Saving on food as a single person

^^^^Here is the chart for US farm subsidies from Wikipedia. We subsidize the raw ingredients in soda, ramen noodles, and cigarettes but not green veggies. I know, you said "don't get me started". :cool:

ETA: Found this also in the article. "Fruit and vegetable crops are not eligible for subsidies."

Attachments

• Farm subs.png
    Farm subs.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A couple of cheap additions:

sprouts made in a jar, doesn't require refrigeration while growing and only after its full size if you don't eat them all at once. You can put a days worth of sprouts in each jar to minimize refrigeration. Just need rinsing twice a day. Last time I calculated they cost me about 4 cents per pint of sprouts. I buy seeds in bulk from True Leaf Market. Sprouts will add a lot of nutrition.

For somewhat more effort, you can grow salad sprouts. Get this book from your library: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Round-Indoor-Salad-Gardening-Nutrient-Dense/dp/1603586156/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OTVJN351YUQK&keywords=peter+burke+year-round+indoor&qid=1563121246&s=gateway&sprefix=peter+burke%2Caps%2C310&sr=8-1. You don't need growlights for these. I use these to make a salad in the winter when the greens at the market are often wilted and expensive. Again, very minimal cost but more than just the sprouts in the jar, since soil is involved that you can't reuse.

^^^^Here is the chart for US farm subsidies from Wikipedia. We subsidize the raw ingredients in soda, ramen noodles, and cigarettes but not green veggies. I know, you said "don't get me started". :cool:

ETA: Found this also in the article. "Fruit and vegetable crops are not eligible for subsidies."

Nah! We would rather subsidize tobacco production, so that we can tax the sale of it later. It's a wise investment.

Hang on to your seat. MJ subsidy coming up. :rolleyes:

Nah! We would rather subsidize tobacco production, so that we can tax the sale of it later. It's a wise investment.

That works for the Gov as long as the subsidy cost is less than the tax revenue. Plus, think of all the jobs that are created and taxes paid on the workers' earnings!

But you are cutting up mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs anyways, so you already have a knife out......

Anyway, ewwwwww.
You are a careful reader -- and you caught me with my pants down.

Speaking of having pants down, ...

... I recall a story in the paper some years ago about a guy cooking in the buff, and hurting himself down there with a knife, requiring a trip to the ER. Hospital workers had a heck of a story to tell that day.

Last edited:
You should have linked in the photo so people know what yellow line was talked about.

Have no fear. It came off with the skin anyhow.

RoadKill-150x150.jpg

Trying to stir 3 things on the stove at once, no doubt.
Multitasking is not for everyone.

Speaking of having pants down, ...

... I recall a story in the paper some years ago about a guy cooking in the buff, and hurting himself down there with a knife, requiring a trip to the ER. Hospital workers had a heck of a story to tell that day.

I could not figure out how he hurt his private part with a knife while cooking, or rather prepping.

Searched for the news article, but could not find it.

Start making homemade casseroles that will provide plenty of frozen leftovers. I use tortillas (which rarely goes bad) for sandwiches instead of bread, I drink lots of ice water, and buy tea/soda by the case, and it lasts me for a month.

Don't buy that Starbux, quit smoking, and pay at the pump to prevent temptation in a quik-mart.

With a tight budget, your main enemy is the convenient "single serve" items when a large can of soup, or rotisserie chicken can provide several good meals if handled properly.

Last edited:
Start making homemade casseroles that will provide plenty of frozen leftovers. I use tortillas (which rarely goes bad) for sandwiches instead of bread, I drink lots of ice water, and buy tea/soda by the case, and it lasts me for a month.

Don't buy that Starbux, quit smoking, and pay at the pump to prevent temptation in a quik-mart.

With a tight budget, your main enemy is the convenient "single serve" items when a large can of soup, or rotisserie chicken can provide several good meals if handled properly.

All great ideas. We do something similar with fruit. They often have a great sale if we buy a case of something (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.) We freeze them and DH puts them on his oatmeal.

I disagree about homemade casseroles for most single eaters because the reality is that these things end up mostly getting tossed out because they have spoiled or got left in the freezer for years and years.

For me, just buying fresh ingredients for the things I will eat is all it takes. So I mentioned a can of beans upthread which can be eaten over 3 meals. The beans are not the main ingredient, so one won't get sick of them no will does one need to cook up a pound of dried beans and store them away ahead of time. Just buy a can or two whenever you know you will eat them. Of course, cans of beans store well for a long time, so they are a decent item to have in your pantry during hurricane season.

I disagree about homemade casseroles for most single eaters because the reality is that these things end up mostly getting tossed out because they have spoiled or got left in the freezer for years and years.
That's what I routinely did (make a big batch of something and freeze the leftovers for later) when I was w*rking and even now. These precious frozen leftovers are perfect for easy/fast meals when I'm busy. You need some kind of system though so you know your inventory. I could see them left in the freezer for years if I didn't know what's in the freezer. Also, you need to package them well (not many air bubbles, etc) At least for me, this helps me keeps me from going for junk food or picking up fast food on the fly.

I've frozen lasagne, pasta, meatballs with marinara sauce, meatloaves, grilled chicken, broiled chicken, soups and the list goes on. I get sad when I use up the meatballs because it takes a lot of effort to make them.

Last edited:
So I mentioned a can of beans upthread which can be eaten over 3 meals. The beans are not the main ingredient, so one won't get sick of them no will does one need to cook up a pound of dried beans and store them away ahead of time. Just buy a can or two whenever you know you will eat them. Of course, cans of beans store well for a long time, so they are a decent item to have in your pantry during hurricane season.
These are great ideas too, especially if you eat beans.

One factor I failed to mention before is that I am sharing a refrigerator with my housemate and I prefer not to use too much room in the fridge. Eggs are the only exception. Things like vegs or meat requires cooling and I prefer not to do that (hence the tin fish, cereal, noodles, etc).
I am lactose intolerant. No milk for me.

I understand your desire to lower food costs. It's one of our biggest expenses too. However, you're on your way to sickness or death with your current diet. I see a lot of junk food, with no significant calories or nutrition. You're going to be malnourished if you keep this up, and that will cost a LOT more than the food money you're saving.

Surely there are other areas you can reduce costs without sacrificing your health. Drop Netflix, cancel your cable TV, find a cheaper cell phone plan, stop going to the gym, cancel other subscriptions, walk instead of drive, take public transportation, etc.

The easiest way to reduce your grocery costs and maintain good health is to avoid convenience foods. No frozen dinners, no canned spaghetti sauces, no canned meats, no potato chips, etc. Most of that stuff is high in fat, sodium, or sugar and is horrible for you. Also, don't smoke and avoid alcohol, two expensive and unhealthy habits.

Buy more fresh vegetables. They're cheaper than frozen, better for you, and don't require refrigeration. Reduce the amount of meat you eat, it's expensive.

Only buy items in bulk if you know for sure you will use it. It doesn't make sense to save 20% if you end up throwing away 50% of the unused food.

I know cooking isn't much fun when you live on your own, but as a single person what else are you doing with your time? Cooking your own meals is healthier, and you'll save money.

There are plenty of foods you can buy fairly inexpensively that can be combined into numerous meals. Ground beef, potatoes, canned corn or green beans, minute rice, dried pasta, ramen noodles, etc. These aren't necessarily the healthiest options, but they're better than your current diet.

Oh, you can buy lactose free milk in most stores too...

So I just made lunch following my scheme:
3 spoonfuls of black beans in a large glass bowl
Add knife-slab of thai roasted red chili paste
spit in some carrots chunks
microwave 30 second, stir, microwave another 30 seconds
Add fresh baby spinach leaves from a bag
Add about 6 cherry tomatoes
Add some fresh-picked blueberries (wife went blueberry picking on Saturday)
Add a small handful of shell-less pistachios
Put some ranch dressing on it and a handful of croutons
Grind some black pepper on it
Stir up (toss?) the whole salad and eat it.

Prep time about 5 minutes including the 1 min of microwave time. I did use a knife because the paste jar was so small a spoon would not fit in it. Note that prep bowl, microwave bowl, serving bowl, eating bowl, and washing bowl are all the same bowl.

Last edited:
A couple of cheap additions:

sprouts made in a jar, doesn't require refrigeration while growing and only after its full size if you don't eat them all at once. You can put a days worth of sprouts in each jar to minimize refrigeration. Just need rinsing twice a day. Last time I calculated they cost me about 4 cents per pint of sprouts. I buy seeds in bulk from True Leaf Market. Sprouts will add a lot of nutrition.

For somewhat more effort, you can grow salad sprouts. Get this book from your library: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Round-I...&s=gateway&sprefix=peter+burke,aps,310&sr=8-1. You don't need growlights for these. I use these to make a salad in the winter when the greens at the market are often wilted and expensive. Again, very minimal cost but more than just the sprouts in the jar, since soil is involved that you can't reuse.
+1 I did this with my biology class a few decades ago. We had 15 gallon jars to use and about $2 of various seeds. In a few days we had 15 gallons of sprouts.

The easiest way to reduce your grocery costs and maintain good health is to avoid convenience foods. No frozen dinners, no canned spaghetti sauces, no canned meats, no potato chips, etc. Most of that stuff is high in fat, sodium, or sugar and is horrible for you. Also, don't smoke and avoid alcohol, two expensive and unhealthy habits.

Buy more fresh vegetables. They're cheaper than frozen, better for you, and don't require refrigeration. Reduce the amount of meat you eat, it's expensive.

Only buy items in bulk if you know for sure you will use it. It doesn't make sense to save 20% if you end up throwing away 50% of the unused food.

I know cooking isn't much fun when you live on your own, but as a single person what else are you doing with your time? Cooking your own meals is healthier, and you'll save money.

There are plenty of foods you can buy fairly inexpensively that can be combined into numerous meals. Ground beef, potatoes, canned corn or green beans, minute rice, dried pasta, ramen noodles, etc. These aren't necessarily the healthiest options, but they're better than your current diet.

Agree with most of this advice, except for reducing the amount of meat to eat. The OP apparently eats very little meat as it is (not nearly enough, IMO). Getting adequate protein is very important, especially as we age. Meat is a very nutrient-dense food, and certain types of meats (chicken and pork, especially) are not all that expensive, considering the nutrition they provide. If you look at the nutrition provided per dollar spent on chicken or pork, versus nutrition provided per dollar spent on ramen noodles or dried pasta, the meat wins every time. Eggs are an even better value, in terms of nutrition per dollar spent.

Cold water is considered bad for long term health though it's debatable.

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-drinking-cold-water-bad-for-you

Soda sucks calcium from your bones. This is pretty solid:
https://www.healthyvogue.com/9-foods-bad-for-bones/3/

I just drink water. To avoid frequent trips to the tap and get water, I buy those 2.5Gallon water and then refill it once a few days.

Can't agree with you more. Walmart's rotisserie chicken lasts me four meals for $4.98. If I am lucky, there are sometimes discount (total $3.98) of the same thing from the night before.

Agree with most of this advice, except for reducing the amount of meat to eat. The OP apparently eats very little meat as it is (not nearly enough, IMO). Getting adequate protein is very important, especially as we age.

I am a big meat eater. I rarely have a meal that doesn't have some type of meat. However, LOTS of people do just fine with vegetarian diets, and the fact remains meat is quite expensive. The trick is to make meat complimentary to a meal and not the main course. For example, instead of a 16 ounce Ribeye steak, use 6 ounces of round steak sliced thinly in a stir-fry or stroganoff. Cheaper cuts of meat in smaller quantities.

Here is a link on a 1 day starvation diet video that will help you save money and improves your health at the same time!!!!

The Japanese researcher won the Nobel Prize in medicine for his discovery so this has merit.

Back
Top Bottom