Saving e-mail.....who does it?

I delete junk emails immediately and keep everything else (personal emails, receipts, etc...).

When I ran MegaOrg's network (1800+ PCs), we had a few people who didn't just keep every e-mail they ever received. They also printed out every single e-mail they ever received (including "Hi, going for lunch"), and filed the paper copies. If these people ever lost a .PST file from four years back in a disk crash (we limited backed-up network drive space, so people would hoard their precious old e-mails in a .PST on their PC's hard drive), it was as if they'd lost a limb.

I use web based mail but I don't save much. I have about 12 folders and things that I want to keep go to the appropriate folder. But non of them have a lot in them, some a few things and some maybe 20 but that would be a lot. I have one folder that's called Keep These and that's where the misc stuff goes like when I joined here, I still have that sign up email.

When I ran MegaOrg's network (1800+ PCs), we had a few people who didn't just keep every e-mail they ever received. They also printed out every single e-mail they ever received (including "Hi, going for lunch"), and filed the paper copies. If these people ever lost a .PST file from four years back in a disk crash (we limited backed-up network drive space, so people would hoard their precious old e-mails in a .PST on their PC's hard drive), it was as if they'd lost a limb.

Our SAN guys just used it as an excuse to buy more disk. They had 100s of PB. There was a target date of when they would hit EB threshold(10 to the 18th). How fun to just spend money.
MRG

Work emails, I save emails for current projects and archive older projects. I immediately delete all emails I'm copied on that have nothing to do with me, corporate newsletter, auto reply emails, and jokes.........please no 50 jokes-a-day. If I could, I'd block our jokester at work but they send real work occasionally.
At home I delete almost everything. I do save email online orders. I have saved emails from my best friend that passed away two years ago. I re-read her emails and feel like she's still online somewhere. I have one friend that sends 10 or 15 jokes every day. I don't even read his emails because he never says anything......just sends jokes.

For personal e-mail, I archive everything except spam/ads. Gmail makes this easy.

For work, I save anything that I might need to refer to again.

Back
Top Bottom