since it's assuming that my earnings continue to 67 or 70, it's over-stating the benefits at those ages if I stop working next year (e.g., at age 70, benefit is showing $3691/mo, rather than $3039 if I stop working next year based on the PIA calculator).

Okay yes agree.
My situation is zeroes all the way through which produces accurate estimates for that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom