Say you want a resolution, well ya know, I don't wanna change the world !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My New Years resolutions; lose 15 pounds, get in better shape and drop my golf handicap back down to an eight, be nicer to the wife, no sweets, reduce alcohol consumption to no more than three cocktails per week, hard cardio exercise at least three days a week. On the next 365 day orbit around the big red ball, I need to work on overall health improvement, even if it kills me.

What say you, oh wise denizens of the ER Forum ?

Many years ago I made a new years resolution to never make another new years resolution. I have stuck to it.

Wow, frayne, that's an ambitious list!
Good luck with keeping those healthy resolutions.

Mine is mostly to be nicer to people, refrain from giving my opinion on everything, and be willing to confront uncomfortable situations rather than stewing about them internally.

And sure: walk more, eat less, and all those other healthy things. :)

Taking my normal one month break from any alcohol. Have done so for 15-20 years now in the month of January as a nice self check and fun mind game - entertaining to see who's running the ship.

I'm going to give up crack cocaine and heroin. Should be fairly easy since I've never tried them.

I usually try to take on a skill goal each year. One year it was to learn to make bread. Another it was to perfect pie crust using butter (vs shortening). I missed last year's goal - which was to learn how to make gnocchi from scratch. I will use this year as a do-over.

Declutter. More exercise. Finally get that blood work that the family doctor has been giving me for the last couple years done.

...snip. ..

I missed last year's goal - which was to learn how to make gnocchi from scratch. I will use this year as a do-over.

I made scratch gnocchi one year for DW on Valentines day. Must have gotten her to go out for awhile as I had no idea if it would actually work. She was rightfully concerned about what might happen in the kitchen. Turns out just when I thought it was failing, it came together perfectly. It was much easier and just as fantastic as my expectations.

This year mine are to keep the exercise and diet under control. I think the gnocchi sounds great to surprise DW with again. Maybe I'll see if she wants to stay home this time.

Last edited:
A very different way to look at New Years resolutions? And maybe an explanation why those resolutions are usually predictable, and unsuccessful. Something LBYMers already know.

If it doesn't speak to you (the typically predictable few), no problem...

You probably know to ask yourself, “What do I want?” Here’s a way better question - Quartz

A more interesting question, a question that perhaps you’ve never considered before, is what pain do you want in your life? What are you willing to struggle for? Because that seems to be a greater determinant of how our lives turn out.

Everybody wants to have an amazing job and financial independence—but not everyone wants to suffer through 60-hour work weeks, long commutes, obnoxious paperwork, to navigate arbitrary corporate hierarchies and the blasé confines of an infinite cubicle hell. People want to be rich without the risk, without the sacrifice, without the delayed gratification necessary to accumulate wealth.

Because happiness requires struggle. The positive is the side effect of handling the negative. You can only avoid negative experiences for so long before they come roaring back to life.

People want an amazing physique. But you don’t end up with one unless you legitimately appreciate the pain and physical stress that comes with living inside a gym for hour upon hour, unless you love calculating and calibrating the food you eat, planning your life out in tiny plate-sized portions.

People want to start their own business or become financially independent. But you don’t end up a successful entrepreneur unless you find a way to appreciate the risk, the uncertainty, the repeated failures, and working insane hours on something you have no idea whether will be successful or not.

People want a partner, a spouse. But you don’t end up attracting someone amazing without appreciating the emotional turbulence that comes with weathering rejections, building the sexual tension that never gets released, and staring blankly at a phone that never rings. It’s part of the game of love. You can’t win if you don’t play.

This is the most simple and basic component of life: our struggles determine our successes. So choose your struggles wisely, my friend.

Last edited:
Turn those resolutions into habits.

frayne, your wife was #3 on your list! :-(

Mine: one resolution per month. Baby steps for change.

Mine is mostly to be nicer to people, refrain from giving my opinion on everything, and be willing to confront uncomfortable situations rather than stewing about them internally.

And sure: walk more, eat less, and all those other healthy things. :)
I'm going to borrow yours. :greetings10:

frayne, your wife was #3 on your list! :-(

Mine: one resolution per month. Baby steps for change.

I'm pretty darn nice to her already and she has put up with me for over forty years. But doesn't hurt to try to improve in that area.

My New Years resolutions; lose [-]1[/-]5 pounds, get in better shape [-]and drop my golf handicap back down to an eight[/-], be nicer to the wife, [-]no sweets[/-], reduce alcohol consumption to no more than [-]three[/-] five or six cocktails per week,[-] hard[/-] medium cardio exercise at least three days a [-]week[/-] month. On the next 36[-]5[/-]6 day orbit around the big red ball, I need to work on overall health improvement, even if it kills me.

I don't want to get to carried away but I think I can manage those (modified) resolutions too.

Last edited:
I love the thread title and resolve to nominate it for an award at the 2016 e-r.orgies.

I quit smoking as a NY resolution on Jan 2 1975 (I had forgotten I had resolved it in the hungover haze of Jan 1 that year--great party), so I know resolutions can work for me. Our health club membership kicks in again on 1/4 after its suspension during DH's extended cardiac rehabbing the past six months. Pretty sure I can connect the dots on this one. Watch out, 2016!

I rarely make a resolution, but when I do, it does not have to coincide with a New Year.

Here's my present running one: to stay below a BMI of 24, and ideally closer to 23. Right now, I need to shed 2 lbs to get back to 24.

I'm usually not one much for NY resolutions but I'm hitting the 65 benchmark this year and I know if I don't want to lose it, I need to use it. Actually in pretty decent shape, walk problem 5+ miles a day and am fairly active. Just want to do more and continue to feel good. The 15 pounds must come off as DW said she would leave me if she had to buy me 38" waist pants. Really incentive right there. Living in the south is a real plus in being able to get out doors a lot.

The 15 pounds must come off as DW said she would leave me if she had to buy me 38" waist pants. Really incentive right there. Living in the south is a real plus in being able to get out doors a lot.

Frayne - I don't know what kind of diet you follow, but if you want to lose a little weight, you might want to try cutting back on carbs and sugary foods a bit (things like pasta, bread, bagels, cookies, chips, crackers, etc.). I did that about 6 years ago now, when I needed to lose some weight, and within just a few months, I had dropped the 20 lbs. I wanted to lose. And it really wasn't difficult, for me anyway. Exercise is great for overall fitness, but it won't really take much weight off, if you don't cut back on dietary carbs (in my experience).

If you are already eating this way, then nevermind............

Run a marathon, weight workout 3 times a week, declutter, make my life simpler.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Turn those resolutions into habits.

+1
I've never made a NY resolution in my life. If you're living each day taking some action however small toward where you want to end up, "resolutions" seem silly, at least they always have to me. Declaring any goal, be it improved health, finances, relationship, etc. can be made at any time. As Brian Tracy says, the only question is how badly you want it? I've found most have good intentions but never the fortitude to stick with accomplishing what they intend; hence, the need for "resolutions". Judging from several decades of observing new people at the gym every January, that doesn't appear to work too well.

One of the most brilliant women I've ever heard (a dance coach) once told her dancers "you have to get your mindset, otherwise it will kick your *ss". I believe this advice could be extrapolated to any goal, or resolution, if you will.

My New Years resolutions; lose 15 pounds, get in better shape and drop my golf handicap back down to an eight, be nicer to the wife, no sweets, reduce alcohol consumption to no more than three cocktails per week, hard cardio exercise at least three days a week. On the next 365 day orbit around the big red ball, I need to work on overall health improvement, even if it kills me.

That is quite a goal. Your 5 mi/day walking is already a good base. I hope you ramp up slowly and avoid overuse injuries.

I run a lot and walk but seem to have got to a steady state in weight. I wear the same size pants I've been wearing for decades. But I'm probably about 6 or 7 pounds heavier then 10 years ago. Part of it was eating a more balanced and nutritious breakfast.

I want to increase my number of drinks consumed by three each week. I'll just keep the same weight as long as I avoid any gains.
I want to increase my walking and strengthen my lower back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm resolute in not making any resolutions :).

I missed last year's goal - which was to learn how to make gnocchi from scratch. I will use this year as a do-over.

We tried to make gnocchi and they were heavy belly bombers. We just buy them for our imitation Olive Garden Chicken Gnoochi soup. Which is particularly good for dinner on a cold January day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Back
Top Bottom